Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor

Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor

The text editor of the Inventor drawing enviornment could use some updating.

I would like to see similar functionality as the AutoCAD editor.

• in-place editing (no dialog box)
  • contextual ribbon (but realize you still want to support those that use the previous toolbar interface)
  • numbered/bulleted lists
  • columns

An integrated spell checker would be useful was well. This would avoid having to install from the SDK.

Regards,

Jerry 

42 Comments
JBerns
Advisor

A text case control (UPPER, lower, Title, etc.) could be useful when formatting iProperty values.

jletcher
Advisor

Wow accepted man this is going to be one messy inventor when they get done adding autocad  look what happen when they added Solid works stuff..

I don't understand why you all want to type instead of setting up symbols. I guess you all miss the command line for typing..

After setting up symbols I never had to type anything for a year and then it was to make a new symbol.

JBerns
Advisor

I was not asking Autodesk to add AutoCAD to Inventor. This has nothing to do with symbols.

I requested enhanced features in the Inventor text editor.

Perhaps you do not create bullet or numbered lists, perhaps you do not require a spell checker. That's fine.

The purpose of this site is to offer constructive feedback and requests to Autodesk to enhance their products based on customer requests.

Regards,

Jerry 

jletcher
Advisor

Please Jerry I am an engineer we all know we can't spell.

I welcome a good spell checker as stated in early post.

As far as bullets or number list yes I have used them but I set it all up with symbols.

I have used Inventor from day one of being born and when symbols were not there yet. At that time I would agree. But after symbols I have never used the text editor but a few times and that was only to make new symbol.

I am glad it was accepted for you all that need it but I just hope it does not end up a big mess like the interface..

JBerns
Advisor

Acknowledged.

Autodesk has an opportunity to make a good first impression of an enhanced editor.

I worked through the metamorphosis of AutoCAD Mtext Editors since Release 12. I hope they do plenty of Usability Studies and work with Beta testers to determine the best interface. I hope you will be able to participate.

Adding features while sacrificing performance and usability is certainly not my goal. I look forward to seeing what Autodesk develops.

Regards,

Jerry

dgorsman
Consultant

FYI - BETA releases are typically for finding unexpected behavior, rather than developing  a work process or gauging its acceptance.  In order to get a reasonably consistent programming effort the specs are set at the start rather than at the end (code is the end product, not the starting point).

This would be more a function of the AutoDesk Labs, where they release a tool or plug-in for feedback by the community at large instead of a select group of "one-percenters".

DuncanAnderson
Collaborator

Might be worth noting the comments in Formatted Text about using MS Word as the text editor in an IDW/DWG.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Portions of this idea have been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2016. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it.  The Format Text dialog box has been simplified and now supports a real-time dynamic preview, formatting controls such as; bullets, numbering, text case options, strikethrough option and enhanced symbols.

ajh_ap
Enthusiast

Even with an improved text editor, the numbered lists do not align properly in IV2016.  I have created a support ticket to investigate this issue.  Hopefully it's just a bug and not by design.  If the lists were formatted as a true tab stop, like a word processor, I don't think this would happen.  I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

Andy

text_misalignment.png

JBerns
Advisor

Andy,

Could you check if there are any spaces at the end of the lines. I have heard they can cause misalignments.

Regards,

Jerry

ajh_ap
Enthusiast

Jerry,

Nope, no spaces.  It also occurs if you omit the list and press CTRL+Tab to generate the "fake" tab stops.  They appear fine in the window, but not on the sheet.

Andy

JBerns
Advisor

Andy,

I see that you were using a lettered list. Does the spacing problem occur for the other list types?

Either way, definitely submit as a bug. I hope Autodesk has a solution soon.

Regards,

Jerry 

JBerns
Advisor

Andy,

I noticed you were using Simplex_IV50. Perhaps test with different fonts to see if the problem remains.

I tested with Simplex_IV50 and different number list types, but could not reproduce the misalignment.

INV2016 - Numbered List Testing - 2015-04-07.png

You would be welcome to my test drawing, but I am not sure how to share a DWG file in this IdeaStation forum.

Regards,

Jerry

ajh_ap
Enthusiast

Jerry,

Ok, this is weird (and definitely a bug):  When I noticed the alignment issue, I was working inside the "Standard.idw" template file located in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2016\Templates.  Upon saving the template and creating a regular drawing, the numbered list works as it should!

But yes, it occurred with numbered lists, too.  It just wasn't as apparent because the numbers have similar character widths.

Andy

text_align_2.png

ajh_ap
Enthusiast

Nope, unfortunately changing the fonts doesn't make a difference.  I've logged this issue with Autodesk and they have been able to reproduce it.  It only occurs when editing a template file directly from the "Public Documents" folder.  I'm not yet sure if they're going to acknowledge it as a bug (I think they should!).

Andy

I-GOT-QUESTIONS
Participant

Seriously,

Can the developers at Autodesk, who developed the Text Editor for AutoCAD please shake hands with the developers at Autodesk who developed the Text Editor for Inventor and help them to create the same type of text editor, since the two softwares work hand-in-hand? Why would the two differ?

I am aware that Inventor 2016 now has the ability to add a Numbering or Bulleted list in an .idw, however when you are utilizing both numbers AND bullets in the same body of text, there is NO means of continuing the numbered list, as is possible in AutoCAD (shown below).

Autodesk_Genius.JPG

Is it really that difficult to throw the AutoCAD Text Editor in Inventor? I really hope there is a service pack in the very near future which will allow this complex task to be undertaken on engineering drawings used for manufacturing purposes. Without notes on an engineering drawing, what good is the drawing?

Sincerely,

Hopeful

andrewdroth
Advisor

Im I correct that the only portion of this idea that has been implemented is the numbered bullets?

DRoam
Mentor

Wait... so a built-in spell checker hasn't been implemented, and yet the dedicated Spell Checker idea has been merged into this one? So the avenue to vote for a built-in spell checker has been swallowed up into an "implemented" Idea?

Also, @andrewdroth, it appears that you are correct.

sschulteH6WZ3
Advocate

Wow Inventor 2017 and still no spell checker! How in blazes do these people even sell new seats of Inventor unless a company is already fully invested in it and just needs to add some seats? If I was looking to do a serious cad retool or first time purchase and was a decision maker I would laugh at the Autodesk salesman and show him the door. Seriously you people should spring for some seats of your competitors cad packages and see how lacking this software is. I would say the only thing Inventor has going for it is that it does not crash often.

JBerns
Advisor

Please add support to the Inventor text editor:

• to control tab positions
  • tab types (left, right, center, decimal)
  • hanging indents
  • continue numbering
  • restart numbering
  • specify start number

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report