Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drainage pans for sheet metal

Drainage pans for sheet metal

It would be nice to have a dimpling procedure in sheet metal (similar to sheet metal punch tools that create "feet" or other punched forms that do not actually cut a hole in the sheet metal face. Given a starting face, a dimple point and a dimple depth, crease  the face along the four crease lines to create a drainige pan or strengthening ribs.

Drain Pan 1.jpg

Drain Pan 2.jpg

The result is a piece of sheet metal with a depressed point at the "dimple" depth, slightly bent along the creasing lines.

Creasing sheet metal along 4 lines from a dimple point is a very common procedure for creating drain pans and strengthening sheet metal assemblies such as heating & air conditioning system conduits.

30 Comments
JohnHyslop
Enthusiast

Or

You could loft a surface like this and it has no effect on flat pattern..

make top square small and offset on new plane..

Loft-Surface.png

Also add cosmetic centerlines  😉 

You can also colour the faces if you want to show in your 3d Representation.. 

Drawing.png

Enjoy...you need to tick boxes in Drawing View > Recovery Option....  

Recovery Options.png

Cheers

John Hyslop

JohnHyslop
Enthusiast

For some reason I cannot upload the ipt file, i get an error

"The file type (.ipt) is not supported.."

Make a projected loop of the face, then a plane is offset and a new smaller

sketch 0.2x0.2 square if you're in mm.... then loft as surface not solid..the rest is easy to follow I think 🙂

See previous post.... 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/drainage-pans-for-sheet-metal/idi-p/3744249#comments

I hope this helps out.............

Cheers

John Hyslop

b.ziegler
Enthusiast

So the original request for this was late 2012, it's currently early to mid 2021.  That's 8 full years we've been waiting for this feature.  

Is this still being considered or will users always have to do some type of workaround that isn't quite right and requires many extra steps?

kschumacher
Contributor

I would also like to see this feature added.

DanSingleton
Advocate

It's been almost a decade since this idea was proposed. It's something that any manufacturer using sheet metal does on a frequent basis.

Has it been implemented yet, and if not, why not?

kfc10
Participant

@DanSingleton  Maybe Autodesk doesn't have time? They work all the time on the Fusion program. Did they put the program Inventor on the sidelines?

josvaneijzeren
Explorer

is it still not in inventor this feature?

Nick_Arthur
Explorer

It's rather disappointing that this functionality (which has been available in competing software packages for a long time now) is still not available. As mentioned in previous responses, having a 3D representation of the geometry is important for assessment of physical interfaces (clash detection etc.), and also for communication of a design to stakeholders, especially non-technical ones, for whom a 2D representation on a drawing is not easily comprehendible.

DanSingleton
Advocate

Just a hunch but I don't think we'll ever see this unless they make fundamental changes to allow for their models to handle calculated material distortion from metal forming operations. It is probably for the same reason they need to fake out and use cosmetic models for punching, stamping, and "tight" corner bend operations. Any operation that would typically cause the material's thickness to stretch, compress, expand, or bunch up causes the software as written to simply lose its mind.

ted
Explorer
Explorer

I know we have been asking for well over 10 years and it just seems to fall on deaf ears.  SolidWorks has the functionality, so I don't know why Autodesk is unwilling to do so.  It does impact simulation input/results.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report