Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault/Browser Integration

Vault/Browser Integration

Does the Vault browser really need to be a seperate window?

Couldn't we just add the colored dot next to each part in the main browser?

23 Comments
karthur1
Mentor

What a neat idea... but I would be afraid that the model browser would become too cluttered. then to perform any vautl tasks, you still have to open the vault browser  I had rather see the vault browser to be broken away totally from the model browser so that it has its own window.  That way it could stay open all the time. Then I dont have to click,click to get it open, then click, click to get back to the model browser.

I know they put a Vault menu as a context item of the model browser, but I never use that. I am always aftraid I will check out and save over something that I dont have the latest on.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Jaychale
Advocate

Another suggestion I made was to make them independent windows that you could have up at the same time, don't always need the browser to be full screen height

Jaychale
Advocate

Also the behavior of the context vault option is different, it is always doing a check in of every related part (But not drawings), whereas the vault browser looks at only the part in question (Unless you have the options for children as well)

tmoney2007
Collaborator

All we would need in the model browser would be an indication of the status of the file object in vault (checked in,  checked out by me, checked out by someone else) as well as local file status (out of date, edited out of turn, etc).

Interestingly enough, a developer at my company added this functionality for a (failed) home grown pdm system.  Its kind of funny that the native add-in doesn't have this functionality.  The moral of the story is that the api's required to make this work already exist in Inventor.

Having a flyout Vault browser that we can keep open and see the status of all the files in the model tree would be really useful as well.  I don't think there are many of us that don't usually have 2 monitors.

tmoney2007
Collaborator

I think it would be possible to completely do away with the vault panel. You really just need a file status icon and a tree view, similar to the vault panel view that only shows unique files with heirarchy as opposed to instances.

dbrblg
Collaborator

It would be a great idea if the Model and Vault sections of the Browser Pane are combined so you don't have to keep switching between them so frequently.

dvsmiller9
Advocate
Jaychale
Advocate

2 years and 28 kudos later, would it help if I add "Pretty please"?

Checking something out that you don't have the latest version of sucks. I forget to switch windows to check.

With a cherry on top?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Please ignore previous update.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

scottmoyse
Mentor

If this ever makes it to dev, I will be very keen to provide detailed feedback at that point. 

denis.bourasseau
Enthusiast

Instead of having to switch between "Vault "and "Model", just add Vault status icons in the main browser pane.

Merge Model and Vault browser panes.jpg

Tags (1)
kim.schroeder
Enthusiast

Great idea!

It would also be nice to add Vault browser commands.

karl.hosking
Contributor

This definitely gets my vote. Smiley Happy

Heathos88
Enthusiast

This is already Under Review here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/vault-browser-integration/idi-p/3743665

Nice mock-up picture!

Heathos88
Enthusiast

Kudos from me. Is this the kind of idea you mean? (see picture):

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/merge-model-and-vault-browser-panes/idi-p/5377413

drfleau
Enthusiast
What a fantastic idea ! THUMBS UP !
dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello Denis,

This idea is a duplicate of http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/vault-browser-integration/idi-p/3743665.  Please be sure to cast your kudos to the Master Idea as to not split votes.  Thanks! -Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report