Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add list of undo actions to undo menu

Add list of undo actions to undo menu

When I click "undo" or "redo", I'd like to know what I'm undoing.  Show a list of undo actions, similar to how Word or Visual Studio work.  This would also allow us to undo multiple actions at once rather than telling Inventor to undo over and over again.

Undo example.png

Like Word would be convenient, but like Visual Studio would be better. Keep a long list of the actions we've done and give it a scroll bar.  

Also, I read somewhere that closing a document clears the undo history.  If I'm remembering correctly, can that be fixed?

10 Comments
smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

bsee1
Advocate

Another addition to this, on the api side of things we can define a transaction so programmatic functions are grouped together into a single undo function.  It would be helpful if we could programmatically assign a name or description to that transaction/undo action.

SteveMDennis
Autodesk

The list is possible, there are several things that truncate the undo stream (close, LODs, etc.) That is unlikely to change in the near future, it is a very difficult issue given our design.

bsee1
Advocate

That's understandable, though inconvenient.  To bring the request down to its simplest version, even if undo itself behaves no differently than it does now, my request is this:

• Add a description of what each undo action does
  • Put undo actions in a dropdown list
  • Modify the api for transactions accordingly(so we can enter a description if our command is undone)

None of that should modify the main logic behind your undo/redo functions.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

This project [US-55200] is under review by the development team.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [US-55200]. Thanks!

DRoam
Mentor

I agree that this would be useful.

In the meantime, bsee1, you might have already known this, but if you hover over the undo button, Inventor tells you the most recent action (the action you're about to undo if you click "undo"). It doesn't list the past several undos, which would be nice, but it at least lets you know what you're getting yourself into with each individual undo.

Undo.jpg

r_lehmann79
Advocate

I've already posted this at general discussions, maybe it could be an improvement for future versions...:

I'm looking for a "Multiple Undo Option".

I mean a drop down box next to the Undo-button as it is available in Excel, for example.

As I remember it was available in older Inventor-Versions, isn't it?

Here is what I can do in Inventor:

Undo Inventor.jpg

This is what I'm looking for in Inventor:

Undo Excel.jpg

Regards

Ralf
Tags (2)
ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2017R2. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it

jeanie.wayker
Alumni

See here for more info: What's New 2017 R2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report