Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility to change dimension attachment in sketch

Possibility to change dimension attachment in sketch

For example paremeters of a part are linked to other depended parts.

There must be changes done affecting the named parameter, and this parameter is already linked to depended parts.

For example parameter WIDTH must be changed to the left edge of the sketch.

Now user must delete it and create the new dimension and then rebuild the link in each depended part to new parameter.

Edit Dim.jpg

9 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

Now user must delete it and create the new dimension and then rebuild the link in each depended part to new parameter.

Not really you just have to name the new dimension the same. So far it has worked for me.

If I have to delete a named dim I copy and paste to note pad.

But I will give kudos because that gets old, copy delete place paste etc..

And if you know me I HATE CLICKS lol.....

Smiley Very Happy

kevinb
Advocate

Huh?  I thought you could edit by just retyping "WIDTH=XXXX"?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

jletcher
Advisor

Oh one thing I forgot make sure you re-export the dimension before you save..

jtylerbc
Mentor

There is already an idea like this posted.  If you voted for this one and not the original, please cast a kudo at the other as well so we're not splitting up the votes.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Ability-to-redefine-dimensions/idi-p/4303586

karthur1
Mentor
dkatz
Advocate

Here's how I have dealt with this issue: Make a fully constrained point and dimension to it instead of the line. Then, you can delete lines/add lines/etc at will. Your point never goes away, nor does your dimension. You'll just need to fix the constraints again. I've found this to be similar to the idea in sketching of using work planes as references, as opposed to projected geometries.

DRoam
Mentor

This would make life so much easier.

Another behavior that should be implemented at the same time is this: If sketch geometry is lost due to a model change, any dimensions that were attached to that geometry should become "sick" and remain for you to re-attach if desired, rather than just disappearing as they do now. This is how dimensions in Drawings behave. Sketch dimensions should behave the same way.

It's handy for drawing dimensions to behave this way because then you don't lose any edits you made to the dimension, such as tolerances.

It's even more necessary for sketch dimensions to behave this way, because lost sketch dimensions results in lost parameters, which leads to all kinds of issues. If the dimensions remained so you could re-attach them, then parameter linking would be much more robust.

DRoam
Mentor

@Discussion_Admin, can these duplicates be merged into this one?

Technically karthur's is the original. But this one has the most votes an a nice image, and a more descriptive title. Pick your poison...

EDIT: Actually karthur's asks for some additional stuff too (for dimension arrangement to stay how we put it) so maybe merging it wouldn't be best.

Hunteil
Collaborator

I cross posted this idea into this combined idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/sketch-dimension-improvements-redefine-dimension-arran...

I assume the developers would prefer to tackle all this at the same time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report