Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change shape of IDW Detail View

Change shape of IDW Detail View

I would like to see the ability to change the shape of the detail view in an idw after it is placed.  The only way we can do this now is to delete the view and place a new one.  A simple task can turn into several minutes of work.

48 Comments
SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Status changed to: Comments Requested
If I changed from circle to rectangle would you just want us to put a square around your existing circle and recompute? Or vice versa a circle around the shortest/longest axis of the rectangle it replaces? Or simply allow you to reselect the type and redefine the rectangle/circle?
karthur1
Mentor

I was thinking just to reselect the type and redefine its size.  Would be nice if it would retain the anchor point (if it has one).

JamieVJohnson2
Collaborator

Just give us access to a closed loop sketch in the regular sketch environment.  Limit to lines and arcs, or be nice and give us splines and ellipses too.  Then run a closed loop check before the sketch is closed for use, or refuse to save the sketch changes.  Build the sketch around an origin point that can't be moved, and use that as the origin point of the detail call out.  This is similar to custom viewport clipping features in AutoCAD.

jvj

Bill.Bogan
Advocate

It really is a shame to have to delete a Detail View, after creating it, simply because you want to change from Circular > Rectangular shape or vice versa. That little toggle would save so much work on the users part.

jtylerbc
Mentor

Just ran into this on a drawing I'm working on, and came here to post this idea if it wasn't already here.  I have a detail view I'm going to have to delete from this drawing to change it from circular to rectangular.  Once I do, forever more the view labels will be messed up, counting one more detail view than actually exists.

Seems like a minor thing, but it gets incredibly annoying when you have to make this change on the second detail on a drawing that will be full of them, and all subsequent view labels will be defaulting to the wrong letter.

jdkriek
Advisor

Can't believe this doesn't have more votes - so frustrating.

kevinb
Advocate

In addition, can we adjust the corners of a rectangle without having to move the center around?  It's annoying that I have to play with the origin point when I just want to use the two corners to position.  Maybe top left and bottom right do it one way and the other two do it the other?

steve.west
Advocate

Some good comments here.

I love the basic idea of being able to change the shape after creation. Starting from scratch sometimes means re-doing all your annotation, especially if the shape change is in response to a design change.

I like the idea of being able to create a custom sketch to define the detail view shape (JamieVJohnson2). Not everyting suits a circle or rectangle.

jtylerbc makes a good comment on view labels. Sometimes you do create a detail or section view, then delete in favour of something better. View labels then get out of sequence, requiring manual change from then on.

kevinb's comment on the centre rectangle. This is a bug-bear not just in redefining but in initial creation. Corner to corner selection is much more intuitive, this should be an option if not the default, same as window selection in AutoCAD.

That's me done.

stuartmp
Advocate

I agree there should be more functionality added to this command including allowing the user to change the selection window, shape, size, type etc...

ilw
Contributor
Contributor

To answer the original 1-28-13 question...I think the software should retain the center point and generate an equal length rectangle with the inscribed circle dimensions, this would retain the existing elements in the detail drawing, and the user can then adjust the aspect/size of the source rectangle manually.

jasonrecords
Advocate

allow you to reselect the type and redefine the rectangle/circle

rclement
Collaborator

wow four versions later and they havent implimented it yet. i have to agree with others seems like a trivial but yet important thing

danmachen
Advocate

100% agree!

The best option would be to allow the user to redefine the detail view entirely, but maintaing any dimensions they placed on that view (if still visible).

Second best would be to replace it with a rectangle about the centre point and allow the user to expand it on the drawing (if necessary).

When you select the option to draw either the circular or rectangular box, they both have a centre point, so this could be used to swap from one to the other.

The same applies for the 'jagged' edges and the 'non-jagged' edges detail view option.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [653]. Thanks!

steve_lindley
Advocate

JamieVJohnson2 has the right idea. We can already alter cropped views by altering the sketch after we've been given the initial rectangle. It would suit me best to apply detail views in the same way. 

luisvaldes23
Explorer

So the idea seems to have been accepted. When would it be implemented? I did a ton of dimensioning to a detail view and I'm afraid its going to be deleted. 😞

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello @luisvaldes23,

Unfortunately due to revenue recognition ramifications I am unable to say.  A description for each Idea status can be reviewed here where it states: 

Accepted: Not only have these ideas been vetted by the community and our product teams, but we’ve also added them to our development backlog so that they can be considered for future inclusion into a given product or service. Please note: we cannot confirm that ideas with this status will be implemented and/or provide a time frame as to when they might be implemented.

Thanks & regards, Dan

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are refining procedures around idea status.  Changing this to Future Consideration.

jeffsteiger6735
Advocate

A 2018 bump for "why the hell hasn't this been implemented yet".

DJMH
Explorer

On IDW it should be great if we can make a change of Fence Shape when we create a detail view.

Change from circular to rectangular or from rectangular to circular without deleting the detail view.

Tags (6)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report