Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right click to access highlighted part's applied contraints

Right click to access highlighted part's applied contraints

It would nice to be able to select a part or an assembly, and then in the right click menu you'd be able to access the contraints that you have applied to that part or assembly instead of going through the browser to find them.

6 Comments
SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Status changed to: Comments Requested
Hi, Can you expand on "able to access the constraints"? What exactly do you want to do with the constraints? There may be 100s of them or at least more than a few. Do you want to just select them? (so you can delete all, suppress all, etc?) SO the menu would say "Select All Constraints"? Doing this is possible but I want to make sure this is all you need. One other question, would you expect this "access" to be smart about flexible sub assemblies etc? What I mean is if a part is deep in a bunch of sub assemblies but I picked the face of the part to do constraints at multiple levels, should I show them all to you or just the ones that can have impact on the part at the current level you are at (i.e. active assembly)? SOrry if that doens't make sense, it is a bit of a concept to understand and explain in text.
timdown73
Collaborator

Hello, What I'm looking for is direct access to a selected parts applied constraints. So it would be almost like an addition to the marking menu or the over flow menu. I have tried to illustrate this in the image below. In order it would be ...

1. Left click to select a part.
2. Right click to bring up marking and overflow menu. This would also bring up the selected parts applied constraints.
3. Mouse to the selected parts applied constraints and click the one you want to edit.
4. Clicking the applied constraint that you want to edit brings up the constrain dialog box so you can edit it as needed.

This would save the user from having to select the part, click "find in browser", mouse to the browser tree, expand the part to find the constraint then right clicking the constraint to click "edit".Capture2.JPG

SteveMDennis
Autodesk

OK Tim, I see what you mean now but some parts have dozens of constraints. So I would imagine this would have to be something similar to the select other tool whereby you get a drop down list that can be scrolled through, as you scroll it highlights the geometry of the constraint and you see the name and offset...  OK I get it. Thanks

SteveMDennis
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2014. Enhancements were made to the Free Move command within assemblies. When invoked, you can select and temporarily reposition a part or sub assembly within the assembly allowing you to access visual constraint/joint icons (indicators) and take action (edit or delete). A visual "rubber band" relationship indicator is also visible when invoked. Selecting update restores the position of the component based on the applied constraints/joints. There are also three new commands that aid in better understanding assembly relationships, "Show", "Show sick" and "Hide All". Please be sure to check them out. Thanks!

timdown73
Collaborator

Very cool!  I will be looking forward to trying out this functionality in the new release.  This forum is a big asset to end users. Thanks for considering the idea and the implementation.Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report