Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center support for assemblies

Content Center support for assemblies

I would like content center to support assemblies.

20 Comments
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

ca-d.one
Advisor

Es wäre sehr wünschenswert, wenn Baugruppen über Inhalts Center funktionalität (Auto Drop) zu platzieren wäre. Generell wäre es super wenn im Inhalts Center Baugruppen verwaltbar wären.

Bing Translate

It would be highly desirable for assemblies to be placed through Content center functionality (auto drop). In general, it would be great if assemblies were manageable in the content center.
dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi all,

Thumbs up, already make it exist

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

good idea

I would love the ability to have assemblies in the content library. This probably covers custom content library items for the most part.

I have come up against numerous instances when having library based assemblies would be useful. Here are some examples.

For example for a simple lid with a handle and seal. I might have different center distances, height, thickness and material for the handle. I might have different thicknesses or materials for the seal. Likewise the lid may be square with different dimentions or a variety of other designs, all using the same handle, or a selection of sizes.

I use a lot of valves. Many of these valves use a combination of handles, actuators and controls. With these valves, they could for example use the same size handle or control for different size valves. I find I create many valves assemblies and simply swap the valve body. The valves in the content center are static single solid body models. If they could be assemblies it would be possible to do things like move the handles. Many valve handles are levers and vary in length considerably. In my own models, which can be quite complex I like to move the valve handles to prove that they adequatly clear other components

With unions for example, the content center parts are a single solid body, for the female part, the liner part and the nut part. With our own drawings I feel it is logical to split pipe assemblies at a union and send the workshop the drawings of the different sections, particularly if the pipework is welded. At present we cannot do this using the unions from the content library because they do not split. As it happens many of the unions we use are not available in the content center and I have added custom librarys for the indivudual parts. This also helps make it clear which way round the union is to be. When I insert these unions I must insert the parts seperately. If we had content center assemblies I could have another family that specified which parts of the union were used together to create the whole. This would allow me to insert one component, while also being able to independantly seperate the union if necessary.

brotherkennyh
Advocate

Hi, I would love this ability and posted the same idea some time ago. I ahve given it a more extensive description at the link below

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/content-center-library-assemblies/idi-p/5803450

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

esteffes
Contributor

GK would like to have assemblies in the Content center, currently we can only put custom parts in the content center. We have leveraged the use of I parts and I assemblies in our cad system and this is a great fit for the content center. The problem is content center only allows parts. 

This is a major problem for us when it comes time to upgrade from one version to the next. We have to check out all of our I assemblies manually update them and then generate all of the versions to be able to use them with the vault. Currently this process is very time consuming and tedious. If it was in the content center we think this would be a much easier path to upgrade from one version to the next. We have to upgrade vault first and then update all library standards to the upgrade for Inventor. 

freesbee
Collaborator

This would open very interesting possibilities.

For some very specific cases we made in our templates some assemblies based on content center parts (conical bearings with sleeve, washer and nut). This way the IPTs are stored in the content center, and the IAMs are stored in the PDM. When a user needs a new "bearing assembly" he simply creates a new IAM from the template and changes parts from the content center to the required size.

This strategy also avoids problems by product upgrades because standard parts are migrated before PDM assemblies.

Having the option of iFactories directly in the content center would save this additional step and PDM workflows, and the user could get faster to the selection needed.

j.jegier
Participant

Hi Autodesk, this idea is very good. It's because parts don't have ability to move and there is a lot assemblies that need to move. For example hinges, pneumatic/hydraulic cylinders etc. These parts are the same in many projects and me as an engineer need to waste a lot of time. It would save time and money to have it in Content Center Library. Please implement this idea in next version of Inventor.

licenses
Contributor

Hallo,

wir arbeiten viel im Contentcenterbereich.

es wäre schön, wenn man Iassemblys in den ContentCenter publizieren kann.

außerdem die Publizierten Dateien in der Zeichnung als Variante wechseln zu können.

viele Grüße

aspecchio
Explorer

This would be very helpful to have assemblies in the content center. Right now we have to have a read-only library for assemblies, and our parts in the content center. Which makes to different work flows for the users, which makes it hard.

JaroslavSereda9518
Participant

Hi, I agree with that idea and I hope that that It will be possibility to reuse assemblies with another type of changes - e.g. to change of dimensio of pipe, valves.  It coud be based on heredity in piping runs e.g. reuse distributor in heating  with all valves, pumps, termometers etc.

J.Sereda

MarkNeilson
Contributor

While R/O Libraries are a work around, they don't allow for the assembly to be inserted as a custom Template so that it can be modified for a specific project as the CC does. For me, I get frustrated when I'm building a Custom Mold and I find little to choose from. For example "DME", their selection is very limited as compared to the products they offer and little if any updating or adding has taken place for years. I can model the Bases myself and even download them from them or other sources but I can't get them into the CC.
If I wanted to go the metric non-American route, I do have a bit more selection but it still is lacking. Why aren't their more US Manufactures in the Molding realm … DME, National, PCS and others to name a few?

dusan.naus.trz
Advisor

Hi,

Next Context

Cannot create part library for businesses with Inventor tools. Third party programming or software must be used. This is a big limitation for companies that have part catalogs.

2020-02-03_13h24_18.png

ErhardKlamminger
Enthusiast

It would be very useful to support assemblies in Content Center.

A big advantage will be to bring up models like hydraulic cylinders with flexible constraints.

Thank you

tmuel
Advocate

This is a duplicate. I know voted this up over 5 years ago.

tmuel
Advocate

The thread I was thinking of was a lot older than 5 years old. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/content-center-support-for-assemblies/idi-p/3684270

More than anything, I want this so we can stop using iAssemblies that have perpetually "dirty children".

Iterative members controlled in a table that would only be modified intentionally would be so much better than holding the member definition in a "factory.iam" which may have pending updates that have no impact on its corresponding members, but causes them to be dirtied.

Regards - Tim

esteffes
Contributor

This would be something that many companies can take advantage of and make managing company assemblies much easier.

MarkNeilson
Contributor

It would also be useful for many other Molding Assemblies like a Custom Moldbase too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report