Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better surface modeling inside Inventor

Better surface modeling inside Inventor

Hi we have Inventor and Product Design Suite and various other CAD packages. In our team often we have to do some surface modelling and to be honest Inventor just isn’t great at this at all and then we always have to revert back to Solidworks. Construction surfaces are not always enough guys really!

We need surfacing power like in Alias, Solid Works, Catia please!!! And no we don’t want to learn yet another product (Alias) with a completely different way of working and toolbar layout and , and , and… Solidworks has mastered this “One product many functionalities” approach and it works really great. Once you know SW you get into the other stuff easily because the environment is familiar. With Inventor you have to learn the product every time you want to do surface modelling because lets face it, you might not need to do it or use that functionality for months at a time…

Anyway it would be really cool to see the technology, that certainly exists, filter down into Inventor.

33 Comments
MattH_Work
Collaborator

Come on Autodesk, give us T-Splines in Inventor!

Solidworks and Rhino has it so why not the flag ship product of the company that actually owns it?

tech
Enthusiast

Yes that would be really cool as well! And PLEASE not another external program like Fusion and Alias. Put it inside Inventor please.

DWhiteley
Advisor

I so agree with this one.

I'm sick of being told that there is a financial reason that decent surfacing is not in Inventor!

Yes, I'm sure Adesk can do this, but will it be 10 years too late (just like Tooling was 10 years too late).

MattH_Work
Collaborator

Unfortunetly, Autodesk seem to think its OK to put T-Splines in Fusion 360 (see http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=20884205&siteID=123112 ) and not in the full version. Come on Autodesk, give us the tools in 1 application rather than making us jump through hoops.

Raider_71
Collaborator
I agree! I saw that as well and we have been holding our breath and hoping that there would be a Labs add-in for T-splines but nothing coming. Autodesk keeps on creating these "pockets" of tools or applications and it's not really helping their existing end-users. It's great for marketing of course... Give us the tools in one application please!!! You have created such a great "platform" in Inventor. Now build one it...
AlbertoTorres
Advocate

More agile environment surfaces.
improve tools
Rhino style without restrictions during the design / publishing to create free-form elements.
More tools to create / edit surfaces.

fprico
Collaborator

I would like to see more surface tools like it is in catia. and the Inventor shell command often does not work and could not be done. there should be an option that you could achieve a result with an approximation.

fprico
Collaborator

totally agree, inventor should have the ability to produce complex surface model like in Catia that is all in one.

fprico
Collaborator

To me it happend that the transparent surfaces don t let me see anything

cadman777
Advisor

I agree w/the need for better surfacing, since I regularly do surfacing in the process industry, in combination w/structural, equipment and machinery.

However, do NOT make it like SW. I use SW and it's "feature rich" but "work-flow poor". SW also has a lot of problems w/their sufacing. It's also VERY difficult to use b/c it's so "scatter brained".

I like the Inventor work-flow, but we need surfacing like RHINO, but function like bi-directional solids modeling.

... Chris

smithar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

fprico
Collaborator

I need more surface tools like NX or Catia. I don t like the idea to move to an other software to make a surface model.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

This idea has been requested here. Please provide kudos to the master idea as to avoid spliiting votes. Thanks!

fprico
Collaborator

Ok, I will try not to repeat. thanks!.

fprico
Collaborator

I want something similar to Catia V5 or NX UGS in terms of surfacing, inside inventor. Also the freeforming tool in NX seems very flexible and easy to make complex models.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

No worries.  We are glad to see so much passion surrounding improving Inventor.  Regards -Dan

fprico
Collaborator

Also I need presition and easy of use that you can not something like rhinoceros but like catia that you can make a blend between surfaces and then pick ends points of the blend and drag them where you want it. 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

This idea has been requested here. Please provide kudos to the master idea as to avoid spliiting votes. Thanks!

fprico
Collaborator

I don t know too much about meshes, but I think that if they can not be fillet the edges of the mesh with a certain radius, is not to much useful

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Hello, this idea is a duplicate of a previous request for enhanced surfacing tools in Inventor. View the Master idea here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Better-surface-modeling-inside-Inventor/idi-p/370... and please be sure to cast your kudos there as well as to not split the votes amongst duplicate ideas. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report