Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawings - Allow Multiple View Alignment

Drawings - Allow Multiple View Alignment

Currently (Inventor 2013), if I select a view to align to another view, I can only align it to one view, either Horizontally or Vertically, but what if I want to align that view to one Horizontally and then to another Vertically?

You can't do that for some strange reason still.

I'm not talking about Protjecting views, every now and then I need to create a drawing of different models on the same sheet and would like to have the views all lined up with one another. That's not possible yet for some odd reason.

This should be pretty easy to add. Am I missing something?

42 Comments
catot
Advocate

When you in a drawing have a view that is aligned to an other view, I would wish I had the opportunity to align it to a second view. In other words, I would really like to have the ability to choose horizontal and vertical alignment in the same drawing view.The only choice you have when wanting to align a view that already is aligned, is to break that alignment.

Tags (3)
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

ic198
Advocate

It would also be great if you could select what is horizontally or vertically aligned within a view. I would particularly like the ability to align using included Origin or Workplanes. For example, I would like to be able to align views of different parts or assemblies using Origin centrline planes.

LT.Rusty
Advisor

I'd also love to see being able to align detail views to each other based on the center of the view, like you can with base views, rather than what appears to be based on the relative positions of the things that they're showing.

RobJV
Collaborator

I often have section views that I need to break alignment and then align horizontally and vertically to another view.  This would be perfect!

LT.Rusty
Advisor

While we're on the subject, how about having the alignment for detail views be based on the center of the detail viewport, rather than the relative positions of the two detail viewports in relation to the center of the base view?

ic198
Advocate
Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

... and maybe it could also be nice to have some insight as to what alignment information may already exist?

what i mean is, for a drawing that has already has views aligned, instead of having to to drag every view around to see what is aligned and what isn't, we could potentially have a function like :

"right click" on view / "show me any alignment in this view" / "show me any alignment in all views" choices. this could show a highlighted dashed line from one view to another. even having the opportunity to kill any of these current alignments at the time by clicking a "marker" that could be shown on each dashed line.

just ideas.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

raith-mb
Advocate

This alignment vertically to one view AND horizontally to an other view had already been standard in older Versions of Inventor years ago. I had a CER in July 2009 for this Fault.
This alignment was ok until Inventor 2009 SP2. But Autodesk just closed the CER without modification. (exactly like: It's not a bug, it's a feature!")

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted idea [437]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

This idea has been logged twice. I kept the newer idea Open as the parent as it had more kudos as of 5/28/2013. Either way - the idea has been accepted [US17075 & US17076]. Here is the Master Ideal - moving forward, please use it to cast your kudos (votes).

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/v1232/article-id/1469

Thanks.

GCIIEvan
Contributor

I have been using AutoCAD for a while, and just started using Inventor for some assembly and installation drawings. One of the more frustrating things I've had to deal with in the transition is the lack of tools for laying out pages in IDW files.

For example, a drawing I'm currently working on has a couple pages of overall views of assemblies, with subsequent pages containing details. In laying out the details on a page, I cannot perform the most basic tasks in organizing the page to look professional.

I have six details on a page. Besides eye-balling it, there is no way to arrange these details to align horizontally or vertically in a grid (the alignment options are based on the center of the detail's contents, without flexibility). There is no way to create each detail view so that the cutout circles are the exact same size. There is no way to keep the relative position of each detail name/scale consistent. And these are just the tasks I've wanted to perform on my current project.

By contrast, AutoCAD's drafting tools inherently create such a simple way to organize the pages. If I want to get really into it, I can create guides (with plot settings turned off) that I can snap any part of any MView window to, copy these guides (with basepoint) from page to page, get the properties of and resize the MView windows to be equally-sized, etc.

I am admittedly surprised at the scarcity of discussion of this issue that I've found in searches in recent days. There is no doubt Inventor is a powerful tool and I've found myself preferring it for more and more applications. But the lack of page layout tools is such a glaring shortcoming to me.

crmayo
Advocate

Most of these issues could be resolved if you detailed one part per sheet.

GCIIEvan
Contributor

They aren't parts. They're assembly details.

Putting each on individual sheets would result in a 22-page drawing (and a lot of empty space on each page). It seems a bit ridiculous to do this in leiu of a modeling program developing better layout tools.

Another shortcoming I encoutered today: No text-wrapping (or text-box-like features) in leader text.

TCMDESIGN_Group
Enthusiast

although the alignment tool is handy, it is only one-dimensional.....alignment to 2 related views (1 horizontal, 1 vertical) would be very helpful

jtylerbc
Mentor

See duplicate idea on the Inventor Ideastation, which is already Accepted.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/v1232/article-id/1469

Thermeco-Cad
Enthusiast

And could be nice if somebody from Autodesk comes with an answer!

philip.s
Alumni

michaelfeinstein
Contributor

As a Revit & Inventor user, this is a feature sorely missed in Inventor.  After I hit post I'll be checking to see if "nudge" has been posted to the ideastation as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report