cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divide tenant into "Project" areas

Divide tenant into "Project" areas

It would be VERY useful to allow a tenant to be divided into secure "Projects" so that access to information relating to different projects could be controlled centrally.  This should allow workspaces to be managed centrally, but used optionally on each project.  Similarly, roles should be managed centrally, but users are given a role on each project allowing them to have differing levels of access.  This model is already used to good effect in Buzzsaw.

6 Comments
john.stewart
Autodesk

The concept of Projects can also be applied to Buildings for Facility Management.

A large builder can provide access to the owner/operator after commissioning to create

accident/service/maintenance requests and interact with Project schedules/tasks related to the Buildings that they are assigned to.

Similarly if the Owner/Operator will want to allow specific groups of vendors to have access to create Accident/service/maintenance requests and interact with Project schedules/tasks related to specific Buildings that the Vendor has contracts on.

scottmoyse
Mentor

Yes, currently I want our customers to log into PLM and only see Items relating to their Projects. For me to achieve that I have to only allow them access to Items which they own or are owners of. Thats a PITA! I want to be able to add them to a project and be done with it. 

I think you could achieve some of this via scripting & automatically assigning the Project User Group as an owner (based on the project field value you select), but again its a lot of overhead to add to each Item creation script.

Assigning addtional owners as a person or a group automatically based on selections from other fields has been a common request. Let me investigate this abit more. One customer currently creates a group for each project, they then create a template item and use this for all new records, assigning users to the group as they need access.

jared.sund
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted
Great conversation! John (participant in this thread) and I have spoken about this very topic, and I understand that there is a need to improve how we manage access controls. I’m going to move this idea to “Comments Requested” so we can continue to discuss issues and solutions for this topic. We could expand access to Additional Owners (accepts individuals and groups) via the scripting engine a short term fix, however Scott’s correct in that this still has a lot of overhead associated with it. There are other ideas floating around to help improve user/groups/roles management… I also like this idea of project areas within a tenant, however I’m a little worried about the complexity of managing this as well. Let’s keep this conversation going, and see if we can hash out some more ideas!
jared.sund
Alumni

Also see, Facilities Management : Group Access Control to specific FM related Items (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-PLM-360-IdeaStation/Facilities-Management-Group-Access-Contro...) for more information on this topic.

benderk
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Hello - 

Due to the current direction of the product, we are not considering this idea for implementation at this time.  Thank you for your contribution, every idea is welcome.  We encourage your continued participation on the Idea Station.

Keri Bender | Global GTM Business Strategy Manager, Product Lifecycle Management

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report