Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Autoloader to allow easier batch upload

Update Autoloader to allow easier batch upload

I would like to see an easier way to batch upload design files, particularly older autoCAD .dwg files.

For instance if my company is re-using a design and we have over 3000 CAD files from...let's say 1995, I want to be able to put every single one of these files into Vault for modification, reference, and use in new CAD files.

Right now the only straight forward way to do this is to use Autoloader, and lets be honest Autodesk, Autoloader is a dumpster fire. It is extremely finicky with directory structure, file associations, file types, and file age. So my CAD files circa 1995 give Autoloader a headache and it refuses to load the files into Vault with any amount of coercion. I understand the premise of Autoloader and maintaining file association but I would still rather get a root canal than use Autoloader because it is impossibly stubborn.

So what about drag and drop? I would like to drag and drop these files using Vault Explorer, I have administrator rights to the vault, so one would think I would understand the CAD system well enough and could make the decision whether or not to ignore file associations right? No way no how. This is a design file and must be checked in using the appropriate application. Hey Autodesk, how about you allow administrators to check in design files regardless of file associations?

So how did I get my 3000 cad files from 1995 into Vault? I could have spent 3 months of my company's time opening up every drawing, converting to a modern CAD file, and check them in one by one. No way, isn't this a major feature of Vault, to save time? And after all, time is money, so I created an ACADE project, added the 3000 cad files to the project, and then checked the project in, ACADE kicking and screaming the whole time. This took 10 times longer than it should have and involved many additional steps.

So Autodesk, I'm begging that you allow easier methods to bulk upload design files. Your users will find a way to get around Autoloader and put the files in anyway, why not just fix Autoloader so it does what your loyal CAD users want? I don't care if the CAD file is too old for Autoloader to open and check for file associations, put the stupid thing in Vault! Also, Autoloader is so locked down anyway why is a user required to have administrative rights to use it?

3 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted
Vault Explorer allows you to add CAD files by turning off the restriction. Also you can use the Add Folder option in AutoCAD to add the 3000 files using the CAD product. You can also create a LISP script to perform an update and add the file to Vault. Have you tried any of these?
Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Vault product team
Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report