Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Files (All at Once) From Different Folders

Moving Files (All at Once) From Different Folders

Hello,

I believe Vault should allow a user somehow to be able to move files from different folders into a similar folder all at once. It would be convenient to conduct a search and be able to move all the related files into a folder of choice. Right now Vault has a restriction where you can only move files that are in the same folder. This might be a difficult request for Vault to accomplish, but I think would be well worth it. Please consider.

11 Comments
mbodnar
Advocate

What would be beneficial is also the ability to move all the related files for a specific assembly (ie. all files listed in the uses tab) by selecting all files in the uses tab and performing the move command

Max B

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

j_spiradek
Advocate

It would be very helpful in moving assembly with all parts

obourne
Advocate

This is a great idea. I've wanted that since Vault 4.

I was an AE in the ADSK channel (for 6 years) and I had MANY Vault users ask about doing that. The idea was they could be working on "prototype" design with different users contributing and storing files in their respective personal folders in vault. Then once the design had some legs they would move it into a production folder and assign P/Ns.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Maxim-CADman77
Advisor

ihayesjr ,

Do you want move or copy (as stated in idea you have posted earlier http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-IdeaStation/Copy-files-from-multiple-folders-into-one-folder/idi...)?

tmoney2007
Collaborator

This has the possibility of creating huge amounts of pain for some environments.  My company has a large set of standard parts and assemblies that are configured to customer requirements.  Unfortunately, we rely on folders to keep them organized.  The other wrinkle comes from us reusing parts between different folders.

I can just see parts getting lost because they were grabbed and moved with their parent assembly.

Maxim-CADman77
Advisor

AFAIK the idea has nothing common with "moving parts ... with their parent assembly". User want to move files that are in different folders (ex. results of some search) to one folder.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

danmachen
Advocate

I think this idea is great! I was just about to post the idea myself! 

Particularly like the idea of moving all the referenced files in an assembly to a unique folder.

I wonder how Vault could warn you if the same file was referenced in two assemblies though and you tried to move it?!?  hhhmmm....

kwilson_design
Collaborator

We need to be able to move files from different folders to another folder all at once. I'm painstakingly having to move over 36,000 files from their own subfolder based on the part number and place them into a singular main subfolder for each part number schema. This is taking WAYYYY too much time to do manually one file at a time. There has to be a better way. Please make this possible in future versions of Vault!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report