Vault IdeaStation
Share your wish list directly with the Autodesk Vault Development Team
90 Kudos
jeff.noel

Rollback Revision Increment

by Valued Contributor jeff.noel on ‎07-25-2012 12:44 PM

Hi,

If a user accidently makes a change state of a model from Released to Work In Progress, it will increment the revision, and then leave us with no way to go back to the previous revision.  I understand why you would do this, as we shouldn't be going backwards with Revisions, so I don't believe every user should have access to this functionality, but an Administrator should be able to override the Revision if they determined there was a mistake made and we need to go backwards.

Thanks, 

Comments
by Valued Contributor jdow on ‎03-02-2013 11:15 AM

Agreed. this is a needed solution for file based workflows.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-29-2013 06:25 AM

Maybe in Vault Pro or Colaboration this is a function, but in workgroup the ability to roll back to a previous revision is not there.  I have had this function in other PDM softwares.  This needs to be considered strongly as a much needed enhancement.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-01-2013 05:14 AM

You can't "roll back", but you can create a new version of the document based off an older revision.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-01-2013 05:48 AM

There are times when you want to roll a document back to a previous revision.  Sometimes because revisions were changed mistakenly or someone changes their mind and doesn't want to make the revision so it is best to go back to the previous revision.

Like I said, I was able to do this in other PDM vault softwares and the operation was quite easy.

Why not in Vault?

by Distinguished Contributor obourne on ‎04-15-2013 01:19 PM

I would agree that this function is sorely needed.

In Vault Pro if you are using the item master you can rollback a revision of an item but NOT a file that is only under only state based security. That ability is needed by document centric Vault users.

Sometimes design needs change and it negates the need for a rev. We need the ability to to roll back.

by Employee on ‎04-17-2013 02:04 PM
Status changed to: Future Consideration

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-24-2013 02:56 AM

I agree with the above.  When you give the everyday user the ability to up-issue documents, immediately you are giving them the chance of error.  Not only that, changes are requested and often withdrawn, and we're left with an up-issue and no change.  I've always had to give out a **** & balls story about how it's not possible to have 2 historical variations of the same revision number as that's always been the Autodesk stance... but a roll back erasing all trace of the up-issue ever happening should be possible.

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-24-2013 04:50 AM

Neil,

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!  If I could give you kudos for your comment I would.

:smileyvery-happy:

What you described is what I had to deal with at my old job.  Human error and constantly having to rollback revisions based on errors like you said was only one reason to have it.

by Valued Contributor gary.belisle on ‎05-07-2013 07:52 AM

This is definately high on the want list. Our company had to disable all the autmatic revision bumping because you can't go back. We force the users to do it manually. There are too many human errors and many times a change that is requested doesn't go through and the rev needs to get rolled back on a file but cannot. So we end up deleting the files from the vault and reloading them at the correct revision. Of course you say bye-bye to all the history which is counter to the purpose of Vault in the first place.

by Jim.Kahle on ‎05-20-2013 10:19 AM

Here here!  The functionaity should be a top priority

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Top Kudoed Authors