Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rollback Revision Increment

Rollback Revision Increment

Hi,

If a user accidently makes a change state of a model from Released to Work In Progress, it will increment the revision, and then leave us with no way to go back to the previous revision.  I understand why you would do this, as we shouldn't be going backwards with Revisions, so I don't believe every user should have access to this functionality, but an Administrator should be able to override the Revision if they determined there was a mistake made and we need to go backwards.

Thanks, 

47 Comments
dherman469
Advocate

Hello,

For Items, I can change the state forward and then roll it back if I find that the state change was a mistake.  Please add this feature to the file level revision scheme as well.  We will be forced to continue using Items to control the revision of documents, because we can't take the chance of not being able to rollback an error or mistake. 

Daniel Hermanson

dvsmiller9
Advocate

It would also be nice to have a mechanism to be able to pick the type of revision increment when changing state.  There are situations where I don't want to always revise by the Primary and need to pick Secondary or Tertiary.  Currently I would have to turn off Bump Revision or set it to Bump Tertiary and change revision again once it's in Work In Progress' state to get what I want.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

jparks_79
Collaborator

I would like to have this request above almost all others. it is such a huge hassle if a user accidentilly bumps a rev through state change or sync property. Especially if a file is used on several assemblies.

jweiss1313
Collaborator

I agree 100% that Vault needs this functionality.  We have Vault Professional yet we have no plans for implemention the Vault item master and ECO module.  We have an item master that lives in our ERP system and have not currentl plans to maintain two.  We need to capability to roll back revisions when a change gets rejected or cancelled.  I've discussed this with some Autodesk folks and they all say implement the item master and ECO module and then you can do this.  NOT ALL CUSTOMERS CAN OR ARE WILLING TO DO THIS!  Vault needs to have this file centric functionality.  We moved from 3rd party PDM to Vault last year and this is the sngle most feature that we as a company feel needs to be part of Vault.

John Weiss

CAD Administrator

Follett Corporation

bschupbach
Contributor

I could not agree more.  This is one of the single biggest issues my company faces as we rollout Vault from Product Development to the rest of the company.  Multiple engineers have brought up this issue independently in my company.  To start our ECR process we change our state from "released" to inwork" which triggers a rev bump so we can make the proposed changes to the drawing.  Then we initiate an ECR within our ERP system and attach a PDF of the proposed new Rev to this ECR to communicate the change.  Our Engineering Changes often have to go clear to our end customer and rejections are not uncommon.  What then?  I have yet to figure out a work-around here...

Aside from rejected ECR's, even adminstrators can accidentally bump a rev sometimes.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

cbenner
Mentor

Agree 100%  We're moving more into actually USING lifecycles the way they were meant to be used... but along the line certain files have benn revised in Vault incorrectly.  Roll back would be awesome as long as there was good security on it... Admin function only.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

tmoney2007
Collaborator

Setting the revision to bump on the transition to "release" would be the proper methodology to protect against this.  You would need the ECO workflow to be allowed to put a file back into "released" if it were rejected.  Having to go through the workflow give accountability to the process by tracking those that make those mistakes and why they happen. 

It makes more sense to me than discarding a revision, and if any downstream systems trigger off of a revision change, you wouldn't run into issues.

That brings on the issue of what to do with the versions that are numerically higher than the latest released revision, but business rules can work around this.  "Any further modifications must start from the last released revision" could handle it.  Or, the eco process that moves the LC back to "released" could discard later version. 

jdow
Advocate

Agreed. this is a needed solution for file based workflows.

Cadmanto
Mentor

Maybe in Vault Pro or Colaboration this is a function, but in workgroup the ability to roll back to a previous revision is not there.  I have had this function in other PDM softwares.  This needs to be considered strongly as a much needed enhancement.

Tags (1)
john.laidler
Advisor

You can't "roll back", but you can create a new version of the document based off an older revision.

Cadmanto
Mentor

There are times when you want to roll a document back to a previous revision.  Sometimes because revisions were changed mistakenly or someone changes their mind and doesn't want to make the revision so it is best to go back to the previous revision.

Like I said, I was able to do this in other PDM vault softwares and the operation was quite easy.

Why not in Vault?

obourne
Advocate

I would agree that this function is sorely needed.

In Vault Pro if you are using the item master you can rollback a revision of an item but NOT a file that is only under only state based security. That ability is needed by document centric Vault users.

Sometimes design needs change and it negates the need for a rev. We need the ability to to roll back.

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Neil_Cross
Mentor

I agree with the above.  When you give the everyday user the ability to up-issue documents, immediately you are giving them the chance of error.  Not only that, changes are requested and often withdrawn, and we're left with an up-issue and no change.  I've always had to give out a **** & balls story about how it's not possible to have 2 historical variations of the same revision number as that's always been the Autodesk stance... but a roll back erasing all trace of the up-issue ever happening should be possible.

Cadmanto
Mentor

Neil,

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!  If I could give you kudos for your comment I would.

Smiley Very Happy

What you described is what I had to deal with at my old job.  Human error and constantly having to rollback revisions based on errors like you said was only one reason to have it.

gary.belisle
Advocate

This is definately high on the want list. Our company had to disable all the autmatic revision bumping because you can't go back. We force the users to do it manually. There are too many human errors and many times a change that is requested doesn't go through and the rev needs to get rolled back on a file but cannot. So we end up deleting the files from the vault and reloading them at the correct revision. Of course you say bye-bye to all the history which is counter to the purpose of Vault in the first place.

Jim.Kahle
Observer

Here here!  The functionaity should be a top priority

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report