Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag & Drop - Vault to Application

Drag & Drop - Vault to Application

I would LOVE to see Drag'n'Drop functionality from Vault to Inventor Assemblies and the Application Window, While keeping folder references valid.

At the moment you can Drag'n'Drop files from Vault to Inventor, but it opens them from a temporary directory. Now that Vault allows us to specify a default Project File. it should be able to open the part from the working directory instead. 

Ideally it would allow us to drop a file into an assembly by dropping into the assembly file edit window or open a file by dropping onto the application title bar.

This functionality would enable users to search Vault for parts using keyword search (skip the 3rd party PLM system in our case), browse the search results using thumbnails, then just place the desired part straight into our assembly without the need to 'Get' the files, then 'Place' them.

Awesome idea... Make sure you spell my name right in the credits!

31 Comments
mthomas
Collaborator

I completely agree and its SO close right now as it works excepts it uses a temporary file location

Maarten65
Advocate

100% support from me!

obourne
Advocate

I totally agree.

Maarten65
Advocate

Would make working with Vault in one screen and inventor in the other very easy and fast.

tmoney2007
Collaborator

This would be extremely helpful.  All of our engineers work with 2 monitor (at least) so anything that adds utility to that setup would be very welcome.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

olearya
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

mdurst
Enthusiast

This was actually something you could do in previous versions of Vault.  I want to say that it was actually ProductStream 2009 where you could do this.

It seems silly to me that this isn't already a feature. When I first dragged a part from vault and discovered it ended up in a temporary folder I thought it was a bug. Cant believe such a helpful feature hasn't been implemented yet.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

xavier_dumont2
Collaborator

For a every day work this is a great idea. Hope to see this in a future release 🙂

machiel.veldkamp
Collaborator

So is this coming to 2017 then?

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

You can get this solution from our App Store.

Autodesk Place from Vault 2017

machiel.veldkamp
Collaborator

Well. That's awesome. Thanks!

xavier_dumont2
Collaborator

Yeah, perfect.

I just open a support case (through the provided email address on the app webpage) regarding placing release file into an assembly (I get a red vault status that explain me the file was moved or renamed). Hope this will be fix quickly.

Uwe_Lindner
Collaborator

If anyone Need a Workaround then "Google" NuPplace Documents or look at www.nuptools.de/

SER4
Collaborator

@ihayesjr, it appears this app is no longer available.  Also this drag & drop functionality is still not working in 2019--still going to TEMP folder.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@SER4 when we review idea post, we just to implement a feature that solves the problem that the idea is trying to address. We do not always solve the problem in the manner that the person who submitted the idea suggested. This idea was implemented by adding the Insert int CAD option when you right-click on a component in the Vault client.

RonnieHan
Explorer

100% support, very useful feature.

David.Zolnoski
Explorer

1000% on board with this.  ALL IN.

This is potentially a GAME CHANGING time saver.

Devs - Please get on this RIGHT AWAY.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report