Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't Let the Job Processor Consume an Inventor License

Don't Let the Job Processor Consume an Inventor License

The job processor also pulls an Inventor license when it is processing Inventor files meaning that I can not have it running during business hours. To me there should be a method for it to update DWF files without consuming an Inventor license

24 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

tmoney2007
Collaborator

I agree.  DWF creation shouldn't consume a license.

masureb
Autodesk

And why the user which has Acad or Inventor has to wait for the Job server to print his drawing?!

In a small company with less than 5 licences, it´s a real issue for our partner to implement Vault...

For CAD user Job server should not consume any license....

scottmoyse
Mentor

Currently to use the Job Processor reliably when bumping revisions on the way to a released state you need the following requirements to be in place:

1. A dedicated license of Autodesk Inventor
  2. A dedicated Vault license.
  3. A dedicated workstation with a support GPU for Inventor

Frankly, these additional costs which amount due to the simple need of bumping revisions on the way to a Released/Locked state is ridiculous. Not to mention a nasty surprise for unwitting Vault Workgroup & Professional customers. 

In New Zealand, that adds up to nearly $15,000 plus assocaited on going costs! When you have a site of 30 CAD users, you can almost swallow that. But when you have a design office of less than 5 users, it's almost impossible to justify.

Please work with the Inventor team to rectify this.... AutoCAD users aren't affected by this issue, which most certainly makes Inventor users feel like they are being ripped off.

Ideally, the job processor would just run server side. Customers already make a significant investment in Vault and generally continue to do so in various forms. Either make the JP a separate bolt on cost (which kind of already exists based on the requirement of a dedicated license for it!!), so there are no hidden costs, or make it work properly within a reasonable and transparent framework (with no additional costs).

pcrawley
Advisor

If I could give this idea more than 1 kudos I would.

This situation is directly responsible for some customer not upgrading.

cbenner
Mentor

Agree 100%.  To pay for a lisense of a tool, then have to pay for another to be able to use it.....

scottmoyse
Mentor

I've kinda of duplicated the idea here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideastation/remove-requirement-for-a-full-inventor-license-with-...

But there are a few additional points there worth considering. The JP should be run server side predominantely in addition to this licensing issue.

punisher
Collaborator

Totally agreed.

mthomas
Collaborator

I've wanted this ever since the Job Processor has been introduced. Such great potential, so many roadblocks

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideastation/don-t-let-the-job-processor-consume-an-inventor-lice...

Mike

rockdale
Community Visitor

Totally agree

iancross
Advocate

Amen to this! 

Ian

stuarts
Advocate

Yes, Yes, and YES! 

I completly agree with scott.

As a reseller I am a little embarrassed to have to tell customers they need not only an additional license of vault to process jobs but also inventor, and potentially revit.

This is probably another request altogether but improving the stability and performance of the job processor too. At a customer site we have had to configure the job processor to process 1 job at a time because it falls over so frequently, the problem with this is they have 20+ users utilizing vault, changing lifecycles, submitting visualizations to queue, properties syncing and viz updates on state changes. The list grows quickly when it can only process one job at a time, and what often happens is the state changes before it can sync properties or create viz.

The only option is to tell them to setup another job processor which leads me to my second point.... Oh wait thats this post.... 

tekenkamer
Enthusiast

Totally agree

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

scottmoyse
Mentor
Younes, do you have an estimated timeframe for delivery of this improvement please?
YounesYammouri
Community Manager

Hi Scott,

this is on our short term roadmap and one of the highest priority. We will start working on it soon.

Younes

scottmoyse
Mentor
Cool
scottmoyse
Mentor
Cool

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report