Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep along 2 paths curves option

Sweep along 2 paths curves option

I really miss a 2 path sweep option. Would be very helpful to get this function.

Thanks

17 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Working in the Model or in the Patch, I feel the lack of a tool like the sweep or two rail curves the most comprehensive network ... obviously with all the solutions of tangency and more.

Thanks

Fabio

cekuhnen
Mentor

Sweep 2 Rail is a powerful command because I can inlcude side profiles/rails to generate complex shapes quite easily

Pay attention to the yellow rails they show you how they inlfuence how between the two circular profiles the surface

is blended.

Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 10.45.43 AM.png

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装予定

Oceanconcepts
Advisor

Well, my comment is to agree. Sometimes you want a swept profile to change orientation- to keep consistently oriented to those organic shapes Fusion lets us make, for instance. Having two rails is a good way to accomplish this. 

-Ron

adam.molnar.1
Enthusiast

...and two rails not just sweep, but for a pattern tool. Please!

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
We understand the need. Not currently scheduled for a release but I know we will get to it in time.
cekuhnen
Mentor

Glad you will consider it, those surfacing tools will be important to position Fusion as a pro tool.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

Posting some more examples will help ensure we get this right. We are starting to review this for a future update. Thanks!

Also share what you like and don't like in other tool's implementation of 2 rail sweeps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm finding myself frequently needing a way to make a profile/shape/sketch to follow not only a path but a "rail",  or 2 path lines/edges.  This would give more control over not only the path of the duplication but also influence the objects scale/rotation based on the relationship between the rails/paths (in a similar way like when you change the size/rotation of the segments in a pipe... the entire pipe shape is influenced)

One way I think this could be implemented is by using constraints.  I have found a few work-arounds by constraining a sketch between two lines.  Then copying or path following one of the lines and setting up constraints for both lines.  Then when I move one of the lines, the duplicated sketches/bodies with change scale/ rotate based on the constraints set.    

I see other programs with this function.  I think even Inventor has a similar tool.  I think this would be a great addition to Fusion and open an opportunity for creative designs!

Thank you for your time

Tags (4)
cekuhnen
Mentor

So Fusion can loft between min 2 cross sections and use side profiles as rails.

but when you only have one profile you cannot use loft.

And Sweep only has one rail which is often not sufficient. Sweep should have 2 rails at least.

Screen Shot 2015-01-12 at 11.53.09 AM.png

gabriele
Advocate

if Fusion360 only had all Rhinoceros and Alias Studio curves editing it would rock.

In Rhinoceros I build my geometries starting from lines and curves.

In Fusion we don't have so much freedom. We can't  insert curves with precise input coordinates in xyz space.

cekuhnen
Mentor

What you have to understand with fusion - and that is true with solid works inventor pro-e - you sketch in 2d planes and thus you need to structure your work differently. This is more labor intensive but afterwards you can change many aspects better than in Rhino. In Rhino you would have to restart.

However I agree that it would be nice to have more freeform drawing abilities like in Rhino - specifically for making fast concept models that approach is solid!

brianreilly19
Participant

I too would like to see this, seems like a fundamental feature. I hope we see it soon.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, but is this something different than your last year's idea, "Fusion needs a Sweep 2 Rail command" ?

This is a must for me, I was considering fusion 360 for my modeling needs but was amazed to find out that this is missing. I have to look elsewhere because of this.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report