Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to .obj

Export to .obj

I have had experience using programs like inventor in the past and now that Fusion 360 is out I would love to 3D model using that, however the end product is to create video models via Maya.  It is much easier for me to create models in Fusion 360 but I have not found an easy way to export from Fusion 360 to Maya.  It would be great to have an Obj export option to transfer files files from one program to another.. If I am missing something and there is any way to do this please let me know. I have some great ideas that I want to experiment with!

Peter

25 Comments
deyop
Alumni

Are there specific reasons the OBJ format will work better for you?  You may have seen there is export for IGES and STP but I assume there is something you like about OBJ that you would like us to support.  We have had some similar requests.

pjhrydil42
Explorer

It wouldn't have to be specificly OBJ, but I know that OBJ works with Maya.  I have tried to import IGES and STP's into maya but I have not had success.  The import options for Maya are only IGS_DC and STP_DC.  I'm not sure what the DC means but for whatever reason it says there is an error when I try to import those files.  The OBJ import option does not have DC after the file type.  

deyop
Alumni

I believe the DC stands for Direct Connect which is a translation utility that should be installed when you install Maya.  You might want to check to make sure it is there.  If you can provide the error message we can try to find an answer for you.  It could be a while until we provide the OBJ options so I would like to find you a solution for the short term.

TRACERfire
Advocate

A place where I would use an export to OBJ feature is for use in Maya or ZBrush.

I'd initially perform the hard modelling in Fusion, export, then use the clay-like sculpting features of other software to further refine or add realistic detail.

As a workaround I can import a STEP file into Maya and process the surfaces to polyface meshes. Alternatively, Rhino should be able to import a STEP file and export as an OBJ without blinking.

But I think Peter, in his original post, would like to see a direct translation ability and I do see merit in this as it saves a bit of file translation juggling by the user.

deyop
Alumni

So the important point is to make sure there is a polygon output for the OBJ.  There are options in most exports that allow both.  It will also be important to define how the polygon export is defined. 

• For T-Splines should we default to quad polygons? 
  • For any other object should we provide a method for defining how many polygons will be created?  Similar to "Save as STL" option in the component menu?
TRACERfire
Advocate

I'd definitely default to a Quad Mesh for T-Spline to OBJ output.

From my experience it seems to be far easier to triangulate a quad-mesh than to go the other way around.

Controlling polygon density on export is also an excellent idea. ++1

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

petrikas.m
Contributor

I most definitely second that. *.obj is a must have. It's sort of an international language, that every software speaks. STL does the job for me, but for example, not all rendering systems support STL formats. *.obj is probably supported by 90% of the 3D applications. 

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み

colin.smith
Alumni

Hello all, 

I'm curious if FBX export would fill this need, or does it have to be OBJ?

Colin

meiQuer
Enthusiast

It would be great having .obj export option in Fusion.

For product visualization I use Blender with Octane Render. 

FBX format would work for Blender, but .obj will work for both Blender and Octane Stand Alone.

Octane Stand Alone support would be a great feature for Fusion as well. Octane is a GPU unbiased render with great quality and speed, with plugins available for several animation programs and much cheaper than Keyshot.

http://render.otoy.com/gallery2.php

meiQuer
Enthusiast

Obj exporting would be a great feature in order to include Fusion in any visualization workflow.

The possibility of being able to export a full assembly with each part with material ID would be perfect. That way you could import it into any rendering or animation package and assign materials without problems.

For example, I use Octane Render Stand Alone, that only imports obj. For an assembly, I need to export each part in .stl into Blender and then export to .obj for Octane. Doing this for a big assembly is a very big pain.

sanguish
Advocate

Is Collada an option in place of .obj?

deyop
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

There is a backlog item for this FUS-15563.

Meloettaa
Community Visitor

This is pretty crucial to me, too. I'm using a variety of different softwares, such as ZBrush, Sculptris, Maya, and MakerWare 3d Printer and all of these basically necessitate .obj's. Would love to see this as an addition in any future edition. Any and all plugins that I've downloaded that promise me they can help have also worked, but they never register any of my screw threads. That may be an issue if/when you guys decide to make .obj exporting a possibility.

eric.strebel
Collaborator

OBJ, would be fantastic. The redering in fusion is not up to par compared to Belender or Maya for example. Both of those apps support .obj. It would be a convenient file format to export to other applications. This would be hugely benifical to have! I can not stress the word HUGE enough here.

rod_ross
Contributor

Fbx or Obj would be great for me and quad export would be awesome. Is it possible to have quad export not just for the t-splines but all of the objects? If not please have an option to export to fbx or obj. I can now bring them into Rhino but it is just another step that makes it more time consuming to use Fusion 360.

trilby2
Participant

It seems a kind of workaround was shown in response to the original post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxjmh8CsI6o not really a solution for complex multi part models but certainly better than nothing 🙂

trilby2
Participant

Another option would be Save as STL then bring in to something like Meshlab http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ and from there export out to .Obj . Meshlab is a fantastic tool and using this method your whole model is saved in a couple of clicks.

darkeri_x
Participant

I tried this it. Really works. Creating from *.stl to *.obj file successfully complete. At 3ds max 2012 64x is not imported, a message pops up - error (( Smiley Sad
   It's just me ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report