Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
New Idea
82 Kudos
dan.szymanski

Frame Generator - Member Reuse

by Employee on ‎11-05-2012 01:13 PM

When I create a frame assembly using Frame Generator, I would like to be able to reuse frame members that are identical to other previously placed frame members and likewise update my BOM to reflect the correct QTY.

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Enhancements have been made within the Assembly environment > Frame Generator tool to include the ability to Reuse and Change Reuse members (for re-orientation or repositioning of reused members). Likewise within the Drawing environment, reused members are grouped together within your parts lists to reflect accurate ITEM QTYs. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
82 Kudos
crmayo

Model tree dynamically finds component browser

by Contributor crmayo on ‎11-15-2013 08:15 AM

In assemblies, I would like the model tree to automatically center the component you have selected.  I use find in browser, this would just be faster.

Automatic find in browser.jpg

This idea is a duplicate of http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Auto-Scroll-in-browser-to-selected-part/idi-p/372... which in turn has been Accepted as idea [US4559]. Thanks!
81 Kudos

When creating notes and instructions on a drawing you often want to refer to the item numbers on the parts list but you can not access the item number properties so you have to just type in a number the problem with this is if the numbers change for some reason on the parts list the notes are now incorrect. So I propose that you can access this within format text so they are linked.8.JPG

80 Kudos
Mark_Wigan

Select Other - drop down needs moving out of the way please

by *Expert Elite* ‎02-27-2013 07:51 PM - edited ‎02-27-2013 07:59 PM

most of the time the little "Select Other" visual feedback is being blocked by the nice (but often very annoying) little selection box.

lots of people complain and yet we still have it doing the same thing, getting in the way.

can you fix this please? ie move it away a bit, or if user moves it away from geometry attempting to be chosen, then make it stick to where the user manually positions it...

Accepted idea [US15155]. Thanks!
80 Kudos
jamjumpin

Colour specific parts in drawing

by Valued Contributor jamjumpin on ‎06-11-2014 06:02 AM

In the drawing view I can either have the entire view in colour or the entire view in black and white. 

It would be good to be able to single out specific parts in a drawing.

So if I had an assembly I could select which parts I want to be in colour and the rest would be B&W. 

It would allow us to make drawings clearer in busy assemblies. 

drawing colour.JPG

80 Kudos
inventor3d

Sheet metal Multibody!!!

by inventor3d on ‎12-27-2012 02:52 PM

Now, I think it is indispensable the Mudibody model in the sheet metal environment.

And you, what do you think about this?

79 Kudos
filso

Structural detailing in frame generator

by filso on ‎11-24-2013 10:39 PM

It would be truly helpful to have the possibility to insert standard bolted connections to models within frame generator. I know that there is software like Tekla structures and Autodesk structual detailing, but you don't have to design whole buildings before it is necessary to use bolted connections. Most smaller scale structures needs to be shipped in containers and assembled on site. 

structual detailing sample.png

78 Kudos

If you select Part Priority you can select ipt's of iam's and make them visible or you can show the hidden lines.

I would like to change also the stye of the part to shaded, while the rest of the iam is not shaded.

Part_Style.jpg

76 Kudos
Doug_DuPont

Solid Body Sheet Metal Parts

by Mentor on ‎11-15-2012 05:07 AM

I want to be able to do Solid Bodies in Sheet Metal ipt's.

Accepted idea [US5315]. Thanks!

75 Kudos

In 2014 the Bill of Material Command was moved to the Manage Tab.  This command is used too heavily to be moved to a non primary Ribbon Tab.  Now if you added the ability to start the command from the RMB when no components are active I would have accepted that, but its not there either.  Now a user has to add it to their QAT or Customize the Marking Menu to get this very commonly used tool back.  This was a regression in 2014 for usability.

Accepted idea. Thanks!
75 Kudos

Here's one that I've had requests for several times.

You have an assembly view on a drawing and place a parts list for that view.  Now, you want to place several base views of individual parts for detailing.  Along with each part view, you want the corresponding item number from the parts list.

I know you can edit the view label to include model properties, such as the part name, material, etc, but there's no way to link the item number from the parts list to that part.  It would be nice to link that part to the corresponding item number in the parts list and if the parts list is renumbered, the item numbers associated with each part view would update accordingly.

I've tried placing a balloon and selecting the individual part, but it will only use "1" as the item number, since it is just a component and not an assembly.  Perhaps, when adding a balloon to a part like this, you could select the parts list that you want to reference.  Many times, you may have several sheets of details and still want the item numbers to reference the parts list on sheet 1, where the main assembly view and parts list is located.

Accepted idea [US14620]. Thanks!

74 Kudos
eseich21

Favorites holes

by eseich21 on ‎04-23-2013 10:49 PM

nomally Kinds of holes size and types are defined.

so if i have my pre-definded list or my favorie hole list, it will be faster to make holes.

Accepted idea [US18459]. Thanks!
74 Kudos
fsanchou

Use the same color for icons in dialogs box

by Active Contributor fsanchou on ‎09-12-2013 01:17 AM

Icon_color.png

73 Kudos
SteveEn

Slice Graphics - Update

by SteveEn on ‎05-26-2014 11:19 PM

The slice graphic uses a default slice texture. It's looks like concrete. Sometimes it's also easy to use the software Snagit for a quick screen cut to show specific details. The existing standard texture is blurry. It should be easy to choice different hatches to improve quick presentation pictures. I have seen somewhere how to change the section texture but it should be done in an easy way by drop menus.

I have added this idea for a couple of months ago but it was not possible to update the text inside the idea.

IV-Idea1.jpg

IV-Idea2.jpg

IV-Idea3.jpg

72 Kudos
Oesh01

Application Option Toggle for Command Dialog Box Appearance

by Oesh01 ‎02-27-2014 12:29 PM - edited ‎02-27-2014 12:37 PM

Allow the end user to decide what method to use for data entry when executing a command... for example, the "Extrude" command does not need both the traditional dialog box and the Mini-Toolbar.  Let the end user decide by placing an option in the "Application Options" within the program. 

Again, both of these are not needed and honestly make the program seem cumbersome.  Please finish implementing the Mini-Toolbars so that this option is available for your end users. 

Command Dialog Box.png

72 Kudos
kpapjim

multiple sheet

by kpapjim on ‎11-01-2014 12:37 PM

Many times when a project consists of several sheets and need to refer from one to the other would be easier if there is an option for simultaneous viewing all sheets.multi sheet.jpg

71 Kudos
jamjumpin

Replace selected components

by Valued Contributor jamjumpin on ‎06-24-2014 11:07 AM

There's a replace component command and a replace all command. I want to be able to shift click a bunch of parts and replace only the ones that are highlighted. 

Basically, I think that if multiple parts are selected, choosing the replace component command should replace all the highlighted ones. 

As Kirk indicated, this idea has already been recorded (see link below). Please cast your kudo on the Master idea as to not split the votes. And yes, it is clear, many want this. :smileyhappy: Regards -Dan
71 Kudos
ljordan

Replace Sketch References

by ljordan on ‎02-04-2014 08:05 AM

When there is a lost reference (projected geometry), I would like the option to replace it.

Right now, you have to delete it, select new one, AND then reconstrain.

For the picture below (just to simulate my complaint), I modeled a box, and then created a cut extrusion through it (the circle).  After doing so, I decided to split the box in half, making upper half a solid body, and the lower half a separate solid body. The lost reference is in magenta.

I understand that the reference rightfully is lost, but I want to be able to repair it. Yes, this particular model would be an easy fix, but complex parts could be a pain, ESPECIALLY in top down modeling where there is lots of referencing going on.

Lost Reference.JPG

70 Kudos

When viewing a Part or Assembly in the Views Section model it would be quite valuable if the section 'view' was more than just a view but was a proper section that could be measured and interrogated for information, - currently the View Section is just a View and cannot be measured.

section.jpg

69 Kudos
ian

'S' shaped broken view for shafts

by ian on ‎03-01-2013 12:54 AM

When creating a broken view on a long shaft, the two options available are Rectangular or Structural which is fine for rectangular shaped parts, but would be nice to have an option to create the 'S' shaped broken view for round parts like long round shafts, see attachment

Accepted idea [US17008]. Thanks!
Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube