New Idea
95 Kudos

Currently when creating holes, we have the options for Drilled, Counterbore, Spotface and Countersunk from the top only.

It could be beneficial to have these same options to add features to the bottom of the same hole.

hole_feature.png

93 Kudos
anders.hagen

Delete All Sick Constraints Option

by anders.hagen on ‎11-04-2012 01:47 AM - last edited on ‎11-05-2012 01:01 PM by Employee dan.szymanski

Possibility to delete all destroyed constrains in one go

Go to Constrain Doctor. Mark all red crosses and delete all...

regard

anders hagen

Idea accepted as [US14236]. Thanks!
87 Kudos
crmayo

MM = mm / IN = in (Dimensions)

by Contributor crmayo on ‎09-09-2013 10:41 AM

Most of the time when I'm drawing, my cap lock are on.  When I type in units in uppercase Inventor doesn't recognize that MM is mm, or IN is in.  I want Inventor to apply the units - proper case or not.

MM IN.PNG

Accepted idea [US21122]. Thanks!
86 Kudos

It would be awesome if the centerlines were automatically breaked when they cross dimensions. that is possible to do on autocad.

original.jpg

85 Kudos
tsreagan

Materials Materials Materials

by Mentor on ‎05-13-2013 01:02 PM

The current material situation is a bit cumbersome.

as we have multiple material librarys,  and multiple appearance librarys. and too many combinations theirin.

You are close to the perfect solution for rendering and materials,  nearly anyway.

The materials physical properties alone should set the parameters for appearance.

Lets use aluminum as an example.

Ideal Scenereo - For most industries

1.    MATERIAL: User picks the physical material

ALUMINUM

2.    ALLOY: User then may check a box for particular alloy if need be, 

(the default alloy is set to a common standard that is then set as default in the template)

(the alloy modifies physical properties for the material,  apperance only changes if an alloy has visual affect)

ALUMINUM - 6061

3.    FINISH: User can then choose the finish or machining operation used on the material. (as material check box)

ALUMINUM - 6061 - R(x)          sets shine/reflect

or ALUMINUM - 6061 - Knurled       adds knurl bump map etc...

4.    COATING:  User can then choose a coating option.  Paint, galvanized, anodized, etc.

ALUMINUM - 6061- R(x) - Paint(RGB) Egshell

This presents the opportunity to add the finish and coating field to the BOM, if needed for finish and paint tracking.

This simplifies the library so I only have (1) aluminum.

If i edit that base material and make variants(with check boxes only),  it auto names them based on the options that have been checked, and you still have the ability to list it in the BOM as just the Base material name if you wish  ie.. Aluminum  as opposed to Aluminum - 6061 - R(x)... etc.  Otherwise the BOM can get too big.

The material library browser could be modified to easily show the check box options for a material in a table format.

The subname for the "user optioned" material in the library would be a combo of the above 4 catagories.

and the name that shows up in the BOM field under material could be listed in this long format, or just show up as Aluminum if a simpler BOM is required. and of course finish and coating could be turned on if needed there too.

With a system closer to this,  you never have to worry about naming, etc.  it is what it is.

Aluminum is Aluminum plain and simple.  it's real world finishes and surface processes modify the appearance further as an overlay to the original material.

Updating a material, would consist of adding more finish and surface options over time, since Aluminum itself does not change its nature... ever.  why would the material need constant updating version to version.

Make it a modular material system,  add modules over time.   So my Aluminum in 2014 will be the same as my aluminum in 2018, perhaps with a few new modules though.

You guys are close to a system that is this simple, intuitive, and realistic,  It's just not there yet.

Eventually this should evolve into a master industry library that covers every program across the planet.

so that my aluminum is the same in my Photoshop, Inventor, Poser, Revit, solidworks, 3dstudio, etc...

The renderers change,  the material charectersitics do not.

overrides will still be possible if you just want to play with funky colors and unrealistic materials though.

Anyway just a though on getting this material system standardized and simplified a bit further.

T.S.

85 Kudos
pierre_berube

Section View cutting through parts

by pierre_berube on ‎11-25-2013 12:52 PM

When a section view is cutting through a part, the line where the view is cutting should not be straight, but brocken like in a detail view, to show the part is not fully represented.

SectionView

84 Kudos

It would be very nice if the pop-up menus, particularly the selection menu that appears on hover, did not obscure the very item we are attempting to select.  For instance, when attempting to select a vertex, I place the cursor over the geometry and wait for the selection menu to block it from my sight. Then I have to move it and select.  The fact that there is no way to distiguish which "vertex" is the vertex I want when several are listed is a subject of a different thread I think.DialogHell.gif

82 Kudos
MRanda

Solid Body Palooza!

by Distinguished Contributor MRanda on ‎01-17-2013 05:59 AM

I have seen a post similar to this where the writer wished the ability to access the visibility of a solid body via iLogic. I am asking for the ability to suppress via the solid body. As things are now, if I want to suppress a solid body, I have to suppress every feature within the body separately! When doing this via iLogic, it creates a mess! Currently I may be forced to suppress dozens of features –and I I add new ones, I need to remember to add those to the code as well. 

The multi-solid body layout part workflow is easily the most powerful design paradigm in Inventor, but the ball was definitely dropped on this one. It was thrown out there and immediately orphaned. We should also have the ability to:

• Add iProperties to the solids that will transfer to the part. Color, Material, Cost, and all of the rest.
  • Ability to organize solid bodies to groups –which become assembles when the “Make Component” command is evoked. Ability to suppress an entire group!
  • A visual indicator of which solid body a feature belongs to would be nice as well. It’s hard to organize a feature tree, but any focus on that would be a help. We finally got folders in assemblies after years of requests, it’s about time to look into cleaning up a parts tree as well. For instance, I put ALL sketches before features (projected geometry is all sketch to sketch –far more stable). I would like to be able to group and hide them. There can be thirty or forty of them and the tree gets incredibly long!
  • Attaching iLogic that would survive the “Make Components” process and become a rule on the other side would be killer as well.

I’m sure I’ll come up with more. Have a great day!

Mark Randa
Applied Design Intelligence

SolidBodies.JPG

Accepted ideas [US14617] [US14618]. Thanks!

81 Kudos

Give me the option to use Design Doctor.   If I don't know what created the error I have to click the cross and waste my time clicking thru buttons in this dialog box.  I just want to know where the error is - I can fix it.  Display some type of indication in the model tree by the part or assembly that has an error - you could us the red cross.

design dr sucks.JPG

80 Kudos
pierre.masson

Drawing symbol library stored centrally

by Product Support pierre.masson on ‎06-17-2013 05:02 AM

Currently the drawing symbols are stored in each individual drawings.

If you company uses thousands of symbols this is not ideal.

We would like it to be stored in a central library, which we can organize. You should be able to see a preview of the symbol when browsing the library directly from Inventor.

Accepted idea [US21875]. Thanks!

79 Kudos
mrattray

Smarter Diameter Dimensions

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-04-2013 10:46 AM

Shouldn't Inventor know that this is a cylinder and should therefore have a diameter symbol? Let's have it pop in there on its own without me having to do an edit text operation on it and manually add it.

Capture.JPG

76 Kudos
livewire77

Diameter dimension

by livewire77 on ‎04-07-2014 09:51 AM

Inventor should recognize this as diameter and automatically place diameter symbol before text. Solidworks can do it.

Diameter.jpg

76 Kudos
dan.szymanski

Frame Generator - Member Reuse

by Employee dan.szymanski on ‎11-05-2012 01:13 PM

When I create a frame assembly using Frame Generator, I would like to be able to reuse frame members that are identical to other previously placed frame members and likewise update my BOM to reflect the correct QTY.

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Enhancements have been made within the Assembly environment > Frame Generator tool to include the ability to Reuse and Change Reuse members (for re-orientation or repositioning of reused members). Likewise within the Drawing environment, reused members are grouped together within your parts lists to reflect accurate ITEM QTYs. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
76 Kudos
inventor3d

Sheet metal Multibody!!!

by inventor3d on ‎12-27-2012 02:52 PM

Now, I think it is indispensable the Mudibody model in the sheet metal environment.

And you, what do you think about this?

73 Kudos
Mark_Wigan

Select Other - drop down needs moving out of the way please

by *Expert Elite* ‎02-27-2013 07:51 PM - edited ‎02-27-2013 07:59 PM

most of the time the little "Select Other" visual feedback is being blocked by the nice (but often very annoying) little selection box.

lots of people complain and yet we still have it doing the same thing, getting in the way.

can you fix this please? ie move it away a bit, or if user moves it away from geometry attempting to be chosen, then make it stick to where the user manually positions it...

Accepted idea [US15155]. Thanks!
72 Kudos

When creating notes and instructions on a drawing you often want to refer to the item numbers on the parts list but you can not access the item number properties so you have to just type in a number the problem with this is if the numbers change for some reason on the parts list the notes are now incorrect. So I propose that you can access this within format text so they are linked.8.JPG

72 Kudos
crmayo

Model tree dynamically finds component browser

by Contributor crmayo on ‎11-15-2013 08:15 AM

In assemblies, I would like the model tree to automatically center the component you have selected.  I use find in browser, this would just be faster.

Automatic find in browser.jpg

This idea is a duplicate of http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Auto-Scroll-in-browser-to-selected-part/idi-p/372... which in turn has been Accepted as idea [US4559]. Thanks!
71 Kudos
Doug_DuPont

Solid Body Sheet Metal Parts

by Mentor on ‎11-15-2012 05:07 AM

I want to be able to do Solid Bodies in Sheet Metal ipt's.

Accepted idea [US5315]. Thanks!

71 Kudos
coreyparks

Borders on feature patterns

by Valued Mentor on ‎03-28-2013 11:45 AM

We often make custom laser cut guard panels.  To do so we have to create the hole pattern we use laid out on the panel as we want to see it so we can get a cut path for the laser.  Very rarely do we create a panel that is just square with no other cutouts.  Many time these have cuts holes and odd shapes to the panels.  So when we create a hole pattern for the mesh guard we want we need to suppress many many holes to set it up while keeping a  border around the pattern.  It woul be nice if there was some way that we could say create this patten on this face keeping at least 1" of space between the edges of the part and the hole pattern.  See the attached pic for a simple guard I am currently drawing.  Anyone else think this might be useful?

pattern.PNG

70 Kudos
eseich21

Favorites holes

by eseich21 on ‎04-23-2013 10:49 PM

nomally Kinds of holes size and types are defined.

so if i have my pre-definded list or my favorie hole list, it will be faster to make holes.

Accepted idea [US18459]. Thanks!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube