New Idea
17 Kudos
Cadmanto

Eliminate the Need for an IPN File

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-18-2013 01:05 PM

If the only purpose for an IPN file is to create an exploded view, why not incorporate the tools needed to make an exploded view right into the assembly files.  This way there is no extra files created.  Then in the drawing you could have an option in the edit view dialog to show the view exploded based on the exploded configuration in the assembly.

17 Kudos
fbk

Inventor - Drawing - section - Wrong Hatch

by fbk on ‎12-04-2013 02:35 AM

When there is a section view with a split, there should be two DIFFERENT hatches. Now Inventor displays ONE hatch.

Thanks in advance, Fred Bellekom

Wrong_Hatch.JPG

17 Kudos

I have NEVER understood why I cant add a color/texture to a machined surface in the machining environment.  Sure there are workarounds (derive the part out) but I just wnat to be able to click on a face that is machined and change to color or maybe even make it look like its been machined.

Accepted idea [US16144]. Thanks!
17 Kudos
fbk

A break-line for the drawing crop functions

by fbk on ‎09-03-2013 08:15 AM

In a drawing, make a view and CROP the view. You'll get an continious line at the end.

I want that line to be a BREAK-line, just line the command "Break".

Thanks in advance, Fred Bellekom

17 Kudos

In a part, if you suppress a feature, the sketch is not automatically suppressed.  This allows suppressed geometry (sketches in most cases) to generate errors.   When I suppress something, it's usually because I don't want it active anymore.  

I would like the sketch or any other subcomponent of the feature to be suppressed when the feature is suppressed.

feature - sketch suppression.JPG

17 Kudos
cmharb

Inventor iLogic predictive suggestions

by Active Contributor cmharb on ‎02-07-2014 02:13 AM

When writing iLogic code the editor suggests the possible next part of the command when a dot is typed, like Visual Studio does.

17 Kudos
ic198

Add direction to Extrude Command

by Active Contributor ic198 ‎01-22-2014 02:17 PM - edited ‎01-22-2014 02:35 PM

At the moment Extrude works perpendicular to the plane of the sketch. I would like a direction option (similar to that used when creating patterns) so that the Extrude can be along any straight line or axis that is not parallel to the sketch plane.

Sweep can be used to achieve a similar effect- but you cannot use an axis as a sweep path, and the sweep ends up the same length as the sweep path. With a direction option in Extrude, you would still be able to specify 'Distance' or 'To' limits.

131213 R1.jpg

17 Kudos
FProcp

Piping Isometric Drawings

by Distinguished Contributor FProcp on ‎09-06-2013 04:58 PM

I need a way to add isometric dimensions from the elbow below? :smileymad:

This is how standard piping isometric drawings are done, no need for a front view, top view, etc.

Just all dimensions on one isometric view.

I am creating piping drawings for Power Station and want to dimension from the intersection of the centrelines of all the elbows on the pipe run (just like dimension 300 and 1282 in the picture below).

I've been able to add dim 300 & 1282 by using "Include Route Centerlines" BUT if there's piping created without a piping route this cannot be done.

I don't understand why I cannot get dimension A & B from the standard work features on the elbow or dimension between two elbows just using these work features?

I need to do piping Isometric drawings urgently, Please...

Elbow_dim.JPG

17 Kudos
timdown73

Sketch dimming

by Valued Contributor timdown73 on ‎04-26-2013 05:55 AM

When you have sketches on opposing planes and don't want to turn off the sketch you're not editing because you'd like to see the inactive sketch for reference or use the dimensions it would be nice if the inactive sketch dimmed so that you could differentiate between the two.  I know you can use different color sketch lines but the colored lines don't dynamically update so they can be frustrating when you're trying to highlight a line.  See image below for reference.Capturez.JPG

17 Kudos
yannick3

CAM module

by Valued Mentor on ‎11-07-2012 05:18 AM

Ability to program CNC machine directly with Inventor

This idea has been implemented. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. We have a free Inventor HSM Express product that supports 2 ½ axis milling. See http://cam.autodesk.com/hsm Please be sure to check this out. Thanks!
17 Kudos
Cadmanto

Ability to Seperate the Parts List

by *Expert Elite* ‎08-28-2013 06:34 AM - edited ‎08-28-2013 06:36 AM

In addition to being able to split the parts list, it would be nice to have the functionality to seperate the parts list into two or more sections.  This would allow users to be able to place one portion on one sheet and another portion on another sheet.  I know (because I have done it) that other softwares can do this.  Please lets bring this into the Inventor realm.

Please see this thread link.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/BIG-BOM/m-p/4383717#M480917

Accepted idea [US16055]. Thanks!
17 Kudos
blandb

Assembly Contraints

by blandb on ‎07-10-2014 11:09 AM

I assume this has already been posted several times, but it gets annoying. 

Have the option to "FLIP" the constrained value to the other direction. Seems like no matter the order the parts are selected, One will have to

put a negative value in the constraint to make it go in the direction you desire. To avoid this, just type in the value, and then pick a button like in the pattern for the side to offset to.

This way nobody has to worry about the selection order or having negative values in the constraints. It will just flip-flop between directions.

17 Kudos

I think it would be nice to be able to expand the RMB menu icons.  The inner circle of icons (your favorites) could be swipe activated and all others could just be picked and ignored when swiping. (See image below for example.)   I know you can hold "ctrl" for more icons and that's fine, I just think it would be a good option to expand the first menu. 

Added bonus...This would keep me from having to remove my chin from my hand to hit "ctrl".:smileywink:

Capture.JPG

17 Kudos
Curtis_Waguespack

String Replace for iLogic Design Copy

by *Expert Elite* ‎04-02-2013 02:23 PM - edited ‎04-02-2013 02:27 PM

The iLogic Design Copy tool is currently the best tool Inventor users who do not use Vault have for copying designs:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/3364-Show_Me_3364/3365-Show_Me_3365/3747-iLogic3...

However, the inability to perform a string replace makes the iLogic Design Copy tool unusable for many design departments. Many people don't want to add prefixes or suffixes to the file names, but instead want to modify or replace the existing name.

Example1:

I want to copy the files named 45-001 Rev 1.iam and 45-001 Rev 1.idw and name them 45-001 Rev 2.iam and 45-001 Rev 2.idw. The iLogic Design Copy does not do this well. I would need to have files named 45-001.iam and 45-001.idw and add the revision information as a suffix. But that is a departure from the company naming convention.

Example2:

I want to copy all of the files for my project 45-001 and rename them to start the 46-001 project. The iLogic Design Copy does not do this well. I would need to have files named -001 and add the 46 as a prefix, which doesn't even make sense.

Additionally, this tools should probably be renamed to remove the word iLogic. Since many new users don't realize that iLogic is not required to use this tool, it is not discovered.

Concerning Autodesk Vault: Reusing existing designs is one of the best practices that Autodesk continues to preach, and yet they have yet to provide a solid, flexible tool for non-Vault users to do this. There are many design departments that will never be able to use Vault due to the mix of other files the engineering department uses that can not be stored in Vault, therefore providing the design copy tools in Vault only should be reconsidered.

Overall the iLogic Design Copy tool is a very effective tool, but it needs to be more flexible to make it usable by many people who would like to be using it right now.

17 Kudos
BryanKelley

Frame Generator - Curved Member Behavior

by Employee on ‎10-31-2012 01:42 PM - last edited on ‎11-05-2012 01:05 PM by Employee

I want Frame Generator to be able to work with curved frame objects correctly

Accepted idea [US7700]. Thanks!
17 Kudos

I miss the possibility to remove previews from the new home-screen in Inventor 2015 manually via context-menu.

I often have to create temporary files for evaluating new designs.

After deleting such files on the start-screen broken-link icons are displayed.

Inventor2015 - Vorschlag.jpg

17 Kudos
ileblanc

Weld symbols staying consistent.

by ileblanc on ‎03-27-2014 04:42 AM

Hello

I think it would be nice to see the weld symbols stay consistant when selecting different types.

This is the first session of the day. (note the order of symbols)

WELD SYMBOL 1.jpg

Once I restart my comuter the symbols get jumbled from the previous session.

WELD SYMBOL 2.jpg

This is a "would be nice" fix.

Regards,

Ivon

16 Kudos
Curtis_Waguespack

Incorporate Non Uniform Scaling

by *Expert Elite* ‎04-16-2013 08:36 AM - edited ‎04-16-2013 08:59 AM

Issue:

I have a model that I want to scale in X and Y direcions, but I don't want to scale it in Z direction.

Suggestion:

It would be nice to have the SDK scaling tool incorporated into the out of the box Derive tool in Inventor.

Related thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Scale-a-part-with-different-scale-factors-in-3-direc...

16 Kudos
Vlad.Makarov

Cut-sweep using a tool body and path

by Distinguished Contributor Vlad.Makarov on ‎02-15-2013 11:32 AM

Cut-sweep using a tool body and path

Used for end mill simulation. The ability to control twist & path alignment should be included.

Accepted idea [US14654]. Thanks!
16 Kudos
jtylerbc

Fractional Weld Sizes

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-18-2013 06:47 AM

Inventor has the ability to link weld symbols to fillet welds modeled in the weldment assembly.  This could be a huge help to my company, dramatically reducing the number of mistakes in our weld callouts, or weld callouts missed entirely.  Unfortunately, in its current state, we can't use the feature.

This is because the system is based around displaying as decimals, while most fabricators prefer to see fractional weld sizes.  As a result, we are forced to manually enter our weld symbols on the drawing just like we would have done in AutoCAD.

Having one item (weld symbols) be so manual while so much other annotation is automatic tends to lead to errors.  Users just simply forget to go fix the weld symbols, because everything else is so automatic, and it doesn't feel like the weld symbol tool should be any different.  In my search for a solution to this problem, I saw requests going back to at least 2005 for this feature - I think it's time to close this gap.

I think the easiest way to handle this would be a unit format option in the Weld Symbol style.  That way, if needed, users could set up fractional and decimal styles just as they would with dimensions.  To avoid messing up the workflow of anyone using the symbols as they currently are, the default setting could still be Decimal. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube