Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
New Idea
63 Kudos

Please add a separate visibility switch as shown below.  Sometimes I need it on and sometime I need it off; if I need it off I have to go into the text menu and clear out the second property (A click fest that gets old by the second time).    Thanks!

Capture.JPG

130 Kudos

Unfortunately, Autodesk has not provided the ability to turn off the mini toolbars, so we're stuck with the current strange Jekyll and Hyde interface, which is cluttered, distracting and in many cases incomplete.

Most user would benifit from being able to use either the dialog interface or the mini-toolbars, but having both is a problem.

Currently the best we can do is roll up the dialog box:

Accepted idea [US9876]. Thanks!
20 Kudos
bendesign04

Placing Recent Items

by bendesign04 on ‎04-30-2014 10:28 PM

When placing parts and sub assemblies into assemblies  a lot of the time you are either placing an item you have just created that's open or have recently created or there are item that you have been placing in quite regularly. There is no way to access these recent items to place in even though the welcome screen has a recent items. Instead you have to keep going through the folders to find theses not very productive. I think this could work in several ways and would be good to have all these options.

1. An extension of an earlier idea of mine is to have a list of recent items on a browser tab in which you could drag them into the graphics window.

49.JPG

2. For items that are open you could drag them from the tab into the graphics window

50.JPG

3. when pressing place you could tick a recent items box which would then display all the recent items with no folders.

51.JPG

19 Kudos

While working deep within an assembly, sometimes it is difficult to identify target parts to assign constraints.  If multiple parts are overlapping, the target geometry options you have to select from are listed and the part geometry are highlighted.

It would be helpful to not only list the geometry options, but have the part names included so you know which part is being selected.  It would save time not having to temporarily hide multiple parts to isolate the target part.

Name of part not shown when constraining 2.png

21 Kudos
LeanderTorres

offset on rectangle

by LeanderTorres on ‎04-23-2014 06:22 AM

Hi there,

When drawing a rectangle with the midpoint command inventor palces the diagonals.

If you trie to offset the rectangle it won't recognice the figure as a loop, you need to delete the construction lines for creating an offset of the complete rectangle in one go. (= time consuming)

Isn't it possible to let inventor detect loops only within 1 linetype, or make an option out of it?

Kind Regards,

Leander Torres Falcato Simoes

Hego bvba

9 Kudos
jmatsche

Feature Description Renaming

by jmatsche on ‎07-25-2014 09:50 AM

Add a Name field similar to what is available in the Constraint Dialog Box to Feature Dialog Boxes to allow the user to change the name or description of a feature when creating it. This would eliminate the need for a slow, methodical double click in the browser to edit thte feature description and if the user still chose to double click in the browser to change the description but the timing was off the Dialog Box would open and the description could be changed there.

feature_name.png   Hole_Feature_Dialog.png

3 Kudos

There is currently a way to set up your styles to add a "Parent Sheet Index" to the view label (see first attachment).  The reverse should also be possible.  In other words, you should be able to set up your section lines, detail call-outs, and so forth to include a reference to the child sheet that contains the view.

46 Kudos
timdown73

Better dimension text interaction

by Valued Contributor timdown73 on ‎11-22-2013 10:39 AM

Maybe this is standard but I find it to be potentially confusing (see below).

Capture.JPG

41 Kudos

When i have a lot of parts with visibility turned off and i would like to turn the visibility on, it would be nice to show a sort of highlight so i'm sure that's the part i need, now i have to gamble until i select the right part!

naamloos.JPG

26 Kudos

Add the "Symmetric" option to the Component Pattern dialog box.  This would allow for the correct number of components to show in the BOM when the pattern is created.  Currently, I have to use both directions to accomplish this and in turn causes my component count in the BOM to be incorrect. 

Before:

pattern before.png

After:

Pattern Component copy.png

This idea is based on the following link. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Bi-Directional-Patterning/m-p/3687130#M453320 Status: Duplicate Hello, I am marking this as a duplicate of an Idea entitled "Midplane Rectangula​r pattern in an assembly " http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Midplane-Rectangular-pattern-in-an-assembly/idi-p... Which in turn has been Accepted as [US21780]. Thanks!
1 Kudo
joc

Sketches as geometry source

by joc on ‎10-28-2014 04:51 AM

Allow using sketch content in defining loading geometry, as well as for constraint definition.

As of now I ussually create aditional parts with the loading area shape and place them, then I apply the load on them.

I would be much simpler (saving computing power during the FEA) using sketches to define geometry both for the loading area and the loading direction.

Same apllies to constraints.

For the maximum level of detail, sometimes it could help defininf contacts ;-)

30 Kudos
miechh

Adopt names of solids in Stress Analysis

by Distinguished Contributor miechh on ‎02-19-2014 11:37 PM

When using a single part with multiple solids to use in the stress analysis environment, Inventor renames all solids to "Body###" in which the ### is a number. It's kind of confusing when you have named the solids in the part to an identifyable one and Inventor renames them back to "body###" in the Stress Analysis Environment, especially when there are lots of solids in your part.

The idea: Let Inventor adopt the names of the solids in the part to the Stress Analysis Environment. This way it's also easier to identify the bonds without having to highlight each bond from within the Contacts-list.

Original Names in Part Environment:

Browser pane with original names

Names of same solids in Stress Analysis Environment:

Browser with renamed solids

15 Kudos

It would be great the ability to select components with the same appearance material, to quickly switch from material assign solution to another one.

cc.jpg

12 Kudos
stephenrottloff7259

Simplified drawing views

by Active Contributor stephenrottloff7259 on ‎06-26-2014 05:38 AM

Inventor creates drawing views that match parts and assemblies very well.  Certain geometry like non-linear shapes cause Inventor to use many geometrical elements to show this geometry within the drawing views.  This causes the geometrical element count in the drawing views to increase dramatically.  This level of detail is not always needed.  Sometimes we export and use the drawing views for layout investigations, user manuals etc. within other programs like Autocad and Illustrator.  The drawing views with high geometrical element counts cause issues with performance and sometimes makes the views unusable unless they are simplified.

I propose a new workflow when exporting drawing views, to have Inventor automatically detect high geometrical element count areas.  Then offer a way to replace these areas with user selectable patterns.  This may be similar to hatching an area.   These areas can be detected within a user definable threshold.  For example, if an area under 1 square unit of a drawing view has over 1000 geometrical elements, it could be identified and shown with an alternate pattern.

The attached PDF contains views of a simple plastic cover with a part that has features that cause high geometrical element counts.  The last view is the view after a simplification done within Autocad.  Only the area of high geometrical element count has been changed.

Thank you,
Stephen R.

23 Kudos
thomas.vilsmeier

Rotating aligned dimensions

by thomas.vilsmeier on ‎04-04-2014 01:40 AM

If you want to rotate a view with all it's dimensions (e.g. by 90 degrees) some dimensions will break. That's really annoying! It would be better if the dimensions were aligned to the view and rotate with it.

01.PNG

Initial situation

02.PNG

Rotate view by 90°

03.PNG

Broken dimensions

2 Kudos
Diequa

Currently Open In Assembly

by Contributor Diequa on ‎10-10-2014 11:23 AM

Would be great to not have to browse for files while in Assembly I just saved to appear right in the window when I click place component.  Either have a drop down, or have a list of the files that are currently open in a temp folder with shortcuts to the file I saved.

116 Kudos

I have read some older posts in this forum and found some work arounds, but I still don't clearly understand why we can't have the option to insert a workplane between two parallel planes/faces at the assembly level. Why can we only do it at the part level?

Image - Left side part level - right side assembly level

planes.png

Thanks

Sean

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2015. Special thanks to the author of this Idea and likewise to everyone who cast your Kudo for it. Enhancements were made within the Assembly environment to create workplanes between two parallel faces, or non-parallel faces in Assemblies (between two components). Enhancements were made within the Part environment to create workplanes between non-parallel faces. Please be sure to check this out in Autodesk Inventor 2015. Thanks!
21 Kudos
matt

Print Bill of Materials

by matt on ‎04-15-2014 04:02 AM

Add an option to print the Bill of Materials in the BOM dialogue of the assembly environment.

print bom.png

3 Kudos

User would like to be able to control model rotation through the arrow keys. This would allow the user to set the degrees of rotation per click, helping them to get more precise orientations. Currently the user can only control panning of the model with the arrow keys.

18 Kudos
mrack42

Cohesive Handling of Tolerancing

by Active Contributor mrack42 on ‎05-06-2014 12:02 PM

When you specify a deviation tolerance on linear dimensions, you enter ".002" in the "Upper" tolerance box, and ".001" in the "Lower" tolerance box, and you get X +.002/-.001.  When you specify a deviation tolerance on a hole size (specified using the Hole/Thread Note tool), if you enter ".002" and ".001", you get X +.002/+.001 (both values '+').  You need to enter ".002" and "-.001".

Having different rules apply to such similar operations is inherently dangerous.  It's my mistake, yes... but it was very easy to make.  I understand there are applications for this, I'd just like to see the same method/thinking applied to both operations.

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube