New Idea
26 Kudos
pospisil

New Folder in the Browser Panel in Parts

by pospisil on ‎11-21-2013 06:23 AM

Hi,

hopefully I am not alone who would appreciate a chance to add a New Folder in the Browser Panel in Parts. This function exists in Assemblies and Drawings, but not in Parts. I believe this would increase lucidity and comfort in more complex parts.

4 Kudos
spackle42

Volume Units

by Valued Contributor spackle42 on ‎05-07-2014 02:50 PM

I did a search for this and it seems strange that there doesn't appear to be a post previously, but nevermind.

Under the 'Units' tab in the document settings, it would be great to be able to specify a separate unit for volume.  I get that most american designers will work in inches and therefore this converts neatly into cubic inches, but under the metric system this results in volumes being listed in cubic millimetres, rather than the more useful litres or millilitres.

26 Kudos
crmayo

Continue Projected views

by Contributor crmayo on ‎11-19-2013 05:20 AM

In a drawing, if you create a top view, project a front and then try to project a bottom Inventor doesn’t recognize it should be a bottom view - it gives you another front.  

I would like Inventor to recognize that in this case, I have placed a front view and a bottom view is required.

This would apply to any view creation that has 2 or more projections in the same direction.

continued projection.jpg

17 Kudos
CAG_DRAFT

Drawing View Appearance Options

by Valued Contributor CAG_DRAFT on ‎01-14-2014 08:23 PM

view_options.jpg

When placing views into drawings we are quite limited in our options, unlike when in the 'Part' & 'Assembly' environments where both have a wide range of appearance options for us to choose from.

Options such as 'Realistic', 'Shaded (with no edges)', Shadows (on/off) etc. could be very handy for getting a nicer image onto the page without the headache of inserting/maintaining static images.

See here for a related discussion.

Now, I don't believe that my shopped image above is the best way to implement these features, it is just a way of getting the idea across.

P.S. I understand that a drawing with a few realistic/ray-traced views could be a real pig to manage but that would be up to the user to deal with, as it is with large/unwieldly assemblies that stress our machines.

4 Kudos

in a part when you use an edge of the part as a reference, it creates a new line. Can that default to a construction line instead since that is what I am using it for? It is annoying to change every line to a reference line.

14 Kudos
At present the only way to show tangent lines on a drawing is globally by view. On occasions, certain Content Center parts, such as channel sections which don't have a definite edge (due to the taper and radii on the flanges), so don't give a true visual representation on the drawing. If you turn on tangent edges, then every tangent edge in the view (which is considerable if you are using Frame Generator) is displayed and the view becomes so confusing it;s useless, so I usually end up sketching these lines in manually for clarity. Wouldn't it be great if you could locate the offending part in the browser, and select tangent lines to be displayed, much in the same way as you can select hidden lines, visibility and section participation at present? Is this something we could see in a future release?
16 Kudos
Cadmanto

Ability to save in Model Sketch mode

by *Expert Elite* on ‎01-20-2014 01:42 PM

How often have we lost work and not be able to save a part while in sketch mode.  All the time!!!  When complicated sketches or any sketches for that matter are created, it would be nice to be able to save the model while in sketch mode instead of having to finish the sketch either prematurely or when it is fully completed in order to save the model file.  I think less work would be lost if this was an available option.

71 Kudos
coreyparks

Borders on feature patterns

by Valued Mentor on ‎03-28-2013 11:45 AM

We often make custom laser cut guard panels.  To do so we have to create the hole pattern we use laid out on the panel as we want to see it so we can get a cut path for the laser.  Very rarely do we create a panel that is just square with no other cutouts.  Many time these have cuts holes and odd shapes to the panels.  So when we create a hole pattern for the mesh guard we want we need to suppress many many holes to set it up while keeping a  border around the pattern.  It woul be nice if there was some way that we could say create this patten on this face keeping at least 1" of space between the edges of the part and the hole pattern.  See the attached pic for a simple guard I am currently drawing.  Anyone else think this might be useful?

pattern.PNG

14 Kudos

When creating or editing a plane dimension you can't right click and list parameters like you can on a sketch dimension I think this is inconsistent and should be added.

42.JPG

8 Kudos
Cadmanto

The Need for a Civil and Revit Ideas Station!!!

by *Expert Elite* ‎03-25-2014 04:12 PM - edited ‎03-25-2014 04:29 PM

Ok, I know this has nothing to do with Inventor, but hey, had to start some where!!!

There should be an Idea Station for Civil 3D and Revit.  I can't believe that these two softwares are perfect and don't need any ideas for improvement.

So hey, can we see these two pieces of software have a location in which to post some ideas in?

Thank you!!!

We have passed this on to individuals/teams internally for consideration. Thanks.
102 Kudos
Raider_007

Better surface modeling inside Inventor

by Distinguished Contributor Raider_007 on ‎11-16-2012 03:35 AM

Hi we have Inventor and Product Design Suite and various other CAD packages. In our team often we have to do some surface modelling and to be honest Inventor just isn’t great at this at all and then we always have to revert back to Solidworks. Construction surfaces are not always enough guys really!

We need surfacing power like in Alias, Solid Works, Catia please!!! And no we don’t want to learn yet another product (Alias) with a completely different way of working and toolbar layout and , and , and… Solidworks has mastered this “One product many functionalities” approach and it works really great. Once you know SW you get into the other stuff easily because the environment is familiar. With Inventor you have to learn the product every time you want to do surface modelling because lets face it, you might not need to do it or use that functionality for months at a time…

Anyway it would be really cool to see the technology, that certainly exists, filter down into Inventor.

Accepted idea. Thanks!
8 Kudos
dbrblg

Browser Pane Vault Enhancement

by Distinguished Contributor dbrblg on ‎03-25-2014 02:40 AM

It would be a great idea if the Model and Vault sections of the Browser Pane are combined so you don't have to keep switching between them so frequently.

53 Kudos
mrattray

Open multiple parts at once

by *Expert Elite* on ‎06-17-2013 11:11 AM

I would like to be able to select multiple parts (either from the graphics area or from the browser) and open all of them at once.

Capture.PNG

30 Kudos
statsn

Projected Origin in Sketch

by statsn on ‎10-17-2013 09:12 AM

When a new sketch is created, it will automatically project the origin as a point.  But, this point could be deleted and any contraints that use this orgin point will be broken.  It would be nice to see this origin point always be available.  You could have a way to hide it, like contraints, but it can't be deleted.

11 Kudos
jyager

Jog/break option for dimension lines

by Distinguished Contributor jyager on ‎02-24-2014 07:08 AM

In AutoCAD there's an option to add a break to any dimension line, very helpful for general layouts and shortened reference dimensions. It appears in Inventor the only way to get this break to appear is using the break view...but when that's not applicable to the situation...

If you have a large assembly and want to show it's location in a room for instance or you need to show clearance heights to structure above, one can easily add sketched elments to the view to represent a portion of wall, a beam, etc.

But if you want to show the reference dimension to that point all you're going to get is a solid non-broken dimesnion line. So if you can override a dimension, why is there not an option to add a jog/break?

9 Kudos
Mark_Wigan

stick mass on derive or import

by *Expert Elite* on ‎03-13-2014 06:24 AM

some discussions here i think warrant a case for added functionality:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/DERIVED-PART-MASS-NOT-CORRECT/m-p/4883558#M500800

maybe a new button to say whether we wish to keep mass on assemblies or parts when we derive them?

25 Kudos

Sometimes we don't need dimensions to the nearest millimeter. We should be able to round off to the nearest 5mm or nearest 10mm or whatever is required.

Dimension_round_off.JPG

34 Kudos

In my opinion, it takes too much construction geometry to constrain a 3d sketch.  If you could define the alignment of a line along an axis it would help speed things up.

9-16-2013 8-44-41 AM.png

73 Kudos
Mark_Wigan

Select Other - drop down needs moving out of the way please

by *Expert Elite* ‎02-27-2013 07:51 PM - edited ‎02-27-2013 07:59 PM

most of the time the little "Select Other" visual feedback is being blocked by the nice (but often very annoying) little selection box.

lots of people complain and yet we still have it doing the same thing, getting in the way.

can you fix this please? ie move it away a bit, or if user moves it away from geometry attempting to be chosen, then make it stick to where the user manually positions it...

Accepted idea [US15155]. Thanks!
13 Kudos
When you use C-shape channels in your assembly, they don't look like channels in the drawing because channels have a series of tangent edges to make the rounded flange. Turning on tangent lines often clutters the drawing too much. I propose that there is a toggle for "simplified structural steel representation" to make the nominal flange thickness be a single line instead of several tangent lines. See attached photo (I hope it works, because I've been having bad luck attaching on this new revision of the website...what happened to the "insert image" option?).

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube