Inventor IdeaStation
Share your ideas about how to improve Inventor with the Development Team.
New Idea
27 Kudos
melmo

Separate Vault Browser from Model Browser

by Contributor melmo on ‎05-13-2014 08:23 AM

When working with Vaulted files, you should be able to view the Vault Browser (sidebar) separately from the Model Browser. 

I would like to always have the Vault Browser open, even when working with the model trees.  As it is right now, you have to switch your browser between Vault and Model.

iLogic has it's own browser, Vault should too.

42 Kudos
JoeBarnes4076

Interference Analysis Improvements

by Active Contributor JoeBarnes4076 on ‎02-25-2014 09:36 AM

Add behavior of zoom selected and highlight of affected components and interference volume when selecting on a row in the interference analysis results.  I had a video but the Ideastation dosn't seem to allow video files as attachments.

GlobalInterferenceTool2.PNG

Accepted idea [US4567]. Thanks!
6 Kudos

User would like to be able to control the color and style of shading that is used on the faces of a section view. Currently, a textured look is given to the face and the user has no ability to modify this visualization. See the attached image.

6 Kudos
Genicee

FEA Simulation In progress

by Contributor Genicee on ‎09-29-2014 08:27 AM

It would be nice to see some data or some kind of imformation given to the use to ensure the simulation is still churning away. The progress bar does little to nothing in showing the user the simulation is still functioning. Something as simple as to which element is being calculated at the current moment. Granted it would cycle through them fairly quickly, but still letting the user know it is not stuck.

3 Kudos
pdhn8580

Geometry Text - Text Parameters

by pdhn8580 on ‎10-29-2014 01:00 PM

Drawing text and leader text allow the use of model parameters, would like this same functionality in the part "text" and "geometry text". These boxes are currently greyed out.

Geometry Text - Text Parameters.jpg

125 Kudos
DRoam

Improved measurement tools

by Distinguished Contributor DRoam on ‎04-09-2013 07:27 AM

I find the tools in Inventor's Inspect > Measure panel very cumbersome, limited, and non-user friendly. I often have to escape out of the command between every measurement to be sure it will operate properly. I cannot measure any distance involving a round surface, such as the tangential distance to a circumference. I cannot see a history of previous measurements. I have to use round-about methods to measure certain features; for example, I have to click a random face before I can pick the center of a circle as my first measuring point.

The ability to keep measurements displayed, almost like temporary 3D dimensions, for the purpose of active analysis of a component (as I was trying to do with my boss the other day) would be very useful; that way as I'm navigating around my part or assembly I can see in real-time the precise dimensions of features I care about rather than measuring and re-measuring as I'm trying to determine things about the model.

I'd love to hear of functionality that other users would like to see added for measuring and inspecting 3D models, and to see all of these implemented in future releases of Inventor as well as in service packs to current releases, so that all users can take advantage of this very foundational functionality.

(Please see related Discussion Groups post here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Better-measure-tool-in-Inventor/m-p/3841929)

Accepted idea [US19753]. Thanks! PS - nice mock-up Cameron. :smileywink:
21 Kudos
MShanholt

selection window for .ipn

by MShanholt on ‎06-13-2014 06:12 AM

it is incredibly time consuming not having a selection window when working with large assembly presentation files. i can only click the parts individually or on the browser. i should be able to highlight whatever parts i want with a selection window to perform a tweak as well

11 Kudos
pdhn8580

IPN Improvements

by pdhn8580 on ‎08-18-2014 09:28 AM

I typically use IPN files to make an exploded view of an assembly, while I can usually show what I want it is quite difficult and time consuming. After 6 years of use IPN files could really use some love, some improvements could be:

1. Ability to right click a part or assembly and select all occurances.

2. Drag and highlight all the parts or assemblies you want to move in the model window.

3. Would be helpful if selecting part / assembly priority actually worked when selecting objects, seems to select parts no matter what while in the tweak               component dialog and clicking items in the window (not browser).

4. Make it possible to duplicate a Translate, we could then remove some items from the Translate.

20 Kudos

Centered Pattern centerlines for bolt circles are very handy.  How about something similar for non-circular bolt patterns?  Centerline annotation that follows Pattern Feature data from the model would be quite uselfull.  To produce the drawing shown, each bolt pattern required the placement of four two-hole centerlines.  A single pick for the feature pattern would speed things up considerably.

This is a fairly simple part.  Imagine if it were a boiler tubesheet!

Centerlines.JPG

114 Kudos

Currently when creating holes, we have the options for Drilled, Counterbore, Spotface and Countersunk from the top only.

It could be beneficial to have these same options to add features to the bottom of the same hole.

hole_feature.png

4 Kudos

from this thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/occurrence-angle-of-parts/td-p/1540930

I frequently edit the occurrence offset values in iProperties to quickly and precisely set component position within an assebmly.

I want to also edit angle of occurrence from this tab.

Useful for components that would be later grounded. Also for quickly trying locations of a component without creating constraints that may need to be deleted later.

169 Kudos
jberns

Update Inventor Drawing Text Editor

by Valued Contributor jberns on ‎11-02-2012 02:45 PM

The text editor of the Inventor drawing enviornment could use some updating.

I would like to see similar functionality as the AutoCAD editor.

• in-place editing (no dialog box)
  • contextual ribbon (but realize you still want to support those that use the previous toolbar interface)
  • numbered/bulleted lists
  • columns

An integrated spell checker would be useful was well. This would avoid having to install from the SDK.

Regards,

Jerry 

Accepted idea [US14238 & US5186].  Thanks!

64 Kudos
matteo.pallaroni

Ballooning inside IPN

by matteo.pallaroni on ‎11-07-2013 08:57 AM

With few effort you could really make the IPN better than Publisher; why not starting with the capability to apply 3d annotations like Balloons?

ipn balloons.jpg

38 Kudos

If you have two perpendicular sketches and are viewing or working on one sketch straight on; the dimensions of the perpendicular sketch should automatically disappear.  See the image below, it's not as if you can read the dimensions.  It just shows a jumbled mess, especially on complicated sketches. As soon as you rotate your view all the dimensions should automatically reappear.  This should be an option you could turn on or off depending on your preference.  BTW, I know you can turn off the dimensions of a sketch but that's a tedious process and doesn't happen on the fly as I'm suggesting.  Thanks.

Capture.JPG

7 Kudos
alessandro.gasso

Flexible Hose violations - Provide visual feedback

by Product Support on ‎09-16-2014 09:30 AM - last edited on ‎11-12-2014 07:13 AM by Employee

When the route is violating the minimum bend radius and you check it, you get the message, but it would be useful if Inventor could highlights the points where the violations happen, because, when the route is quite complex, it is not easy to detect them.

Accepted idea [US26330]. Thanks!

21 Kudos
guillaume.garcia

Hole/thread note text alignement

by guillaume.garcia on ‎06-06-2014 01:42 AM

Hi,

Sometimes when you're putting your annotation, you need to put the text vertically to save some space or to not put the text dimensions on the model.

Actually, when you're using hole/thread notes, you can do horizontal text align, but not the vertical (when the text isn't aligned with the leader of the note).

It would be nice to add this little ability, it's not an huge problem but can help us do better drawings :smileywink:

holenote.JPG

Regards,

Guillaume GARCIA

14 Kudos
wimann

Replace Selected From Content Center

by Valued Mentor on ‎07-22-2014 10:45 AM

I've had this a few times where I've had a few sets of bolts that share the same bolt size. Where this becomes a problem is when I've got to swap out and/or resize, for example, half of the bolts. I can't do a "Replace All" and the alternative is changing each one individually or deleting out the old size and placing new ones at the correct size.

I think it would be beneficial if you could do a "Select Multiple" like you can with Frame Generator and change the size of only the parts selected. I believe someone posted something similar to this about normal parts but I think I would also like to see it implemented in the Change Size and/or Replace From Content Center windows.

Thanks guys.

32 Kudos
crmayo

Attach iproperty to balloon leader - styles

by Contributor crmayo on ‎04-02-2014 11:42 AM

I would like to have an option in the balloon style dialog box that allows you to add an iproperty or model property to the balloon leader line. 

Three of my common uses:

-Quantity

-spare parts

-short descriptions

Using this, builders don’t have to refer back to the parts list (bom) at much.  If we had the ability to use an iproperty or a default field via , this information would populate automatically.

BALLOON-STYLE-IPROP.jpg

perhaps something like this:

balloon-style-dialog.jpg

21 Kudos

It would be great to fix stability for "One Point" Bolted Connections obtained with "Follow Pattern" from part sketch circular patter.

111.jpg

22.jpg

74 Kudos
fsanchou

Use the same color for icons in dialogs box

by Active Contributor fsanchou on ‎09-12-2013 01:17 AM

Icon_color.png

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

New Idea
You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube