New Idea
5 Kudos

While using Intent for drawing creation, it would be very useful to be able to use a workpoint as an entity to attach a balloon/leader to.

5 Kudos

Sometimes it's more important to control the size of the view than the scale.  There should be a parameter that controls the size of the view (in sheet space), and then the scale should be automatically determined.

4 Kudos
FarrenYoung

Search in Properties Grid

by Mentor on ‎10-24-2012 08:57 AM

It would be useful to be able to search the properties grid.  I think it should be quick enough to just search as you type.  Also it would be good to have previous and next arrows to scroll through the results.

4 Kudos
FarrenYoung

Property Grid Favorites

by Mentor ‎10-18-2012 02:15 PM - edited ‎10-18-2012 02:17 PM

I would like to see a "favorites" option in the property grid.  This would allow us to check the star next to the rule name and mark it as a favorite.  Then we would have a third sorting option to sort by favorites.  I suppose the favorite sorting option could apply to both the categorized sorting and A-Z sorting.

Thanks,

4 Kudos
Jon.Balgley

"Nearest" drawing-curve for IvBalloon

by Board Manager Jon.Balgley on ‎10-11-2012 07:52 PM

There should be a different (set of) parameter(s) for IvBalloon that "simply" allows the balloon to be connected to the nearest drawing-curve.  Currently, the user must name an edge and that edge must resolve to a drawiing curve in the view -- difficult to get this right.  For IvBalloon, the easiest solution is just to allow a value of :Nearest for the "entity1" parameter.

4 Kudos
jan.liska

Visual rule authoring

by Employee jan.liska on ‎02-04-2013 11:27 PM

It would be useful to have visual rule editor where user could create rules visually using drag & drop similar to Visio or Dynamo for Revit:

Visual ETO.png

4 Kudos
FarrenYoung

#Region directive added to Intent language

by Mentor on ‎11-16-2012 12:31 PM

It would be very useful to have a #Region directive in the Intent language as there is in .net.

For those unfamiliar: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sd032a17%28v=vs.71%29.aspx

Basically regions allow you to expand/collapse sections of code.  This makes organization much easier.

#Region "Child Rules"
    Child testCenters As :IvSphere, Quantity = Length(testParts)
        origin =  GetTestPartPoint(child.index)
        ignorePosition? = False
        Radius = 5
        color = "Green"
    End Child #End Region

#Region "Methods"
    Method GetTestPartPoint(mIndex As Integer) As Point
        Dim xyz As List = nth(mIndex, testParts).CenterOfMass
        Return Point(first(xyz), second(xyz), third(xyz))
    End Method
#End Region
Good idea.
3 Kudos

It would be very useful if we had a couple of dropdowns that included Children, Methods, and Rules as it is with .net.  In .net, it lists all of the methods in the active class.  This would be useful in the Design Editor as well as in Visual Studio when you are working with design files.

This would be especially useful on large designs where you may have lots of rules and/or children.  You should be able to click on an item (ex. "Length") and the window will jump to that rule.

MethodDropDown.png

3 Kudos
GeorgeWilliams

Sort by values in the Properties grid

by Contributor GeorgeWilliams ‎10-25-2012 11:29 AM - edited ‎10-25-2012 11:31 AM

Sorting by the values in the properties grid will give us the ability to more easily find rules based on the expected values.  This is especially helpful when working on datasets by others who have not properly documented the rules in a way that it is easy to find the rules in question.  In the case below, I know that the tank is 72 inches tall from my measurement of the Inventor model.  If I could sort by the Values then I would be able to very quickly find that the associated rule is very likely TankHeight.  My understanding is that the grid below is a DevExpress grid and column sorting is a property setting.  That simple and quick change would be quite helpful for debugging.

3 Kudos

Tool or function to clean-up/remove orphaned member part files.  For example I have a project with about 3000 part files. I know I'm using only a fraction of these parts in the current design. These orphaned parts slow down other processes such as the up-load and down-load of the project to and from the server. Also, creates a burden to the server backup, while having little or no benefit once the design has been complete. I cannot just delete all of the member files and rebuild the model because any drawings that were already started or completed will be compromised.  

I'd like to hear from other users about how this would apply to your situation.
2 Kudos
kiruba

Workflow configurator

by kiruba on ‎10-18-2012 11:54 PM

Inventor ETO should have the capability to reverse engineer and configure from an existing iPart / iAssembly factory + incorporate rules from iLogic. There should also be an option to create configurations through a flowchart / flowdiagram rather than through code.

2 Kudos
FarrenYoung

Level of Detail Support in Assemblies

by Mentor on ‎11-19-2012 02:22 PM

It would be extremely useful to have Level of Detail support in assemblies.  It's very common for customers to use levels of detail in their drawings and without this built in one either has to code their own mechanism to create the levels of detail or set the hidden parts rule on the drawing views to hide the components that they don't want.  The hiddenParts approach is slow and leaves the customer with a drawing different than what they would create manually.

1 Kudo
james.snyder

Smart Connectors

by Contributor james.snyder ‎10-18-2012 05:05 AM - edited ‎10-18-2012 05:19 AM

Integrate the Smart Connector functionality found in Factory Design Suite into ETO. The ETO projects that I work on have many configured machines inside a main assembly. To have the ability to configure a machine, drag the machine onto the model window and then have it attach to a chosen piece of geometry would be a great addition to the user experience.

1 Kudo
Chris_Rogers

Sort IvPartsList

by Active Contributor Chris_Rogers on ‎02-14-2013 08:53 AM

It would be very useful to be able to sort the ivPartsList in Inventor ETO.  The user should be able to select a property to sort on and the direction of sortation.  

This functionality already exists in Inventor.

1 Kudo

The lightweight model could have a few components removed/suppressed or swapped out for less detailed components. Some out of the box controls with the ability to further customize using rules.

I'd like to hear from other users about how you would like this to work, and how it should interact with LOD representations and other Inventor capabilities.
1 Kudo
ludesroc

Identify parameters driven by iLogic

by Distinguished Contributor ludesroc on ‎10-26-2012 06:52 AM

Have a field in the ETO adoption wizard (parameters window) menu that identifies parameter being driven by iLogic. This  would prevent both iLogic & ETO from trying to modify the same parameter.

1 Kudo
bsee1

Demonstrate benefits of different ETO setups

by Mentor on ‎01-18-2013 10:37 AM

As it stands, the ETO documentation has improved greatly from a year ago.  What's lacking is documentation describing when to use specific features.  I suggest to make a best practices knowledgebase which answers questions for anyone looking to start a new project.

Some example answers might include:

• Benefits of Server vs series. Is there any reason to use server if everything will be used internally?
  • What is the best way to build a large ETO project when considering performance?
  • When should we use intent code vs push a function into a dll?(again considering performance)
  • If we wanted all out parts to be stored in a database that ETO can just call, what would be the first steps to set up the database and ETO to make them work together?
  • Best practices for using ETO to generate a document. (The current example is too small scale.  Maybe have an example that generates a document that will insert items to a loop of bookmarks)

This may look like a lot of suggestions at once.  All I'm asking is for someone who has built a number of ETO projects to put a bunch of advice somewhere ETO developers can read it.  The more topics covered the better.  

I'd be happy to clarify since each of these are problems I've run into over the last year. I'd be happy to clarify or give a longer list if anyone wants.

0 Kudos
alundr

Allow silent failure

by Active Contributor alundr ‎05-12-2014 12:04 PM - edited ‎05-12-2014 12:05 PM

Allow silent failure.  This would be a great help in drawings when dimensions fail to find the needed edges

example

Child LinearDimension_1 As :IvLinearDimension

part1 = viewModel
    part2 = viewModel

entity1 = "Edge1"

entity2 = "Edge2"

silentFail = True

End Child

I would rather the program fail to apply a dimension and complete then the entire program come to a screeching halt and end up with nothing.

0 Kudos
MattH_Work

Auto Indent

by Valued Contributor MattH_Work on ‎06-12-2013 02:18 AM

Can we get the Design Editor to automatically Indent our code, most (I say most as iLogic doesn't) other prgramming UI's do this already

0 Kudos
alundr

Make ETO accuracy consistent to something

by Active Contributor alundr on ‎02-25-2014 11:41 AM

This one might be hard to explain.  And a bit picky, but oh well.

I have a part that is 136.1875 inches long.

I want to scale the part down to be exactally 10 inches on my drawing.  So I apply the formula 1/(136.1875/10) to get the scale to apply to the view.

My viewscale that I see in the intent model properties is 0.07342817806333 which is close to the number I get with my windows calculator(0.07342817806333180357962368058743).  

However, when I look at the intent model width property I see a value of 10.0000000005782.  When I use 0.07342817806333 * 136.1875, my windows calculator shows 9.999999999999754375.  When I use 0.07342817806333180357962368058743 * 136.1875, my windows calculator shows 10.000000000000000000000000000001.  Where did 10.0000000005782 come from?

Anyway, I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the intersection of inventor accuracy and ETO accuracy?  Inventor's 100 millionth vs ETO's 10 trillionth = inconsistancy

~Andrew

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube