Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding ICE and shaders

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Danilo Mello
474 Views, 4 Replies

Question Regarding ICE and shaders

Hello!

I'm kinda beginner on Softimage, but i have a simple question that i couldn't find how to solve. already looked everywhere for an answer.

Let's say that i have an object, like a cube with a phong shader. I want to control it's diffuse color with ICE, but not just setting a color mate to the whole object, but adjust the surface color according to it's position in space.

for example, the cube is exactly at the center of the scene and i want to color it blue if it's above the XZ plane and red if it's below it.

i could use a texture for this example, of course, but im looking to use more complex math to create some colouring effects in objects, so, a texture migh not be enough for my needs. I don't need an incredible complex answer for this, just need to know how i can set such property and then i can figure the rest by mysef. =]

Sorry for my bad english =]

thank you for your attention.

running Softimage 2014 Student.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You can use the Data/Attribute and Data/Map Lookup shaders to read ICE attributes in a render tree.
Attributes stored on points and polynodes get interpolated across the surface.

So you can either store and read a colour directly, or use some other type of value and then use some logic to drive a colour switch or mix.

Grahame Fuller
Learning Content Developer
Message 3 of 5
Danilo Mello
in reply to: Danilo Mello

i see.

i explored this a lot, read the help fot these nodes and couldn't figure out how to do this =/

can you give me a simple render and ICE tree example for this situation?
Message 4 of 5

No problem. I should have mentioned that you need to draw a render region because the viewport doesn't understand these shaders. See the image for details -- it's probably simpler than you think.

EDIT: I just noticed that I misclicked and used PolygonPosition. I originally meant to use PointPosition but the principle is the same.

Grahame Fuller
Learning Content Developer
Message 5 of 5
Danilo Mello
in reply to: Danilo Mello

wow, worked as a charm!

the sad thing is that i have to use a high resolution mesh to have more detail (even with the interpolation).

can't thank ou more. i'm using this to create some animations to use in my classroom (im a physics teacher)

thank you very much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report