Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edgy strands

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
748 Views, 6 Replies

Edgy strands

Edgy strands....

What make the strands go edgy in this case?
I used a the "follow along curve" to make the black strands follow the colored curves. With wide and slow turns everything works fine. but when the turns get smaller and faster the strands develop these edges.
When I slow down the speed of the strands the edges disappear. So my solution would be to increase the substeps of the simulation.

Are there Substeps in ICE? Where do i find them?

Thanks a lot!
Egmont

Here are some pictures:

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hmm I still have no solution. Slowing down the animation and then rendering every 3rd frame wouldn´t be so cool there is a lot of animation connected. All the other animation would need adjustment.

It really has to do with the Frame steps. Segments of the strands is at 20!

No idea anyone?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hmm I still have no solution. Slowing down the animation and then rendering every 3rd frame wouldn´t be so cool there is a lot of animation connected. All the other animation would need adjustment.

It really has to do with the Frame steps. Segments of the strands is at 20!

No idea anyone?

Are you using 'Generate strand trails'. If so, then the segments parameter works the other way. The lower the number, the higher the number of strand segments generated - create a segment every n frames.
So, you might want to try creating a segment every 1 frames, to start.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks Ciaran!
I´m using "create strands" directly in execute on emit.
I tried to visualise the segments with these balls:
I think it´s not the segments that are causing the problem. As I said: If I slow down the speed of the particles they bend very nicely!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I suggest you try 'generate strand trails' to execute every frame for this effect.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I create my own strands from points (add point in a new point cloud) and fill interpolated arrays (it's linear interpolation with subsample tuning) to render strands with emRPC.
Message 7 of 7
Fragredocroix

I know your post is old, but i got the same problem and i find it hard to solve.

Here is the solution : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p2NxhFCCMg

To find answers, search for subframes and not substeps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums