Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wooden chair production process?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
AvihooI
1420 Views, 10 Replies

Wooden chair production process?

I'm personally not a mechnical engineering or a manufacturing process engineering student, nor a carpenter of sort - my field is software engineering, which is why I have very little knowledge when it comes to taking a design and turning it into a workable schematic/drawing so that it can be manufactured in the real world.

I have recently designed this: https://fusion360.autodesk.com/projects/simple-chair-design

Is it feasible to take this design and turn it into something a traditional carpenter can use to create a real world chair? I am assuming it would involve spliting the body to several parts, and for each create a toolpath so that they can be milled... then I'm guessing a carpenter can glue them together.

Is there anyone who specializes in this who can give some ideas/tips?

I'm doing this as a hobby - perhaps build one or two of those chairs to be had at home, not for some mass production line, therefore a super efficient manufacturing process is not required. I am guessing it's more like prototyping in a way.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: AvihooI

@AvihooI wrote:

I'm personally not a mechnical engineering or a manufacturing process engineering student, nor a carpenter of sort - my field is software engineering, which is why I have very little knowledge when it comes to taking a design and turning it into a workable schematic/drawing so that it can be manufactured in the real world.

I have recently designed this: https://fusion360.autodesk.com/projects/simple-chair-design

.. I am assuming it would involve spliting the body to several parts,....

If you are not going to make this chair yourself, and since you are not familiar with joinery - I recommend that you simply leave it as it is and create dimensioned 2D drawings to turn over to your furniture maker.  That person will decide how best to split up the parts for manufacture and assembly.

Fusion Drawing.png

If this is simply an academic exercise and you want to split it up yourself, find some similar chairs to examine how they were made.

Message 3 of 11
AvihooI
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

That makes sense...
What kind of detail do I need to incorporate? A simple drawing from every perspective is probably not enough, is it?
Message 4 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

I edited my response with another line (see above).

I would do a top, front and right side view with critical dimensions.  Preferably 1:1 drawing scale if you have a plotter that big.  That way the maker can scale the drawing for any missing dimensions.  Include a 3D view in the drawing to aid the maker in seeing your design intent.  (or give them the same url you posted above)

Message 5 of 11
cekuhnen

Hi there,

I am a product designer also working in furniture and I also grew up in a woodshop. If you want I could help you with your process.

There are certain shapes that will be time consuming but possible.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 6 of 11
AvihooI
in reply to: cekuhnen

Could you elaborate?

By the way, I did try to come up with a drawing but it felt rather clumsy. I obviously cannot portray all elements within the model by using numbers such as distance or radius of fillets and arcs.

If a carpenter should form the shapes by the eye wouldn't that be somewhat inaccurate?

Message 7 of 11
cekuhnen

There are two options:

you simply the shapes somewhat so that it will be easier to build by hand

or you slice the model in certain areas to get cross sections you can then glue together and later sand away the steps till you get the smooth surface and forms you desire - this of course is more complex and time intensive to do.

The model you have is also not easy to be translated to a carpenter by just some dimensions he/she needs more precise dimensions also for cross sections.

Can you share the model? I would slice it in a way I would build the parts and then those elements should get 2d drawings so the carpenter knows how to cut and assemble them.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 11
AvihooI

Of course,  how do I properly share it? (if I understand it properly, one cannot open a file locally).

Message 9 of 11
cekuhnen

easy thing:

you can download it via export archive and email it to me

info@ckbrd.de

then I do the adjustments for you and send it back.

There is a way to share it online as well but I have not looked into how to do this.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 10 of 11
AvihooI

Done

Message 11 of 11
cekuhnen

after having studies the chair it looks very much like that you can build it out of 4 parts.

left and side a mid seat section and a mid backrest body.

doted lines are split planes

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 9.19.21 PM.png

seat is a simple profile extrusion I could but on a bandsaw out of a wood cube (but this will be a big big wood cube)

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 9.23.05 PM.png

the backrest is tricky because of the arc - I would need dimension from the side to cut the block but then also

depth information to know how to cut on a bandsaw the arc out

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 9.26.52 PM.png

all parts could be joined via glue and internal wood sticks 

does this approach makes sense?

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report