Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to learn Fusion 360, resources???

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
CGPM
2174 Views, 16 Replies

Trying to learn Fusion 360, resources???

I am new to Fusion 360, and solid modeling, and am looking for any in-depth information available.  I have gone through most of the videos in the learning section but am looking for much more.  Perfect scenario would be a 1000 page book that describes every last detail of every option of every command.  I haven't found any books and no videos that go into very much depth.  Does anything like this exist yet?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
jamie.q.white
in reply to: CGPM

I am learning also.  I think nothing with that much detail exists. I'm not sure it would be helpful even if it did; my approach is to try and do what I want and experiment with different commends.  People on this forum have been very helpful if you ask a specific question.

-jamie

Message 3 of 17
patrick.miller

Hi CGPM,

Have you looked into the Command Reference sections of the learning area? This area describes each option in the commands. It's not something you would sit and read through. It's closer to what Jamie described. When you are trying something and get stuck, you can look up the function of a command and it's options.

Hope this helps.

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 4 of 17
CGPM

Yes, this is what I have been doing.  It is not an efficient way to learn a program. There is lots of fumbling around figuring out how to do something.  When you do figure it out quite often you are left wondering if this is the right way to do it or some backwards hillbilly way.  How many people have given up trying to learn this program because of this lack of a comprehensive path of learning it.  I would be too if it wasn't for Cam360.

I have been using the Autodesk learn resource videos and command reference.  Yes they are helpful but they just scratch the surface of what I need to know to use the program, and the command reference doesn't go into enough depth for each command.  My guess is the current learning resources cover less than 5% of the information needed.

I believe you, Autodesk, would get many more people to use this program if you had a resource to properly learn the program.  One that does not assume the individual knows much at all.  One that explains what tools are available, what they do, how to use them, and how to use the program to make various projects.  From the sculpted "rubber ducky" to precise solids with slots, ribs, holes, etc all in exact locations.  Like the "Missing Manual" books on Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.

Pssst-  Your learning videos need to be linked together so that when one ends the next one loads and is ready to continue, or just continues.  This would make going through them much faster and with better retention of the information.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Message 5 of 17
prabakarm

Thanks for the feedback.  This is certainly an area we have lot of work to do.  Few immediate areas we are starting to look at are...

1. Are we presenting the learning resources in a more relevant, task based context. 

2. Learning Path and eventually a learning portfolio.  A set of suggested path and resources to accomplish certain types of designs, tasks etc.  Currently it is a set of vidoes, tutorials not fully connected as you point out.

3. Ability to capture workflows and share it for learning purposes in-product.  We are also looking at how the community at large can engage.  This is will be based on Project Chronicle which has been out at Autodesk labs for sometime https://chronicle.autodesk.com/

As we evolve further we have this idea of providing relevant learning information based on user patterns.  For example, if you have been trying to accomplish a particular tasks with a set of commands/tools in the product, being able to suggest related commands or enchancements in the commands being used.  We have seen this done successfully and unsuccessfully in some of the non-CAD tools like Prezi.  We would like to try this working closely with users to see if it can be beneficial.  Any thoughts on this front?

Let us know of other ideas and thoughts you or other users in this forum might have which will help learning the product faster.  Thanks again for your input.

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 6 of 17
big_red_frog

Have you tried www.myigetit.com

They now have an autodesk fusion 360 course up online.

I hvent been through it yet but the previous inventor fusion course was useful for the early alpha.

and it was free at the time.

Message 7 of 17
big_red_frog
in reply to: big_red_frog

From the overview for autodesk fusion 360 basics

Overview: Autodesk Fusion 360 is a direct manipulation, feature based, history free modeler which utilizes direct editing workflows. This course will teach and demonstrate the basic features for the user to effectively interact with their designs. Using sketch tools along with 2D constraints, the user will add design intent to their dimensionally accurate designs. Using the solid modeling tools the user will create single body part and well as multibody part designs. Using T-Spline modeling technology users can create free form and organic shapes for use in Industrial designs. Applying the use of direct manipulation editing tools the designs can be refined and edited. With the use of 3D assembly joints their assembly designs can be realized within Autodesk Fusion 360. With a broad support for import formats, using Autodesk Fusion 360 gives the designer powerful and easy to use 3D editing tools for model modification of data from almost any source.

Message 8 of 17
CGPM

Thank you Frog!  I will do this and report back what I think.

Quick update.  It is a free course and there is sound.  I say this because the first time I ran the first video there was none.  There is a lot of training info here, not just for Autodesk products.

Message 9 of 17
CGPM

Just finished the igetit learning videos and feel much more comfortable with Fusion 360.  The videos start off at a much more basic level than the ones that Autodesk/ Infinite Skills provides and progresses nicely with a mix of videos and tutorials.  It does seem that Fusion 360 has changed a bit since the course was made but it still works.  The only problem I had was using the "Slice Sketch" command.  It did not work the way igetit said to use it and there is no information on this command in the Autodesk Learning Center.  The answer was found by noticing the commands icon.

Anyway, if you are fumbling around and it just feels that the program is over your head try this learning course, it worked for me.

PS-  It is my opinion that they did a far better job of making training videos for Fusion than Infinite Skills did.  I have started to go through the Autodesk/ Infinite Skills videos again but find it very irritating that you can't load and start the next video with a single mouse click.

Message 10 of 17
gschwartz9

I would treasure a book like Curt Waguespack's "Mastering Autodesk Inventor".

Message 11 of 17
Roland12345

+1 for the free iGetIt lessons - they are wonderful. I have to locate features exactly, so training videos where they just pull and twist and stretch and say, "There, that looks good!" are of no use to me. And the videos with no sound are infuriating. I appreciate the effort, but slow down and tell me what you're doing, for crying out loud! Cat got your tongue?

I'm about a third of the way through the iGetIt series. Although, as has been mentioned, it obviously was done with an earlier version, it's the best I've found so far. And thanks for mentioning the Command Reference. Somehow I missed that before. Since I'm accustomed to relying on snaps with my old 2D CAD, just the constraints reference will be a big help.

MacBook Pro / 8 GB / Sierra 10.12.6
Message 12 of 17
gschwartz9

Is there a written script on which the videos are based?

If so, having them would help.  Even with incomplete sentences, bad grammar, poor spelling.

Message 13 of 17
patrick.miller
in reply to: gschwartz9

For the Autodesk content, we do not have formal scripts. The videos were created by different authors and we did not require a script so you know how that goes.

How were you planning to use these? What problem are you trying to solve? This would help me understand how we might be able to fill this need.

Thanks!

Patrick Miller

User Experience Designer
Fusion 360 Learning
Message 14 of 17
gschwartz9
in reply to: patrick.miller

I'm self-teaching Inventor using Curtis Waguespack "Mastering Autodesk Inventor 2013".

I take the book wherever I go if I anticipate an opportunity for reading.   I go to the subject that deals with the need of my present project.  Hi-lighting and page-tabbing enable me to study and re-study the material, and to think about how it applies to my project.  When back on the computer I flip to that page(s) and work thru the issues.  (The pages I've visited often have a variety of food stains.)

I'm starting Myigetit for Fusion 360.  Although less well-suited for my learning style, it will certainly help. 

Also helpful would be a printed tree structure of the commands and sub commands in the three environments.  With that I could make notes on the "What" and "How" of each command as I use them in the tutorials.  I think I saw a reference to the tree, but don't remember where.  Can you help me find this?

I'm confident that Fusion 360 could replace Inventor for me once I latch onto the flow of the developers' thinking.  Presently that's a bit of a struggle.  I welcome any advice you can offer.
Message 15 of 17
AndrewSears
in reply to: gschwartz9

This link (Command Reference) is what I think you are looking for.  This will show you all of the features available in each environment.  I have not seen a printable reference sheet but I will look.

If you have any other modeling problems please start a NEW post so the community can help you faster.  You can also check out our (Learning Section).

Hope that helps you get started.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 16 of 17
thburn
in reply to: AndrewSears

Hi,

beneath video tutorials I also would like to have a 'normal' book to learn details of F360.

Of course video is nice but often I don't have access to the internet and then a simple book will do it.

Another benefit of a book is that you can read it following your own speed. Video tutorials sometimes show things you cannot really follow because things were presented too fast.

Sometimes important steps are missing so one cannot really follow. A book with step by step instructions would really help, this is my opinion. 

In Germany there is a book 'Inventor 2104' from Günter Scheuermann, but unfortunately only for Inventor. 

Last but not least what helps is the forum here - great!

Message 17 of 17
CGPM
in reply to: thburn

I just noticed I got an email from myigetit.com that they have updated their course to reflect the changes to Fusion 360.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report