Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim T-spline edge

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Damon360
1660 Views, 3 Replies

Trim T-spline edge

I have a T-spline face and would like to trim off the edge all around without changing it's shape. As a solid I would boolean, as a surface I would trim - Is there a way or best practice with T-splines?  Please see attached.

I have a sketch line projected onto the surface where i would like the edge to be.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
deyop
in reply to: Damon360

There is no concept of trimming on the T-Spline itself.  However if you have completed the shape definition with the T-Spline you could convert the T-Spline to a surface or solid and subsequently use the sketch with the "Split Body" command which you will find in the Modify dropdown of the Patch or Model workspace.  This would be the equivalent of trimming.   If you are using direct modeling (no timeline) then select the Convert command from the Modify dropdown or just select the body and use the right mouse button where the context menu will display the Convert command.  Parametric workflows would allow you to modify the T-Spline and then upon closing the Form the Split Body command would update your trimming.

Convert.png

An alternative would be to use the Sculpt - Modify - Match command.  With this you can define the boundary around the T-Spline edge and the sketch as the target edge.  This would not guarantee that the T-Spline would not change its shape.

Message 3 of 4
dcgall
in reply to: deyop

Following up on this, how would I "convert" the solid back so that I can continue to sculpt?

Message 4 of 4
deyop
in reply to: dcgall

If you are working in a paramatric document then you should be able to go back to the Form edit node and modify the original T-Spline.  Any downstream trimming or Boolean operations should then reapply when you complete the edit by selecting "Finish Form" on the toolbar.

Do I understand your question correctly?  The basic T-Spline form is maintained while the converted geometry can be further detailed in the Model environment.  The original T-Spline can continue to be modeled by choosing it in the timeline and selecting Edit with the Right Mouse Button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report