Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The browser Interface has too much lag

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
cekuhnen
866 Views, 23 Replies

The browser Interface has too much lag

I run with a GTX 570 the file is not complex and Fusion gives me a headage when selecting parts

in the browser because of the lag it constantly can have.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2QWV0MzRKZjIxY2M/edit?usp=sharing

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Thank you to post the problem.

It's really a big time lag when select parts. I got it from the video. But it's not easy to reproduce by other files.

Is it possible to attach your model to the forum? 

If you would rather not post the model here, we can arrange another way to transfer the file.

You also can email me if you like.

cathy.wang (at) autodesk.com

Thanks

Cathy Wang
Software Engineer
Fusion 360 Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 24
cekuhnen
in reply to: cekuhnen

This does not happen just with one file it seem to be a general interface lag.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 24

Thanks your quick response!

I can get the big time lag when I used a bigger file whose size is about 50M.

I will report the case into the internal issue tracking system and ask the development team to look into it.

Thanks

Cathy Wang
Software Engineer
Fusion 360 Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 24

Hi,

the responsiveness of F360 needs a lot of improvement, this is not a new issue. On 15th March I posted already:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/General-performance-question/m-p/4873824

This thread here is related to the same thing and was often discussed in the forum. Also opening a simple file takes more than 20 sec. this was also discussed earlier.

I've also created a video just with a simple circle and spline, you can see the delay if I drag over the circle and also selecting it and the delay until it gets selected (blue):

Since the vide does not capture every frame so in real live in real F360 the delay is more visible.

http://screencast.com/t/rYAFpjUnkFB

So this is not related to a big file or a scene with many objects. The delay is at any time.

I really wish we could get an improvement in the overall responsivness of F360 and also faster opening files.

Thanks a lot!

Message 6 of 24

Thanks all of you to pay attention to the performance problems.

I transferred them to developers. They will continue work on them.

Thanks

Cathy Wang
Software Engineer
Fusion 360 Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 24

here is a test file where it already started

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2cXB3MllHSjVKZDg/edit?usp=sharing

I noticed I need to let the mouse rest for some time before Fusion in the browser understands what is below the courser.

thats a pretty bad user interaction restriction because I work faster than Fusion can process my inputs.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 24

Thank you to post the performance problem and share the model!

I will transfer it to developer to fix it on an update.

Thanks

Cathy Wang
Software Engineer
Fusion 360 Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 24

Hi,

after the latest update I did a performance test and could not see any improvements :-(.
The interface is still very sluggish, see video I made a few minutes ago:

http://screencast.com/t/89ROjgrhFap

It takes sometimes 1-2 seconds if an edge / a surface is selected after hovering the mouse over.

If I select a body from within the browser it also takes 1-2 seconds until it gets 'blue'. 

So there is no realtime feeling coming up working with Fusion 360. This is really annoying!!!

Don't get me wrong but before adding new features, the development team should concentrate on improvements of performance in the dashboard but more important inside F360.

Other measurements:

- 40 sec. from start F360 until dashboard is opened / workable
- 18 sec. to open simple design (design as shown in the video above)

My PC is an Windows 7 professional with 8 GB of RAM. Processor is AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz.

There is no other software working parallel, just F360.

Why is F360 so sluggish compared to other software e.g. Blender, DesignSparc Mechanical, etc.?
Can we expect noticable improvements? When?

Message 10 of 24
cekuhnen
in reply to: thburn

That is indeed extremly laggy - this case I did only experience when there were many parts in the scene.

Did you turn every gaphic quality and edge selection mode down to low?

Claas Kuhnen

Message 11 of 24
thburn

Hi cekuhnen,

yes I did alredy, (sorry forgot it to mention).
Inside preferences I set

'Degraded selection display style' to 'Simple display...'

and

'Transparency effect' to 'Better performance'.

Even if I disable 'Anti aliasing' and switch of 'Environement Dome', 'Ground plane', 'Ground shadow' it's nearly the same.

Other software could do 'Anti aliasing' and shadows without any problem, it's nearly realtime. Only F360 behaves like a snail :-(.

At home on my Mac it is better, but I cannot believe that F360 consumes that much performance compared to other 3D / CAD software.

I really wish better performance in one of the next releases, no additional functions but better performance.

Message 12 of 24
cekuhnen

I experienced a similar problem where turning everything off did not really do much - turing off edge selection for TSplines for example however made the interface much faster - when working with TS of course.

Maybe try this out and turn everything of inside selection and see if a particular mode has a speed impact.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 13 of 24
thburn

Hi cekuhnen,

thanks for reply.

But turning off everything cannot be the solution. The features are there and all users want to use them of course.

The solution must be a better performance of the software at all. Edge / face detection is not a new feature of F360 it is based on simple mathematical calculations used for years in other sotware already.

As I pointed out in my last post other 3D / CAD or imaging software like Blender, DesignSpark mechanical, Gimp, etc. work without any problems.

All features inlcuding anti aliasing are switched on in those applications and they behave not sluggish at all.

And again, I am still of the opinion that Autodesk team should concentrate most on the development of performance improvements instead adding new features.

Realtime feeling and fluent working is key for any visual application.

Again my questions:

- Why F360 is so sluggish compared to other software?

- Will the developer team work on performance improvements?

- When we can expect results?

Message 14 of 24
jakefowler

Hi thburn,

Many thanks for the feedback & detailed information. Rest assured, this is an area we are taking this seriously, and with every update we are including changes aimed at fixing issues in existing functions & improving performance (inside the Fusion 360 team, we now have a core group of people dedicated to targetting these kinds of problems)

From your latest video, it does appear that the selection performance on your machine is abnormally slow, so we'd definitely like to get to the bottom of this. Might it be possible to get a bit more information?

1. Would it be possible to get the model/specification of the graphics card from this machine? 

2. Do you see this kind of 1-2 second highlight delay with a new file just containing a simple box? If not, do you have any idea what condition generally causes this problem to arise?

Many thanks for your help,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 15 of 24
thburn
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi jakefowler,

thanks for your reply.

I really appreciate that the support team takes this kinds of problems that serious, thanks for that!

I checked my system and dxdiag tells me I have an ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics adapter.

This is not a high-end adapter but as I told you other applications run very smoothly, including Blender, Gimp, CorelDraw, DesignSpark Mechanical, etc..

I created a new F360 project and a new design with just one cube now and created a video again:

http://screencast.com/t/3Zl50QhkLn0g

Message 16 of 24
jakefowler

Hi thburn,

Many thanks for the quick reply, and for the new video.

Our graphics developer took a look at this. They thought the most likely cause of poor performance was the halo effect used by default for highlighted entities. I'm not sure if you tried this already, but would it be possible to try setting the Selection Display Style to Simple in the graphics preferences?

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 6.39.35 PM.png

This prevents the halo effect from being drawn, which should speed things up.

If this doesn't make an appreciable difference, if it's possible to record a quick video of the selection behaviour with this option set to Simple, that would be very helpful.

Many thanks again,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 17 of 24
thburn

Hi jakefowler,

thanks,

I set the 'Selection display style' to simple now and indeed it is much better. It ist still a littlebit sluggish but much better then before!

But if I hover the mouse over the 'body' item in the browser you can still see that there is a delay between hovering and highlighting of the body.

I made a new video, take a look here:

http://screencast.com/t/CssdwXVCbh

BTW: How you can insert an image directly into the post here like you did?

Message 18 of 24
jakefowler

Great, thanks for letting me know, and glad to hear that this has given you some improvement.

And many thanks for the new video. You're right, there is still a noticable split-second delay between hovering and highlighting - this looks consistent with the issue Claas raised at the start of the thread. This is a more general issue, and is something the development team are looking into now.

Re inserting images: You should see an 'insert image' tool in the toolbar when composing a post:

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 10.46.38 PM.png

Is this tool appearing for you?

Thanks very much again,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 19 of 24
thburn

Hi jakefowler,

thanks for this information, and hopefully in one of the next updates the lag/delay problem can be solved.

Please let me know if so.

And thanks for the tip for the inline image.

Message 20 of 24
thburn

Hi,

I want to know if there is any update on this issue.

When we can expect a more fluent view port?

I still have these problems with the annoying delay.
And of course I don't want to keep every grafix setting to simple or low.

Thanks for any information

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report