Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T Spline Join

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
dcgall
2891 Views, 3 Replies

T Spline Join

I have a three-fold question regarding T Splines.

I would like to Intersect / Join / Merge 2 T Splines.  Please see the attached screenshot (Hip Joint.jpg).  The body, hips & feet are separate T Splines.  How can I merge them so they become one?

Second, I would like to create an edge that follows a curve.  Please see attached screenshot (Leg Side View.jpg).  I would like to create an edge so that I can sculpt that edge (push it in).

Lastly, can I slice a T Spline?  See the plane the objects are on.  thanks, 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
deyop
in reply to: dcgall

You could think of T-Spline bodies as networks of faces and each face is tied to another face at an edge.  This means when modeling the T-Spline body you are always working to build that network so it represents the shape you are looking for.  It is possible to create sharp transitions between faces with creases.

In the example you are showing you could convert the T-Splines into BRep solids and use the Combine command in the Model - Modify menu.  At that point you will have a sharp transition between the two T-Spline bodies.  That is one strategy.  If you are using a parametric/timeline document you could go back and edit the Form node to refine the shape and upon selecting Finish Form the combine operation will update.  This is how you would handle Slicing the T-Spline as well.  Convert it (which happens automatically in the parametric document) and then use a curve or plane to Split Body.

You could also develop the T-Spline body to develop the shape you want.  You can start with a simple primitive and through inserting edges and extruding faces create a more refined shape.  I am attaching an example file with some T-Spline bodies that may give you some ideas about how to develop the form.  Check out the learning materials under the Form area to get more information about developing the T-Spline form.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have questions.

TSplineBodies.png

Message 3 of 4
dcgall
in reply to: deyop

Since I have my shapes 90% of the way to completion, converting to a BRep
solid and then joining sounds like the best option. BUT, since I have 10%
more sculpting to do - how do I get it back to a T-Spline for further
editing? If this involves TIMELINE - I've turned it off.
Your other options are the obvious ones, but since it took me 2 weeks to
get these objects the way I want, I don't want to start over. I've been
down the road of trying to sculpt from one primitive object and - though
you may find it easy - my inexperience only led to frustration.

If there is no option of creating a T-Spline from my joined solid, I'll go
back to sculpt basics and struggle through it.

I appreciate your time. thanks,
Message 4 of 4
deyop
in reply to: dcgall

Converting a solid body back to a T-Spline is for the most part not an option.  Each face of a solid body or surface can be converted individually to a T-Spline but the overall shape cannot be converted to a single T-Spline body.

You can always change back to a timeline method by selecting the option in the context menu at the root component.  This will allow you to return to the Form editing mode for changes to the T-Spline and still return for "tweaking" the T-Spline.

Timeline.jpg

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report