Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetry lost

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
nkloski
324 Views, 4 Replies

Symmetry lost

Is there any sort of notification when symmetry is lost in the Sculpt environment?  I modeled a cylinder and then thickened it, but now I come back in the next day and start modeling and notice that symmetry is now removed.  Furthermore, I cannot re-enable it.

Fusion shoudl really tell you when you do something that will break symmetry, as enabling symmetry is a major thing for designs, and the loss of it can affect/completely stop the rest of the modeling on a model....a big problem!

I have attached the file here that both lost symmetry, and will not accept re-enabling symmetry (though Fusion will not tell me why I cannot reapply symmetry).  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: nkloski

This was suggested here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/ui-improvement-warn-when-symmetry-is-...

and is supposed to be incorporated into the next release.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 3 of 5
nkloski
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Awesome!  If "next update" means the September 2nd one, then even awesomer!  thanks!

Nick Kloski
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
deyop
in reply to: nkloski

We will give notification if symmetry has to be removed giving you the option to proceed or cancel in the next release.  

However looking at this model I think the problem lies in the results that the Thicken command provided. I found a self intersection down at the bottom.  Now in truth we should probably still apply the symmetry even with the self intersection but once it was removed I was able to reapply the circular symmetry.  Thickening isn't all that "smart".  It will offset each face along the normal direction and so in areas of high curvature like inside your model it could build offset faces that intersect.  We should give you feedback when this happens.  I will follow up to see if why we are failing to apply symmetry when there is a self intersection.

Sorry for the problem.  Hope this helps.

Thanks

SelfIntersection.png 

Message 5 of 5
nkloski
in reply to: deyop

Awesome, it does help, thanks!

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report