Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep along path gets twisted?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
thburn
1801 Views, 9 Replies

Sweep along path gets twisted?

Hi,

I created a coil. Then I used one path of the coil to sweep a profile along.

But for some reason the profile gets twisted along the path - why?

A video can be found here:

http://screencast.com/t/1oxBHU08

I tired to attach the f3d file but after clicking 'Post' it says:

The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type.

?!?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
herzinj
in reply to: thburn

Hi thburn,

I don't have a solution for your sweep getting twisted, but I know that there is an on-going issue with uploading f3d files to the forums.  If you zip the file up (.zip extension) you will be able to upload the file without a problem and we can take a look at it.

James

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 3 of 10
thburn
in reply to: herzinj

Hi herzinj,

Thanks for reply.

But I still need help on the twisted sweep...

Message 4 of 10
AvihooI

The reason you get a twist is that the sweep tool rotates the surface according to the change in rotation along the path. I am assuming what you want is the surface to simply go along the path without rotating at all. This feature appears to not be supported at the moment (though it might be possible to script it).

The tool I am proposing should solve the problem for you, since you'll be able to specify the twist rate along the path - you could specify zero change in rotation and that should get you the result you wanted.
Please vote this up:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/Add-quot-rotational-quot-iteration-ty...

I think we're noticing an increased interest in more refined and accurate tools to create solid bodies from surfaces and that's a very good trend which I'm sure will get backed by the devs.

Message 5 of 10
thburn
in reply to: AvihooI

Hi Avihool,

thanks for making it clear to me, I increased the kudis for your idea.

Seems that F360 is (still) in beta 😉

Message 6 of 10
thburn

Dear all,

it is almost two years ago when I had this problem with this twisted coil.

Still I need to create my own curl with a certain shape but still have this twisting problem.

Can someone tell me if in F360 a solution is available now?

Or how I can achieve this with a workaround?

Thanks...

Message 7 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

Can you attach your *.f3d file here today?

It appears to me that you are using two different sketch planes.

Do you have an image of something similar to what you are attempting to model?

Message 8 of 10
thburn
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@TheCADWhisperer: Thanks for reply. In the first post of this thread you can find a screencast what I want to do.

Meantime I could help myself. In the sweep feature I changed the type to 'Path + Guide Rail'.

Then I picked another edge from the coil as 'Guide Rail'. Now the sketch follows the curve as expected.

Message 9 of 10
rudi.mouchaers

For everyone how still needs the anwser.

If you use the type 'Path + Guide Surface' and you use the origin plane perpendical to the axis of the helix seems to solve the problem. I'm still trying to figure out why this is so.

Message 10 of 10

Thank you, your post was the solution to my problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report