Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL import / Mesh to BRep

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Chipsa
16667 Views, 5 Replies

STL import / Mesh to BRep

Hi,

In the features list, I found that it should be possible to convert a mesh (imported STL) into a BRrep surface, which I can then use further on. However, I'm unable to find that menu item in the Fusion 360.

Could anyone please guide me whats the best way to get the STL imported into a drawing and then convert the mesh to BREP?

I'm running Fusion360 2.0.1082 / Mac version

thanks!

Vojtech

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
AbdnAllHope
in reply to: Chipsa

I believe to see this option you must be in direct modeling mode.  

Right click on the root in the browser and select Do Not Capture Design History

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 12.18.57 PM.png

Then look under Modify/ Mesh/ Mesh To BRep

The same menu is found in both the Patch and Model workspace.

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 12.19.14 PM.png

phil

Message 3 of 6
deyop
in reply to: Chipsa

In the current release you can't access the mesh capabilities in a timeline document.  You will need to create a Direct Modeling document or change the timeline doc by selecting from the context menu.  Then you will find the mesh capabilities under the Modify dropdown on the toolbar in either the Model or Patch workspace.  In the next release you would be able to access from the timeline document by creating a Base Feature.  The mesh features will be available when editing the base feature.

Thanks

NoTimeline.jpgMeshCommands.jpg

Message 4 of 6
autodesk
in reply to: deyop

What is the best way to clean up converted BRep model?  Like merging triangles into faces, etc.

Message 5 of 6
deyop
in reply to: autodesk

Basically when the the conversion from mesh to BRep is applied each facet on the mesh is turned into a three sided face. The resulting BRep should then be valid for other modeling operations such as Combine or Split Body.  If you did want to merge faces you could use the Merge command in the Patch workspace to do so but it may not help in any subsequent modeling operations.  

Is there something specific you wanted to do?

Merge.png

Message 6 of 6
cekuhnen
in reply to: autodesk

To be honest I would say 99.9% of all STL imports are not suitable to be turned into BRep for serious further modeling.

If the mesh is very tesselated maybe I would use it as a 3D blue print to be used to rebuild the surfaces by hand.

If your STL model is more cubical and at best (maybe use OBJ instead) has quad faces you can easily turn cubical mesh objects into perfect BRep copies.

I used the last for a furniture project and it worked very well.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report