Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting a section of a body

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sanguish
523 Views, 5 Replies

Splitting a section of a body

I have an irregularly shaped section of a body that I need to split so that I have two pieces: one long piece, and the second which is shown by the face on the back of the item.

I'm not sure how to go about that at all. I'm honestly not sure it's even possible.

I'm enclosing two pictures, one from each side so you can get an idea of what I'm trying to make into a separate part.

I'd appreciate an idea. I had tried and selected the face from the backside and split with that, but no luck.

front face

Back face

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rishivadher
in reply to: sanguish

Hi

I would copy the body and cut on the first part

and on the second body copied would cut the other part

so there would be two different parts

best

Message 3 of 6
sanguish
in reply to: rishivadher

Oh, I see, so just extrude away the two areas on copies.

That should work. But seems like there must be an solution.

I think at one point I had a path I extended into a wavy surface... but I can't remember how. I could then extend the path used to sweep the tunnel, cut the part with it, and the hide that surface.

I'll try your suggestion.. thanks!

Message 4 of 6
sanguish
in reply to: rishivadher

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I was unable to offset the face of just that.
Message 5 of 6
sanguish

I was finally able to achieve this.

I stepped back through my model to before the path was drawn that was used with the sweep that created the half-circle tunnel.

I then make sure that the path for the 'tunnel' was in a sketch of its own.

Then I was able to repeat the sweep process. 

And then when I wanted to separate that two pieces I was able to select the body, and then then carefully select the path that was used for the sweep as the cutting tool, and it worked fine.

I ended up having to do a lot more work.

The end goal was to create a new bottom for a belljar that a phone sits in for charging. The tunnel was for the power cable. However in order to put the cable in, the top of tunnel has to be printed separately and have a key on the side that held it in place as part of the base.

From experience, it should print fine, but now I have to try it.

Here is a finished picture. I used an "as built" joint (genius feature!!) to have the key slide in and out so I could try and capture a shot with it out, but lined up.

Ember.png

Message 6 of 6
rishivadher

Super , the form is something that I wasn't imagined
Nice prints 😉
Best

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report