Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to add dimensions that do not constrain the construction?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
marc.liyanage
1107 Views, 4 Replies

Possible to add dimensions that do not constrain the construction?

I have a final model from which I'd like to print out some plans for cutting material. I'd like to add dimensioning lines, but I'd like them to only reflect what the model's dimensions are, not to influence its geometry. In other words, I'd like them to be just "dumb" labels.

When I tried to create a sketch and project some relevant geometry into it and then added a sketch dimension, the app complained that the sketch was over-constrained. I am using a lot of parameters in this model, width/height etc. are all variables/parameters.

Is such labeling-only dimensioning currently possible in Fusion 360?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AndrewSears
in reply to: marc.liyanage

This is not possible with the sketch tools.  We have been working on a documentation tool for Fusion.  It is currently in beta but you can try it out to make your manufacturing drawings.

Fusion Beta forum

Fusion Documentation Beta Download link  

Post your feedback about the Fusion Documentation beta here.  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-Documentation-Beta/bd-p/3008 

Hope this helps.

Andy 

Message 3 of 5
marc.liyanage
in reply to: AndrewSears

Thanks Andy, that sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

I saw that the beta is currently Windows-only, but I'm on a Mac. Let me know if there's a Mac beta build as well. If not, I'll either wait or perhaps try it in VMware, although I don't have a lot of time to set that up right now so I'll probably just wait.

Message 4 of 5
AndrewSears
in reply to: marc.liyanage

We are working on the MAC version now.  I wish I could tell you it will be soon but it looks like we have a few months before the MAC beta version will be available for you to test.

What other options do you have to create drawings?  Do you have Inventor or AutoCAD?

Andy 

Message 5 of 5
marc.liyanage
in reply to: AndrewSears

I just use Fusion 360, but it's OK, for my limited needs I can just do a screenshot and annotate some dimensions manually for now.

And perhaps I'll even find time to set up Windows in VMware, then I can play with the documentation beta.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report