Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Issues after Converting BRep Faces

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
mxstylie
762 Views, 10 Replies

Performance Issues after Converting BRep Faces

I have had no significant performance issues until I converted some Brep faces. I spent about an hour and a half troubleshooting and actually had my machine lock up on me twice. I have switched to DirectX9 and turned off timeline recording. I am basically to the point where the software very frustrating to use almost useless. No matter what I do it freezes up when I scroll around in the interface. It is really bad when I zoom in and out. It not only freezes Fusion 360 but my whole system and I can't even cnt/alt/del out half the time. I regularly run all types of graphics intensive software on this machine. Thanks, I hope this helps.

Intel i7-3740QM 2.7-3.7ghz, an Nvidia Quadro K3000M GPU 2gb, and 8gb RAM.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mxstylie
in reply to: mxstylie

Update.1

Day 2 with this issue... I have a more specific example. When I tried to convert this BRep face to T-Spline this morning my computer froze again. I could move my mouse for about a minute, then it stopped working, I tried cnt/alt/del, then tapping my power button, then hard power off again. This is a very simple drawing at this point, I hope there is a solution soon as I need to finish this model. I will not try this conversion again until this issue is addressed.  Thanks guys.4.png

Message 3 of 11
mxstylie

Ok so I lied. I tried again Smiley Surprised. I wanted to state that I am not doing the actual conversion, I am merely slecting the Brep with the convert command. Same result.

Message 4 of 11
joel.palioca

Hi Mxstylie,

Would you be able to attach the model so that we can take a look at it?  It looks like we may be having some performance issues, and hopefully I can recommend some solutions for you.  You can do this by leveraging the hamburger menu in the upper left corner and choosing export archive.  You can attach the file here or email it me to directly.

Export Archive_.png

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 11
mxstylie

This what I get when I try to upload the .f3d file

"The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

Message 6 of 11
joel.palioca

What browser are you using?  I knew we had this issue in the past, but I thought we fixed it in our forums.  The workaround that was used was to zip up the file and then send it that way.

I will reach out to our team about the upload problem with .f3d files.

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 11
mxstylie

I am using Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153 m

Apparently my file is too large so I put it here if this works for you https://www.dropbox.com/s/67zj51rt0c5g7gx/seat_1.f3d

Thanks,

- Levi

Message 8 of 11
joel.palioca

I have taken a look at the file and I have sent in the performance issues to be further investigated.  I have forwarded some of this to another on my team in hopes he may be able to provide some more information around converting the BRep faces to a t-spline.

If I may ask what is your intent after converting the BRep faces to t-splines?  This way I can better understand what you are trying to do so I can hopefully give you the advice you need.

The file you sent me is much larger than most .f3d files I see, I noticed you have a lot of other geometry in this model.  Were these imported in from another CAD tool or was everything modeled in Fusion?

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 11
jakefowler

Hey Levi,

I think you've uncovered an issue here. The Convert command is defaulting the Deviation values to 0.000in, which shouldn't be the case. T-Splines conversion will calculate a match of the input surface within these 'Deviation' tolerances, so with tolerances as low as this, it's trying super-hard to match the input surface precisely. This results in a lot of computing (= slow performance) and in the end will result in a T-Splines body with a lot faces (= large file size, and not a very practical T-Splines model at the end of it).

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.44.12 AM.png

We'll get this fixed so that this defaults with a sensible tolerance! But for now, I'd recommend raising these Deviation values (both of them) to an acceptable tolerance first, then click the model in the canvas. Or, in the Length Spacing menus, choose Uniform, which allows you to specify hom many T-Splines faces you have in both directions.

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.47.28 AM.png

If you've already coverted other parts of the model to T-Splines, I'd recommend re-converting those following the process above as well, which should cut down on the file size.

Sorry for the trouble, and many thanks for raising this one. Let us know if you continue to hit any problems.

Kind regards,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 10 of 11
jakefowler
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Levi,

Just a quick update. Looks like our QA team actually picked this up a couple of weeks ago, and a fix has already been made in our internal build. So this problem should be resolved after the next scheduled Fusion 360 software update.

Many thanks again for reporting this, and let us know if the workaround doesn't help,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 11 of 11
mxstylie

Sounds good. Thanks for looking at my drawing. I will just delete a few bodies and sketch them again. They are pretty simple.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report