Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offsetted plane cannot be moved in parametric modeling mode.

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
kingson138
517 Views, 11 Replies

Offsetted plane cannot be moved in parametric modeling mode.

Hi, is the "Move" command on an offsetted plane by "Construction" not supported in the parametric modeling mode? I found that I had to change back to basic feature mode in order to move an offsetted plane. Can this feature be added in the future? Or I might not had found the right way to use that command.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
AndrewSears
in reply to: kingson138

Hi Kingson,

You can move a plane in parametric mode by changing the parameter expression.  What do you see in the parametric dialog?  Are you getting some different behavior?

parameter dialog.png

Can you add a screen shot if you see something different?

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 3 of 12
kingson138
in reply to: AndrewSears

Hi Andy thanks for your reply. I think it might be easier to switch to "Create Basefeature" mode when trying to move an offsetted plane and then switch back to parametric mode in that case. It is just a matter of convenience since the plane cannot be selected to move in parametric mode. It will be nice if it could behave the same as in base feature mode. A little screen shot here. 

In parametric mode: Plane cannot be selected

Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 8.06.00 am.png

In Create Basefeature mode:

Plane can be selected:

Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 8.06.37 am.png

Well it is just a matter of getting used to the Parametric mode in that case.

Thanks for your help anyway! I appreciate it very much!

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 4 of 12
AndrewSears

You are going to loose important information about the model history by flipping between modes.  The history modeling environnment can move a plane because a parameter defines the plane offest distance. 

Give it a try and see if this is something you can get used to doing.  If not, offer some suggestions on how we can improve the workflow please.

Thanks,

Andy 

Message 5 of 12
kingson138

Hi Andy, I had to delete the message I sent from my Android phone and replace with this one. Sorry about that.  Your team had been very good in seeking out the little improvements needed and most of the thing I would like to see changed already did. Like the Directory Navigation problems I mentioned before is fixed finally. But using parameters in the Parametric Expression to move an offset plane is definitely not a good experience. Other objects can be moved by using move command on the browser but it does not work on offset planes

Actually we do have to move offset planes to actual position visually for many purposes and I think this should be an improvement to look into. Please try it yourself and you know what I meant. Plugging numbers into a table is fine but moving side ways (not just front and back) is very inconvenient. Switching to the "BasicFeature" part is still easier. It fits my daily workflow.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 6 of 12
AndrewSears

I understand now.  We just need to improve the move command to offer the additional side/up/down changes in a parametric design.  These changes to the work plane benefit your modeling style and do not require a parameter to move them.  

Can you add this to the idea station?

Andy 

Message 7 of 12
kingson138

Hi Andy, I will try to do that. Thanks for the understanding

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 8 of 12
kingson138

A little update, yes i already make an add feature request. This MOVE command actually works in the Parametric Design  mode if I switched to "Create Form". It does not work in the Parametric Solid Model mode.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 9 of 12
kingson138

This MOVE Command on offset planes not supporting up/down and sideway functions in model workspace might be a missing feature. It should had been there like in the non parametric model work space. It only works in the "Create Form" mode now. I think it should be added back.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 10 of 12
AndrewSears

Thanks for pointing this out and adding it to the Idea Station.  

Here is the link for everyone else to vote for this feature request if you are looking for it as well.  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/Move-Command-for-offset-planes-in-Par...

Thanks Kingson!  Keep hammering the product and helping to make it better!

Andy 

Message 11 of 12
kingson138

Hi Andrew, thanks for the wonderful reply but your path might be wrong. This is the correct path:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Fusion-360-IdeaStation-Request-a/Move-Command-for-offset-planes-in-Par...

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 12 of 12
AndrewSears

Thanks for adding the correct link!

Andy 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums