Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more copy components between designs??!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Yolmen
4923 Views, 7 Replies

No more copy components between designs??!

Ok I just noticed something innoing. I can't copy coponent from one design to other by Copy/Paste option. Is it just me or the more updates to fusion the harder (more complicated) it gets. Is there a simlpe way to copy one component .body from one "tab" (design) to other? Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SallyYang
in reply to: Yolmen

Hi Yolmen,

The copy/paste components between designs works in direct design environment, and in parametric design environment, we can only paste the component without any designing history, so you have to follow below steps to paste your component between designs:

1. In your original parametric design, copy the component;
  2. In the target parametric design, enter “Create Base Feature” environment;

Create Base Feature.png

3.  Paste the component to target design

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Sally,

I have attempted the method you describe to copy-paste a component from one design to another using the direct mode and it does not seem to work. Is there a trick to it?

Thanks,

Greg

Message 4 of 8
SallyYang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Greg,

Please check if you were trying copy/paste component like below:

1. Copy the root component node from browser? As the root node component cannot be copied, so you have to create a new component and move the bodies under root component to it.  

1.png

2. "Paste"(including hotkey Ctrl+V) is NOT working for component paste between designs, however "Paste New" command could be working, you can invoke it from marking menu.

3. Copy/Paste only work in direct designing environment, you can:

a) Create Directly Design at the beginning

b) Switch to Direct modeling environment with command "Do not capture Design History" in Parametric design environment.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 8
dcgall
in reply to: SallyYang

Is there anyway to copy sketches?

Message 6 of 8
SallyYang
in reply to: dcgall

Currently, copy/paste sketches from browser only works in Direct Modeling environment. There is a workaround to copy a sketch node in Parametric Modeling environment, you have to edit the original sketch, and select all sketch geometry to copy, then paste them in a new sketch.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 8
imurfitt

If you want to put one project design into another project, you can "control / left click" the file in the data frame of your projects and then "Insert ito Current Design". This is on a Mac but try something similar on a PC, I'll try it next time I am using a PC. This is pretty simple, so maybe not what you are trying to do.

Message 8 of 8
HughesTooling
in reply to: imurfitt

Here's a way to copy a sketch into another design. Open the sketch for editing, window select everything in the sketch right mouse click and copy.

Capture.PNG

In the other design create a new sketch, left click the origin to select then right click will bring up a menu with the paste option.

Capture04.PNG

Just click Paste and the sketch will be in the new design. This works with record history on, don't know if it'll work with it off.

Capture5.PNG

Mark

Edit. This can be useful if you want to copy a sketch to a different plane with in a design as well.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report