Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a plane that is centred on a cylinder

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
sanguish
7008 Views, 14 Replies

Need a plane that is centred on a cylinder

I have a cylinder that I need to have plane extending from.

I can't do a midpoint as it has no flat spots. 

I do have an axis down the center of the hole in the cylinder. It's also made up of two parts, joined by a joint. But the joint seems to be, odd.

Screen shot attached for both issues.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
deyop
in reply to: sanguish

You could create a tangent plane and then offset it to the center of the cylinder.  You will find these commands under the Construct dropdown on the toolbar.

TangentPlane.png

Message 3 of 15
deyop
in reply to: deyop

Also if you have an axis through the center of the cylinder you can use the Plane at Angle option in the Construct dropdown to place a construction plane through the center of the axis..

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Paul, Just to let you know that at the parametric mode the construction plane can only be offsets /moves forwards and backwards according to the arrow. It cannot be moved with the manipulator anymore because it is not there. So doing Loft with different construction planes at different angles require the DM mode. Parametric does not work.  Rings (jewelry) creation needs to use construction planes at different angle and I have to go back to DM mode for that now. I requested this feature to be added back a few updates ago. Hope you can check that out since you mentioned Construction planes here.

I am using a few types of Apple Computers depending on where I am but they all behave the same: Mac Mini I7,  MacBook Pro latest edition, iMac I7. All using the latest Maverick OSX

Message 5 of 15
deyop
in reply to: Anonymous

I'll check on the status of that and let you know.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Paul, I think the team's intention about moving offset plane is that at the parametric mode, planes can be constructed through three points, edges or planes at an angle (by drawing a line or selecting an edge) or other means.  Moving an offset plane directly is Direct Modeling. But I think it will be nice to be able to move an offset plane.

Message 7 of 15
sanguish

I tried a number of solutions.

Ultimately, I ended up redrawing the entire part of the unit that connected to that.

I needed a plane that was through the axis, and perpendicular to the z plane. but there wasn't an easy solution.

Message 8 of 15
deyop

When checking this I found a serious graphics bug which I reported. I agree that modifying the position of a plane would be useful.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks Paul.
Message 10 of 15
schneik-adsk

I'm not sure i understand.

The plane at angle create from the axis through a cylinder should do what you need based on the original question.

You can edit work geometry from the timeline in parametric mode. Am I missing part of your workflow?
Kevin Schneider
Message 11 of 15
amythechloe

surprised noone has mentioned plane on path. perfect for making little fit join circle things.

Message 12 of 15
chrisplyler
in reply to: schneik-adsk

I don't understand either.

I can change the offset of an offset plane in parametric/timeline mode.

I can also put a plane-at-an-angle on an axis at whatever angle I want.

I can use Loft to connect profiles on different planes at different angles.

Message 13 of 15
Beerbatter

This is exactly the best way to do it. Good advice.
Message 14 of 15
nsTGUX

Only 10 years late to the party 😅, my solution was to add a tangent plane on each side of the cylinder and then add a midplane between those two tangent planes. Works like a charm.

Message 15 of 15
davebYYPCU
in reply to: nsTGUX

Works like a charm, but hardly efficient.

use plane on Angle from centre line.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report