Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model corruption after assembling components

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
emil135k
330 Views, 2 Replies

Model corruption after assembling components

Team,

I feel like Fusion 360 created some internal corruption during the assembly process to where it thinks there is a bogus body, component, or feature out somewhere in infinity.  This time Fusion has zoomed out my model to make it unworkable.  As soon as I zoom in and click to rotate to start working on the model it zooms me out again (look at me but don't touch me mode 🙂 ).  I have included an f3d copy of this model.  Maybe someone can help me UNZOOM me back into working mode.

I must mention that sometimes as I work on the model, lines start appearing across the model environment.  These seem to be like ghost geometric figures or calculations and once it these phantoms begin appearing its time to reboot Fusion.  The assembly feature even though extremely powerful in theory; presently it seems to be rather unpredictable in its behavior when using multiple degrees of freedom such as I have attempted with this robot leg mechanism. 

I think it might have to do with tolerances, additive errors, etc and when it cannot figure out the geometry it rearranges components (jumbles them around and contorts them into one big mess). This jumbling arbitrarily and shifts joints, etc and can ultimately corrupt the model as it has this time.  At times it would require me to remove joints and re-apply them. This even happens when one attempts to lock joints down as well in an effort to clamp down on the degrees of freedom calculations that it must carry out internally. 

This last corruption; however has done me in for good unfortunately.  BTW, this behavior seems to have escalated progressively worse as I have been adding more joints and motions to the leg mechanism.  Its somewhat heartbreaking as the direct modeling approach is great for brainstorming and prototyping especially when used with the intuitive assembly capability if it were to behave properly.

Regards,

Emil

Regards,

Emil

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
schneik-adsk
in reply to: emil135k

Take a look at KneeFlxExtPstAssy
If you turn this parts origin on you will see it is WAYYYYYY off in space.

Deleting this part returns the design to a normal view extents.

What might have caused this part to move so far from its origin?
Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 3
emil135k
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for looking into my file, as to "..What might have caused this part to move so far from its origin?", the assembly process almost like a virtual explosion 🙂 that scattered the part off the grid :-)!  I have had instances of assembling one joint from one component from one part onto another and the component snapped or aligned to another completely different component, almost as if it thought the other part was the one with the joint of interest even though it wasn't.  I have been rearranging components and moving them under different tree structures to create a more logical, subcomponent structure.  Even though it relocates them under the new correct branch, I get errors with update of origins like the snapshot below, maybe something in the failed origins causes this scattering.  Its odd because I can align cylinders and pistons and hinges perfectly and when I add the joints it tells me it cannot resolve the geometry and marks certain joints in red and sometimes even rearranges other components relative positions and their motions get reversed.  When I run into these behaviors I will do a screencast recording and share.

Screenshot 2014-07-20 16.44.52.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report