Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging joints into solid body

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
LeonMF
570 Views, 5 Replies

Merging joints into solid body

I have a relatively simple design and I made some reusable components that I then assembled together with joints.  However, when I export the model using hte STL export from within the designer, the joint parts are all treated as separate items.  For example, when I slice the model using Cura, a simple rectangular body that has a joint in the middle would look like this:

-------------------

|        |         |

-------------------

However, I wan them to be one body so that the path looks like this:

-------------------

|                  |

-------------------

A simple way would be to merge all components into a single body but my inexperience has left me with a lack of understanding how to do that.

Any advice would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
schneik-adsk
in reply to: LeonMF

In the solid workspace in the modify panel is the combine command. I think that is what you are looking for to combine multiple bodies/ components into one.
Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 6
LeonMF
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Thank you, that was it.  It was a little tricky as it sometimes rearranges parts when it merges but I got it.

Message 4 of 6
Mike.Zhang

It'll be welcome if you can attached your model here, let us know what happened in your model about "rearranges parts".

We'll analyze it and give you some suggestions.

Thanks,

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
LeonMF
in reply to: Mike.Zhang

I went back and played with this some more and could not reproduce my problem. I will post an example if I am ever able to reproduce it.

On a related note. this does solve the problem but it requires me to go through the following process:

Export model -> import model -> combine model -> save as STL
or
Combine model -> save as STL -> promote previous version

This is a case where better model management would be nice. A clone model feature or something to streamline the process would be awesome.
Message 6 of 6
schneik-adsk

Great, copy model from the dashboard is coming in the Jan update.

For now you can Right mouse click at the ver top node in the browser and do a save copy as... This will copy the design to a new name in the same project as the open design.  You can then open this design, merge the bodies and delete it when done.

Kevin Schneider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report