Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing timeline design into direct model design...

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Helmi74
1149 Views, 1 Reply

Importing timeline design into direct model design...

...ist not supported yet.

I truly understand that not every feature could be implemented and once but i sometimes wonder what the supposed way is to ship around this missing features.

Let me give an example. Background: In my designs generally use many imported parts from vendors (Stepper motors, several bearings etc.) and also parts that i found around the web (GrabCAD, some parts from Kevin Schneider from the gallery). Every now and then there are parts you can't find from the vendor or in a library. Then i have to draw them myself. Actual case: a radial fan i use in a 3d printer design.

This is where timeline mode comes in. While unusable for me in bigger projects (like complete 3d printers) the timeline mode works very well when you are trying to create a 3d copy from some datasheet drawings. Mostly i just start with a rough outline drawing that i can use in my bigger projects and continue to add details later. That's why i want to keep timeline mode and not switch to direct modelling on these models. Problem is i can't import these models into my bigger projects without switching to direct modelling and loosing all that history.

Only solution yet is to export to hard drive, reupload and import, rename (and potentially create chaos) kill history mode and import it to the project then. This is a UX killer.

Isn't there a way to just "dump" design at the moment of importing and kill the timeline for that imported "copy".  That shouldn't be too hard accomplish!?

As much as i basically like the timeline/history idea it drives me crazy at least the same amount. Several stuff doesn't work in timeline mode and as i said at the beginning of this post. This is understandable from a coders view but i'm not sure if it was a good idea to already release it to public with that big lack of features.

For me i guess it's the best way to completely waive the advantages of timeline mode and make direct modelling my default again until timeline mode is in a state where it doesn't frustrate so much.

sorry if this sounds a bit rude again...

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
herzinj
in reply to: Helmi74

Hi Frank. This seems like a pretty reasonable request to me, assuming that I understand properly.  Is it safe to assume that you have already posted this to the IdeaStation?  If so, and if you know the link send it on over to me.  I can try and dig up where it might stand on the roadmap, though as you said, we can't implement everything.  Hopefully this is one we can make a difference on.

James

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report