Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import a Texture into Fusion

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
jeffchuber
15029 Views, 27 Replies

Import a Texture into Fusion

I have a mesh with a texture. I can easily import the mesh into Fusion, but I really need to bring along the texture map as well. Is there a way I can do this today? Are there plans to support this soon?

Thanks!!  

Jeff

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
jinhai.zhu
in reply to: jeffchuber

Hi Jeff, 

Currently, Fusion cannot import texture when importing meshes.  You can import the texture into materials then assign to the mesh again. Thanks for your suggestion about this and we will consider it later.

TextureInMaterial.png

Gavin

Message 3 of 28
jeffchuber
in reply to: jinhai.zhu

So just to confirm Gavin, this is not any any product roadmaps and I should not be expecting this for 1 year +?

What would it take to fast track it? It's extremely important for a closed loop, 3d scanning -> 3d modeling -> 3d printing workflow

Message 4 of 28
schneik-adsk

first, Fusion 360 releases every 6 to 8 weeks so you might not have to wait a year+.

Second, can you be a bit more specific on the workflow you need?

What format are you using to 3D print that is taking full color textures.

How will the texture update correctly as you make changes? What kind of changes to the mesh do you want to make?

thanks!

Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 28
jeffchuber
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hey Kevin,

yea - so I'm going to Point Cloud -> Mesh. You can do parametrization of a mesh and then project that texture onto the mesh. What this means is that the Mesh now has the same colors of it's component points and all the gaps in between.

I don't have a use for actually manipulating that mesh in Fusion yet - however - when I import a mesh and it comes in as a meshbody - it would be **extremely** useful to be able to see that texture I projected. This allows me to see features in the mesh that the geometry alone doesnt capture.

feel free to reach out directly! Happy to hope on the phone or screenshare or whatever to clarify some more 😃

thanks Kevin!
Message 6 of 28
jeffchuber

Hey Kevin, what do you think? 😃 Jeff
Message 7 of 28
schneik-adsk

I'm going to have the team working on mesh direct message you and set up a time to chat in the next few days.

Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 28

Hi! I just wondered if this subject is still being considered by the team? -When lying out t-splines on a reality capture it is kind of "the missing link" between snapping to a crude mesh and working with photos...

Message 9 of 28
colin.smith

Hi @jeffchuber

I'm Colin Smith, a product manager on Kevin's team who will be working on the Mesh projects this year.

I think I have an idea of what you are asking for but let's set up a phone meeting to make sure.

Please email me direct at colin.smith@autodesk.com and we can set something up.

Thanks

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 10 of 28

@colin.smith

Seems Jeff has not logged on since 2014, might want to get with one of us that currently has a use for this stuff.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 11 of 28

What he is asking for is actually fairly straight forward.

Most subdivision surface modeling software (3DS Max, Maya, MoDo, Blender, Cinema 4D .....) allow to UV map a texture onto a mesh. UV mapping is the keyword here.

The .obj file can save the UV map and the texture associated wih that. What he's asking for is that that teexture and the UV mapping are honored by Fusion 360.

In fact that is one of the shortcomings of Fusion 360s render engine that it lacks suport for UV mapping. The procedural wood textures address this only to a degree.

Try to map the striped texture of bent laminate plywood onto the ege of such a piece of furniture and you'll discover the curnt limitations

For example this chair was originally modeled in Blender. I can (and have) pefectly fine export the control mesh as a .obj file, import it into Fusion 360 and make a T-Spline out of it for furhter editing. I can also render the seat fine with Fusion 360 procedural wood textures. However, I cannot properly render the steam bent pieces of this chair becasue the textures would not follow hte bent wood grain but the pieces would look like they've been out out of a solid piece of wood.

My 2 cents 😉

Peter Doering
Message 12 of 28
lequiroz
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Hi Phil and everybody.

Excuseme I am just entering in this topic (Photo to 3D) and I have been searching the correcto workflow to achive what I want to do. According whit all the docummentation I've read, the process starts with the ReCap to generate a mesh model from photos, Memento has the ability to edit this mesh (slice,resize,etc).

What I need to do is modify the mesh WITH HIS ASSOCIATED TEXTURE and add more 3D objects to the model, can you please guide me what can I do to achieve this?. According with this conversation, Fusion 360 does'nt allow the texture of the mesh model I adquire form ReCap.

I work in the solar PV industry and I want to use this to insert panels onto the building we work.

Regards!.

Message 13 of 28
lequiroz
in reply to: lequiroz

anybody??
Message 14 of 28
colin.smith

Hi @lequiroz

Currently Fusion 360 doesn't have the ability to bring in a mesh with a texture. It is something that we want to be able to do in the future - but we don't have a set date at this time.

Colin

Colin Smith
Sr. Product Manager
SketchBook
Alias Create VR (aka Project Sugarhill)
Automotive & Conceptual Design Group
Message 15 of 28
TrippyLighting

What is it you want to do with these meshes after import other than adding 3D objects ?

Do you intend to use this for precise CAD work and manufacturing or is this for rendering and visual representation ?

If it is used for the latter, you may be looking a the wrong software. Software packages such as 3DSMax are much better suited to accept scanned and point cloud data including textures and color information.

Peter Doering
Message 16 of 28
lequiroz
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi.

The intent is to use the scanned data to generate a model and place or add  the 3D solar PV  panels (currently we generate a 3D model for the house and a 3D model for the panels using SKU), this in order to achive a better idea of how they will look or even if the space will be enough.

Additionally to this we can use this to generate renders to convence the client. According to this, what workflow do you recommend?

Regards!.

Message 17 of 28
PhilProcarioJr

@lequiroz

Currently you can not do this with Fusion. When if ever will you be able to? Not sure. You will need to use another piece of software to do this if you need this functionality right now.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 18 of 28
lequiroz
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

This can't be done with 3DSmax as TrippyLighting said?.
Message 19 of 28
PhilProcarioJr

@lequiroz

Yes @TrippyLighting was correct, 3dsMax, Maya could both do what you want. I was just letting you know that Fusion can not.

I do this kind of work all the time using Maya and Lightwave.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 20 of 28

Hello,

the last post of this topic is in April...

Is there any enhancement yet? Is it still in the road map?

I've tried to import an object with textures applied and a priori Fusion is still losing the UV's...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report