Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add text on a curved surface?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
sprior913
13817 Views, 6 Replies

How to add text on a curved surface?

I was designing a setup block last night and would have really liked to put the size text on the top rounded part, but couldn't figure out how to do that, so I ended up putting it on the flat side.  Can someone tell me how to put text on a curved surface?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
donsmac
in reply to: sprior913

Make a sketch at an angle, add text and extrude with the operation set to cut.

To make a sketch at an angle, you could use the Plane at Angle tool, choosing the origin axis as a pivot. Rotate the plane 45 degrees and offset another plane from that for your sketch.

Image 2014-06-08 at 12.11 AM copy.jpg

Message 3 of 7
sprior913

So there's no way to have text wrap around a cylinder or sphere?
Message 4 of 7
donsmac
in reply to: donsmac

Here I extruded the text using the extents set to 'To'. Then moved the new text objects in a bit and cut using the combine tool. Then fillet. 

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 12.59.03 AM.jpg

Message 5 of 7
donsmac

Make a sketch, use text tool, extrude text, then rotate and move the bodies into position. Use the combine tool to cut letters. Here I cut the ends of the extrusions with an inside cyclinder so the bottom of the cut outs are curved. The sencond snapshot shows the extruded text in position before the cut operation with the combine tool. Took all of a few minutes to do.

Once I placed each extruded letter in position to the cylinder, I positioned the move tool axis to the axis of the cylinder that i made with the axis through cylinder tool and rotated the the letters to fine tune the Kerning or spaces between the letters. It's back to manual type setting for typing on a curve. Someone else might have a better idea of how to do this. 

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 8.53.50 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 9.01.35 PM.jpg

Message 6 of 7
donsmac

Basically did the same thing here but, in the case of text on a sphere, you can choose all the letters making up a word, choose to move, and set the origin to the center of the sphere so you can rotate individual words or letters anywhere on the sphere at any angle.   

Screen Shot 2014-06-08 at 10.08.52 PM.jpg

Message 7 of 7
customizeitslu

HOW CAN I engrave on a WINE FLUTES... using 4axis cnc 6040z

example 

Tom & Mary - on one side

detailed WEDDING ogo/clipart  - on other side

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report