Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Crash / Crash Recover / Auto save failures

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Helmi74
365 Views, 4 Replies

Horrible Crash / Crash Recover / Auto save failures

Hi,

i already noticed some strange auto versioning/save behaviour and the fact that recovery files haven't always been there after a crash since the last update. As crashes didn't happen so often and i was not so much working on important stuff i ignored most of them.

But as this continues to happen i thought it would be time to report it. One specific thing happened now:

- my preferences are set to auto save every 30 minutes, crash recovery is on (and greyed out)

- i started a new design about an hour ago (it says 20:35 currently, it's now 21:40

- after drawing around a bit i had a crash (CER sent)

- after restart i got the message that a crash recovery file is available for this design (and another test design i had open in the background; it was open even longer and not touched for over an hour).

- i opened both of the recovery files and have been shocked: the state of both drawings was way old. The actual one i was working on was in a state where it was around 2 minutes after starting it. Also only one version existed online. The test drawing was in an early state way before i started the other drawing - around 2 hours old.

I tried to restore Version 1 from my drawing as i thought it must be definitely newer than the recovery file. Unfortunately this doesn't work. The Version seems to be crashed completely. It says it is 59 minutes old (note, no other automatically created version exists though it should on a 30 minute auto save interval). When i click the image to view it in the document viewer it is simply empty.

This is behaviour i haven't seen yet though i have already had cases where no crash recovery file was reported on restart after a crash and also some cases where auto save didn't happen in time. Are there known issues around that?

Anything i can do to help clearify this stuff? I think this is rather important stuff - i won't imagine having worked on an important file when this happens.

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ahsan.autodesk
in reply to: Helmi74

Hi Frank,

Thanks for reporting the issue in such detail. Fusion writes out a log file to the user's machine, which contains some useful debug info. Could you please send us this log file? That will give us some important clues as to what could have gone wrong.

On Windows, you can find this file here: "C:\Users\<Windows User ID>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\<A360 UserID>\AppLogFile<some number>.log"

On the Mac, it should be here: "/Users/<Mac User ID>/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/<A360 userID>"

Appreciate your help

Regards,

Ahsan

Ahsan Ali
Fusion Senior Software Architect
Message 3 of 5
Helmi74
in reply to: ahsan.autodesk

Here are two logfiles with names that seem to reflect the timeframe.

HTH

---
Frank / @helmi

Message 4 of 5
ahsan.autodesk
in reply to: Helmi74

Hi Frank,
We're working to resolve this for the next release. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ahsan
Ahsan Ali
Fusion Senior Software Architect
Message 5 of 5
Helmi74
in reply to: ahsan.autodesk

just wanted to leave a note that the same happened again. Crash before the first version gets saved (report sent) => no crash recovery file => empty file not data.
---
Frank / @helmi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report