Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File type for CAM ??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cc65
606 Views, 4 Replies

File type for CAM ??

Please help if you can..

I am trying to select a file type that can be read or translated into/by Mastercam.  I have sent a .igs and .stp .  I have been told they can see the object but they cannot use the surfaces to create a wireframe for machining.  Also, there is not a wireframe in my original object creation.  

What can I do to the original file (my object) or with my output file selection to rectify this issue?   Is it possible?

Thanks much. 

I jumped in; can't swim. Trying to learn quickly!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dcrouch9
in reply to: cc65

I saved a simple Fusion part as a .stp file and opened it in Mastercam X7 this morning without any trouble. Wireframe was there and I could create toolpaths. Like you, I've jumped in and I'm trying to swim too! I have made no changes to Fusion. What I'm running is right "out of the box".  I take it you are importing other solid models into Mastercam without problems?

Message 3 of 5
cc65
in reply to: dcrouch9

Yep. The importing is fine. Some files take some time though, so go make
a sandwich or something..

I sent my simple file out for quoting and was being told that they could
see it and use it for quoting, but they could
not cut from it. Hmmm.. so not sure what their issue was.

I'll shoot 'em a new .igs and .stp file and see what happens.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Message 4 of 5
AndrewSears

Tim,

Can you send me the .STEP and .IGES files you sent to the machine shop along with the original .F3D file?  Email to andrew.sears@autodesk.com.  

Thanks, 

Andy 

Message 5 of 5
adsloud

Hi Tim,

Thanks for asking. Not sure if you know that Fusion 360 now has CAM functions as well? If you click the Tools button of a Fusion 360 file, you can see there is a Create Toolpath command in its context menu. After clicking it, you can import the Fusion file into a CAM document and there are some good CAM functions you can try. 

ToolpathEntry_1.png

Another CAM entry is when you are in the Fusion 360 modeling environment, you can click the Create Toolpath from design button in the command line:

CreateToolpathEntry2.jpg

Hope you have a nice experience with Fusion CAM functions. Any questions please just let us know. Thanks.

Debbie Lou
Sr. QA Engineer for HSM CAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report