Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Internal and External threads that can screw into each other

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
doug.ford
441 Views, 3 Replies

Creating Internal and External threads that can screw into each other

I want to be able to design threads (internal and external) that can be made on a 3D printer. The external threads I can see, but the internal threads look like they are drawn on the inside of the hole. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: doug.ford

Attach your file here.

Message 3 of 4

If it is for a 3D printer than I would not use the thread feature. The thread feature is used to create standards based threads that match nuts, bolts and other fasteners.

These threads are often too fine for an FDM printer to reproduce even with good printing tolerances.

I typical use a coil feature where i can make the thread diameter square or round and a large enough size that the printer can print it without trouble.

If you make the coil a separate body at first you can us the combine feature to cut and join this on body to add the tread to one side of your design and subtract it from the other side. Just be sure you check the option to keep tool on the first combine.

Hope this points you in a direction that works.

Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 4
doug.ford
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Before I use the combine feature, should I use the allign feature?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report