Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get sufficiant wall thickness in shell

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
andersbitsch
1275 Views, 10 Replies

Cant get sufficiant wall thickness in shell

Hi

I have tried to recreate a shoe last from a 3D scan. The finished last is going to be 3D printet and I want to make it hollow so that when it is printed, i can fill it up with plaster material to give it some weight.

1.png

In the top of the last i have cut a cylinder shape. This is suppose to be the hole i want to use to fill the form afterwards. I then try to select the bottom face of the cylinder with the shell command to shell the body and remove the bottom face. The problem is that i am only able to chose a wall thickness less than 0,7mm which i doubt will be sufficient to print a stable model. How do i get a greater wall thickness?

Thanks, 

Anders

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

@andersbitsch wrote:

In the top of the last i have cut a cylinder shape. ...

Can you attach the file here?

Rather than cut a cylinder - can you Split the face with a circle and then remove that with the Shell feature?

Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the suggestion, but no cigar. I have also tried to make the whole thing a surface and the use the thicken command, but the same problem appears. I seem to be unable to attach the Fusion file, which is wierd since this is a Fusion forum?

Message 4 of 11
jakefowler
in reply to: andersbitsch

Hi Anders,

One workaround for the shell issue that might be worth trying is to use the Convert tool convert the face(s) to a T-Splines surface, and then use the Thicken tool from the Sculpt workspace to offset this by the required thickness (then convert this back to a solid/surface model for cutting the hole & 3D printing). This is almost certain to offset successfully; the downside is that this is not as precise as a regular shell, but it sounds like this would probably be OK for your purposes.

Apologies for the upload issue: this is something that seems to affect certain browsers. You can work around this by zipping the f3d into a .zip file, then uploading this. Let us know if that doesn't work. (If the above workaround works for you, it would still be good for us to take a look at the model, if you don't mind, to see if we can figure out what's going wrong with the Shell operation).

Many thanks!
Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 5 of 11
andersbitsch
in reply to: jakefowler

I think this is definitely in the right direction Jake. Now the problem i have is that when i try to convert it back into a solid from t-spline it gives me an error message "Some entities are degenerated". Sigh...

Here is how i made the body:

The body is made as a surface loft, which then has been converted to t-spline to edit the form of the body. Then it has been converted back into a solid surface where i have patched and stitched the ends.

Here is my plan of attack (if i could go past the conversion problems):
Now what i would like to do is covert the main body (not the ends) back into t-spline, offset it by 5mm, convert back to solid, patch the ends of the offset surface creating a "smaller" last inside the normal last, then i want to use the combine tool to cut out the small last from the normal last. This should create a hollow body, right?

I have attached the zip file so you guys can see if you can get past the error message.
I really like this program (i normally work in Inventor and Solidworks) but i seem to get stuck at error messages and crashes all the time. Too bad.

Thanks for the help!

Anders

Message 6 of 11
andersbitsch

Okay, so i have got past the error message. What happend was that when i offset my t-spline surface, the new surface mesh had gotten all tangled up in some places, which made it unable to convert back to solid

1.png

I Then untangled the ends, and i was able to convert it to a solid.

I followed my plan of attack and was able to cut out the "smaller" last. I hope you guys find a way to fix the shell problem because this seems like an awful lot of work to create a hollow solid 😛

Thanks for the help

Message 7 of 11
schneik-adsk

Did you loft this our use tsplines snapped to the mesh.

If this is a scan I would create the entire outer form using tsplines. It should offset with no problems.
Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 11
andersbitsch
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Using the t-splines was also my original plan, but the t-spline loft seems to tage a lot of liberties not actually filling out the sketches (see picture)

1.png

As far as I can tell, there is no object snap setting for the loft command. When i try to chose a smaller diviation, the body gets all crumpled. So this is why i went with the surface loft.

I also tried to use the t-spline pull command, getting a rather lousy result

1.png

But thanks for the suggestion 🙂

Best regards,

Anders 

Message 9 of 11
schneik-adsk

There won't be a one click answer with pull.  Can you post the mesh file and I'l record a screencast of my method for relaity caputre modeling like this?

Kevin Schneider
Message 10 of 11
cekuhnen

I think what you need to do here is to rethink how you work. I would create a bigger basic representation of the shoe last shell and then drag it or via snap start resketching a TS surface onto the scan data.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2YVZCMFpDWVZnZUU/edit?usp=sharing

The problem with both is that you need TS points at certain areas to maintain that shape.

In Blender I can build a basic box let it interactively re-mesh finer and then that mesh is snapped onto the surface. It would be great to have something similar in Fusion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2ZWVzMThOMGxOTUE/edit?usp=sharing

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 11 of 11
cekuhnen

I forgot to also say that I do not think a simple loft will do it because the ends need to be hand sculpted make it fit.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report